Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Karl Towns Jr. shares his thoughts on why he chose UK

By: Tyler Adkins

Karl Towns Jr. made his college decision today and picked the University of Kentucky. He also made the decision to re-classify into the 2014 class and moved to #3 immediately in that class according to ESPN. Today I spoke with the newest Wildcat about his decision.

Towns made his decision based on a variety of factors but the leading factor was academics, “academics is big with me, I felt like UK, with their kinesiology program, really was in line with what I want in a university.” Academics was the main focus of his decision as he told me, but when speaking about the basketball program he said, “the program speaks for itself, they are the defending national champions and Coach Cal and Coach O are great coaches.”

Towns refuted that playing for Coach Calipari this past summer had any real impact on his decision, “it honestly didn’t have much of an impact,” adding “it really only showed me that he is a really good coach and cares a lot about his players.” He also spoke about what he liked about playing for Calipari this past summer and Calipari’s knack for pushing players is one reason that he chose UK, “Coach Cal really pushes his players and challenges them everyday, I like to be challenged and wanted to play for someone who would push me to get better and Cal does that.”

It is always a big decision for a young player to pick his college destination, but committing early also shows that a player is ready to get the mayhem of recruiting finished. Towns said, “I was just ready for it to be over, that way I can finish out high school and enjoy it instead of worrying about where I am going to school.” Parents always play some role in the decision-making process and Towns said about his parents favorite schools, “my dad was up in the air, he said he would be happy wherever I went, but my mom’s favorite was UK from the beginning.” Towns added “she didn’t try to push me there and told me she would be happy wherever I went, but I knew where she wanted me to go.” Even though he listened to his parents during the process, they didn’t find out until everyone else did about where he was going, “I told them they would find out when I announced, even when I was going on stage I wouldn’t tell them,” he said laughing. That is probably the reason you saw the excitement on his mom’s face when he said UK during the announcement.

Towns decision to re-classify into the 2014 class wasn’t really a move that he made a list of positives and negatives about, he simply said, “I honestly just felt like it was the right decision for me and it felt right.” He added, “when I thought about it I felt like that class would give me the best opportunity to go to UK and win a national championship.”

Known as a shooter, Towns said his biggest strengths are his jump shot and the fact that “I take a lot of pride in my defense, especially after playing this past summer on the Dominican team.” The Dominican team also gave Towns the opportunity to improve his low post game, “I have a lot of low post moves I didn’t have before last summer; working with Coach (Del) Harris really helped my low post game a lot.”

Towns is the newest Wildcat and one that the entire Big Blue Nation is very excited about, and based upon his mood after speaking with him, he is as excited as anyone.
    Comments 27 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Terrific interview, Tyler!
      tyleradkins -
      Thanks, he is a great young man and extremely mature. UK getting a good one.
      Darrell KSR -
      It is amazing to me that we have a little fanfare, and then we go back to business. Wow. We just landed the next superstar in college basketball (# 1 2015, top 10 2014 if not higher, and likely to go through the roof), and it's almost ho-hum for us now. Talk about us getting spoiled!
      Kacat -
      Helps ease the news I got on Wggins today.
      catmanjack -
      You shouldn't post things like that.
      Now we UK fans will have to know what you heard or is it pretty simple to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      UKRxman93 -
      I take it Wiggins to FSU based on your statemen KACat
      Darryl -
      We REALLY need Gordon or get Poythress to stay a 2nd season.

Darryl
      catmanjack -
      Not sure what it is but I just don't see Wiggins at UK for some reason.
      Hope I am wrong and probably am.
      catmanjack -
      Would enjoy Poythress for a 2nd year and Wiltjer for a 3rd those two would add a lot to the FR.
      UKRxman93 -
      After checking around it appears that AW was on a visit to Mark Stoops former place of employment today with his parents. Oh well, would have loved to have had him.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKRxman93 View Post
      After checking around it appears that AW was on a visit to Mark Stoops former place of employment today with his parents. Oh well, would have loved to have had him.
      Well, this is not over by any means. UK and FSU are probably neck and neck. He still will visit UK on an official. This is very similar to Shabazz. Gordon is very interested
      in UK and would not be as shot "needy" as AW. Poythress may come back for a 2nd year. UK could get Dakari Johnson. WCS and Wiltjer may return. FSU may tank their
      season.

Lots to play out yet.

Darryl
      Kacat -
      Not over but far from the done deal it once appeared to be. Lots of moving parts. The move to 13 was nit ideal for UK unfortunately. But we are going to be really good regardless.
      UKRxman93 -
      Not over but far from the done deal it once appeared to be. Lots of moving parts. The move to 13 was nit ideal for UK unfortunately. But we are going to be really good regardless.
      I was thinking if he had stayed 2014 it would be better for us as well, but still did not think FSU would be such a serious player. Would love to have him, but even Cal can't get them all.
      catmanjack -
      That's the thing is UK is going to be really good and you would hope the best player would want to be apart of that for his one season and not go though a bad season at another school.
      GhettoBird -
      I thought it might be good thing given a real shot at the National championship with the group we have coming in.
      CitizenBBN -
      If he's hesitant to come b/c he'd have to share the ball and play for his teammates then I'm not going to be all tore up about it. We'll have the best team in the nation, it's just a question of by how much.

If it's b/c he think Hamilton has a clue how to develop a player or run a team then I just feel bad for him. Anyone have Darius Rice's number to text him?

Long way from over. Lots of Towns to UF talk a while back too. Not doubting Kacat one bit, I'm not stupid, but he still has his official to UK etc. as Darryl said. If coming off his visit he is just wavering and not striking UK from the list we're still in it and hopefully it'll fall our way. Like Kacat sure wish he wasn't even wavering, but Cal is as good as it gets so hopefully he can make it work.
      Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      If he's hesitant to come b/c he'd have to share the ball and play for his teammates then I'm not going to be all tore up about it. We'll have the best team in the nation, it's just a question of by how much.

If it's b/c he think Hamilton has a clue how to develop a player or run a team then I just feel bad for him. Anyone have Darius Rice's number to text him?

Long way from over. Lots of Towns to UF talk a while back too. Not doubting Kacat one bit, I'm not stupid, but he still has his official to UK etc. as Darryl said. If coming off his visit he is just wavering and not striking UK from the list we're still in it and hopefully it'll fall our way. Like Kacat sure wish he wasn't even wavering, but Cal is as good as it gets so hopefully he can make it work.
      M
      u
      h
      a
      m
      m
      a
      d
      CitizenBBN -
      Exactly Jeeep. If he's going to come here and not be able to play nice with others he's a negative no matter how good he is individually.
      Kacat -
      Wiggins is a stud player and an incredible kid and teammate. Lets not put a tag on him because both his parents went to FSU and he may want to follow them. It ain't over and Cal is the best. Also he doesn't recruit "me" players. Muhammad would have been great at KY.
      CitizenBBN -
      Wiggins is a stud player and an incredible kid and teammate. Lets not put a tag on him because both his parents went to FSU and he may want to follow them. It ain't over and Cal is the best. Also he doesn't recruit "me" players. Muhammad would have been great at KY.
      I agree, and don't get me wrong I have a lot of faith in Cal. It wouldn't have gone this far if Wiggins was just flat selfish, but you and others have said reclassifying hasn't helped and I have to wonder if that's not b/c there's only one ball to go around.

Doesn't even mean his a bad kid or selfish, but kids do want to play.

You're right though, we (me included) need to not make those conclusions at this point.
  • KSR Twitter Feed