Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari admits everyone, including him, intoxicated by preseason hype over team

Maybe he was only trying to motivate his team as he insisted after the game. Or maybe, just maybe, Samford coach Ben Seltzer was just saying what other coaches and opposing players might be thinking.

Early in the first half of Tuesday’s eventual 88-56 loss to unranked Kentucky, Seltzer was overheard by a media member telling his team this was the “worst Kentucky team ever” even as the Wildcats were building a huge lead.

Kentucky was coming off back-to-back losses that dropped the Cats from No. 8 in the Associated Press rankings to being unranked — the biggest one-week fall in the AP top 25 ever. And Samford did come back to score 42 points the second half after managing just seven points the first 16 minutes of the game when UK took a 37-7 lead.

"I said they are not that good. I said a lot about this team, but it was all for motivation. I said they are human just like you,” said Seltzer after the game about what he said to his team about UK. “There is no need to go out there and be afraid. There are 24,000 people in the stands and not one of them can play defense so relax.So yes, it was all for motivation. Their still not as good as some of their other teams."

Blunt, but true.

This UK team doesn’t have a John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins or Patrick Patterson like Calipari’s first UK team that lost to West Virginia in the Elite Eight and was ranked No. 1 at one time. This team doesn’t have a Brandon Knight or veterans like Josh Harrellson, Darius Miller and DeAndre Liggins like the 2011 Final Four team had. This team doesn’t have an Anthony Davis or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, the top two picks in the NBA draft, or an experienced Miller, Terrence Jones or Doron Lamb like last season’s national championship team had.

It has the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class, a transfer from Wright State, one player with limited experience from last year, another transfer who sat out last year and has missed four games for personal reasons, and a former walk-on point guard playing key minutes.

“I think we all got intoxicated, including me, about everything that was written and said about this team. I kept telling you, 'We're not that good.' I'm looking, 'Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we're better than I think. Huh-uh,’” Kentucky coach John Calipari said after watching Samford shoot 58.6 percent from the field the second half.

“I like my team. I like my players. I got good guys. They're going to do what I ask them to do. If you demand a lot, you get a lot. If you accept mediocrity ... Obviously, I'm accepting something less than their best, and that's on me.”

So does he agree with Seltzer about this being the worst Kentucky team?

“Ooh. I haven't seen all the Kentucky teams, but I can't imagine there weren't a few that were worse than us,” he smiled and said.

There were. A lot of UK teams were.

This team has talent. Freshmen Alex Poythress, Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin and Willie Cauley-Stein have all been projected as potential first-round draft picks. But something just is not clicking with this team for 40 minutes each game. That’s why Calipari is so frustrated that starting Thursday the team will run each day at 7 a.m. and then have its normal practice in the afternoon. He said lack of conditioning has to be the answer for UK’s lackadaisical defensive play the second half.

“We're going to condition in the morning for the next three weeks and then practice because I can't think of any other reason why you wouldn't come out in the second half and play. I just don't understand that. Especially what we've been going through (losing two straight games),” Calipari said. “You need to learn how to play a full game. They had that opportunity today. So we have to chalk it up to they're not in shape.

“They will be. We're going to be the most in-shape team inside the next three weeks. We're going to condition in the morning, we're going to practice in the afternoon. Don't understand it.”

It’s only eight games into a long season, but one phrase Calipari uses about this team should be alarming to UK fans because it is to him.

“We just had no competitive spirit in those two games (Baylor and Notre Dame), no will. The way we played in the first half (tonight), we took these guys out. We played, blocked shots, took charges, played, like played basketball, competed against the other guy,” Calipari said. “In the second half we played like we did against Notre Dame and Baylor, which was, ‘If they beat you, they beat you. I didn't get there.’ Can't be anything other than that they're not in shape.”

He wishes. What worries him, though, is that perceived lack of competitive spirit and will to win that he takes pride in his team having.

