Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Samford Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

UK is the defending national champions who lost their top six scorers from last year’s team. Say that five times in a row, and then take a deep breath. I had to do that after watching the non-inspiring performance against Baylor on Saturday and now I remember what an incredible task this young team faced this year. Having said that, it is still the beginning of December, so we should be looking for improvements. Without further ado, here are my things to watch for against Samford:

*Intensity from the start

Samford is completely overmatched in this game. We all know it. But I want the Cats to play like it from the start. I don’t want to see them hang around for a half and then slowly get put away late. I want to see UK show that they are angry over the losses so far and come out like it is a NCAA Tournament game. The entire team needs to be ready to go and pounce on Samford early and often. This is my first thing I will look for: Is this team mad about losing or just going with the flow?

*Wiltjer getting his groove back

Wiltjer has struggled shooting the ball the last few games we all know that. Why is it happening? Who knows? All shooters go through slumps, but if this team is going to be as good as they can be he needs to get his shot back. Now that there is a little less pressure on the team based on the opponent tonight, I am hoping to see Wiltjer get some confidence back in his stroke. If he can do that, this team will be dangerous come March, if not, well, offense will continue to be a tough go it appears.

*Poythress getting up shots

Poythress has been criticized a lot, most of which unfairly, but nevertheless he needs to be able to impose his will on the other team tonight. Poythress is shooting a ridiculous 67% from the field and averaging 15.4 points. This leads me to think that with this team struggling on offense, he has to get more shots. Poythress can shoot it from anywhere and until that field goal percentage dips down a lot, I would really like to see him get more shots. If he doesn’t take 10 shots from the field tonight I will be disappointed. Whether those shots are from deep or down low, he just needs to get some looks because so far this year he hasn’t missed much.

*Cohesion

I have yet to put this as something to watch for because I assumed it would come together naturally, but something is missing from this team, chemistry wise. I am not sure how to explain it, but they don’t seem to want to make the extra pass for a teammate or help on defense that well. It is more of a “me” mentality instead of a “we” mentality, especially on offense. We usually see the team make the greatest strides during the Christmas Break “boot camp” as Calipari calls it, but we also usually see the teams seem a little closer than this team does already. I don’t think it is an issue of the team not liking each other; it just takes a while to learn how to play for each other on the court. I am hoping to see this trend start to develop tonight.

There will be a new feature after the game. Per a member’s request, I will give feedback to each of these points based upon the performance of the team tonight.

Until then, Go Big Blue.
    Comments 4 Comments
      Doc -
      I'd add that tonight is a very important game as far as Ryan Harrow goes. Tonight he gets a chance to fit back into the rotation with some significant playing time. He needs to concentrate on doing what he does best. He needs to play like a point guard, make good decisions, penetrate when available and not force anything. There is no reason to force play tonight so he needs to concentrate on getting comfortable and Cal needs to foster that. The only way UK makes this into a memorable season is by getting Ryan back in the fold and playing as a team. Any team must function thru the PG so he needs to step up and lead this team.
      tyleradkins -
      I agree with that assessment Doc. It will be interesting to see how he plays tonight.
      CitizenBBN -
      Agree with everything you listed Tyler. Need to see strong effort and guys learning they are no longer the only good player on their team. I don't think it's selfishness as much as them just not having been in that situation and they just don't play that way instinctively.

I'll come or their ears will be bleeding by the end of the season from Cal ripping them.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by tyleradkins View Post

*Intensity from the start

This is my first thing I will look for: Is this team mad about losing or just going with the flow?

*Wiltjer getting his groove back

Wiltjer has struggled shooting the ball the last few games we all know that. Why is it happening? Who knows?

*Poythress getting up shots

Poythress has been criticized a lot, most of which unfairly, but nevertheless he needs to be able to impose his will on the other team tonight.

*Cohesion

I have yet to put this as something to watch for because I assumed it would come together naturally, but something is missing from this team, chemistry wise.
      Good ones to watch. I wonder if the "team only" meeting that occurred Sunday will help. Probably just the first step of many that are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tyleradkins View Post
      There will be a new feature after the game. Per a member’s request, I will give feedback to each of these points based upon the performance of the team tonight.
      Terrific idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      I'd add that tonight is a very important game as far as Ryan Harrow goes.
      Would love to see him play 30 minutes tonight, too, and run the team.
  • KSR Twitter Feed