Seltzer noted that his team was outplayed from the beginning — UK did have six players in double figures and freshman Willie Cauley-Stein had the team’s first double-double of the season with 12 points and 12 rebounds. He also said he never meant to imply “these guys aren’t very good” and not to take what he was saying to his team out of context.

“This wasn't a sense of 'this team can't play' or 'this is the worst Kentucky team ever' this had nothing to do with Kentucky to be quite honest with you. I was just trying to motivate my team. I guess being a new coach I have to be careful with all these ears around, especially when you play here at Kentucky. They are a good team. They are a very good basketball team. Quote me on that,” Seltzer said.

Okay, he’s quoted.

But also note that while he said Kentucky’s play had a lot to do with his team’s 20 percent shooting the first half, he also noted that UK’s play had something to do with his team scoring 42 points in the second half. And he was right on both counts. Kentucky dominated an outmanned opponent — Samford is 2-8 — as it should the first half. The second half, Kentucky coasted and that’s why Calipari was once again infuriated and now is going to see if he can make his team physically and mentally tougher with those early morning runs.
    Comments 17 Comments
      CatQuick -
      Even without the experience of Liggins, and Harrelson and Miller, I think this team can be better by the end of the year than that team. Doesn't mean we'll get the big shots to make the final four, but I think at some point, they will "get it" and we'll have a strong team in the tourney.
      anderwt -
      Your still drunk I see...we lost to Baylor at home, who just lost to Northwestern last night at home and pretty sure they had another bad loss at home earlier as well
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Your still drunk I see...we lost to Baylor at home, who just lost to Northwestern last night at home and pretty sure they had another bad loss at home earlier as well
      The truth of the matter on the Baylor game was we couldn't shoot, we couldn't throw it in the ocean, it was worse than when we lost to West Virginia in the final 8 with Wall and that group. Baylor is not that good and we lost at home, it was bad, bad, bad.
      goodycat -
      I am just not sure what to think or how to feel about this team yet. It's hard to get a read on them and, as a result, the next three months are a mystery to me. All we can do is trust in Cal and hope for the best.
      KSRBEvans -
      The Baylor game was an historically bad game offensively. They put up the worst Offensive Efficiency (0.73 pts/possession) of any UK team in the Kenpom Era (02-03 to present). If they just match their previous season worst OE (0.88, at Notre Dame) they beat Baylor. I think that's just going to be "one of those games" you forget about and move on.

The real problem IMHO is they're not that bad offensively, but they may be that bad defensively. I know it's a small sample size, but they have the lowest ranked 2pt FG% D (77th) and 2nd lowest ranked 3pt FG% D (171st) of any Cal team in the last 10 years. 1st half last night looked like Cal got their attention, but then they went back to bad habits in the 2nd half. IMHO that's what concerns Cal the most.
      badrose -
      At some point a kid has to get that defense is fun, it's personal, and a matter of pride. He has to think, "you're not blowing past me, you're not going to score on me, you're not going to get an assist." We had that in Liggins and MKG and it became contageous. We just need someone to step up and take that role and challenge his teammates.
      akaukswoosh -
      Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
      At some point a kid has to get that defense is fun, it's personal, and a matter of pride. He has to think, "you're not blowing past me, you're not going to score on me, you're not going to get an assist." We had that in Liggins and MKG and it became contageous. We just need someone to step up and take that role and challenge his teammates.
      Noel looks like the candidate.
      TNCat -
      Seems like they got it in the first half last night and then forgot it at halftime.
      KSRBEvans -
      I go back to that play MKG made in the title game with about a minute left. His man beats him and goes baseline, but he doesn't give up on the play--he hustles back and blocks his shot essentially saving the game. That's about the best you can hope for from a freshman; they'll make mistakes, but you hope they won't quit playing. I know I'm in a long line of people who've said it, but this team probably misses MKG more than any other player from last year's team.
      bigronhahn1011 -
      It seems to me that die hard UK fans are having a hard time swallowing the fact that this UK team is just not very good, not very good at all. Do they have the potential to get to be a good team this year? Sure, but they have a long, long, long way to go.
      akaukswoosh -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigronhahn1011 View Post
      It seems to me that die hard UK fans are having a hard time swallowing the fact that this UK team is just not very good, not very good at all. Do they have the potential to get to be a good team this year? Sure, but they have a long, long, long way to go.
      What are you talking about? We're great. Will beat UL by 20. (wink)
      UKHistory -
      Agreed. Kidd-Gilchrist was the kind of player who could drag others up the mountain top with him. MKG is a special young man and a special basketball player who would teach the young guys the necessary level of effort to win.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      I know I'm in a long line of people who've said it, but this team probably misses MKG more than any other player from last year's team.
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Agreed. Kidd-Gilchrist was the kind of player who could drag others up the mountain top with him. MKG is a special young man and a special basketball player who would teach the young guys the necessary level of effort to win.
      Once in a while I go back and watch the UT game played at Rupp when the UT guys tried to get thuggish. MKG was fired up, at one point I think he called at UT player a name. Winning and losing was a matter of pride. They refused to be pushed around.
      MickintheHam -
      Not sure how I feel about this Larry. It reminds me of the Presidential candidate who said he was brainwashed. I feel much better when our leaders keep their perspective.
      jazyd -
      I think the whole team last year had a will to win, and they were all unselfish. Miller came in game after game and hit big shots, had a big block or rebound, played tough defense. Lamb would hit a big 3 or drive the baseline. Teague got better and better and controlled both FF games at the beginning by driving and making them respect him. After Jan, Jones was a terrific player, rebounds, blocks, gusto, big shots. And there was AD who just did everything well, and in the final game when he coulnd't buy a basket as they abused him underneath he tells his teammates he will do the dirty work and they need to score.

right now, this team has all the talent, they just don't have the above and they don't have that leadership from guys who have been around Cal and know him and his system. Jared, Wilt are not leaders. Maybe Hood getting in early for practice, hitting some shots and getting minutes will rub off, someone needs to step up and force the rest to follow

Once in a while I go back and watch the UT game played at Rupp when the UT guys tried to get thuggish. MKG was fired up, at one point I think he called at UT player a name. Winning and losing was a matter of pride. They refused to be pushed around.
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      I think the whole team last year had a will to win, and they were all unselfish. Miller came in game after game and hit big shots, had a big block or rebound, played tough defense. Lamb would hit a big 3 or drive the baseline. Teague got better and better and controlled both FF games at the beginning by driving and making them respect him. After Jan, Jones was a terrific player, rebounds, blocks, gusto, big shots. And there was AD who just did everything well, and in the final game when he coulnd't buy a basket as they abused him underneath he tells his teammates he will do the dirty work and they need to score.

right now, this team has all the talent, they just don't have the above and they don't have that leadership from guys who have been around Cal and know him and his system. Jared, Wilt are not leaders. Maybe Hood getting in early for practice, hitting some shots and getting minutes will rub off, someone needs to step up and force the rest to follow
      Good point. I'm surprised, no, disappointed that Kyle or someone else didn't start up the Breakfast Club before the season started. There were lessons to be learned from last year and it hasn't happened. Frankly, I'm surprised Cal hasn't hinted at that story, or the Josh Harrellson story. Maybe he did and no one listened or took the hint, but that should have been a clue.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      It doesn't take a lick of talent to run the floor as hard as you can. Or to try to box out. Or to try to make the easy play instead of the pretty one. Or to communicate on defense or to try as hard as you can to rotate over on defense. None at all.

That's what's annoying. Some of these guys just don't hate and fear losing enough. They're sulking and withdrawing instead of bowing their backs, digging in and trying harder. It's that 'coolness' and timidity that Cal is trying to cure.
  • KSR Twitter Feed