Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Irish shut down Goodwin, Poythress

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — In Kentucky’s first give games, freshmen Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin have been consistent double-figure scorers. The only time one didn’t reach double figures came in the opening game when Poythress had eight points.

But against Notre Dame here Thursday in a 64-50 loss, the two managed just three points each. Poythress played just 23 minutes after getting two fouls in the first five minutes and was 1-for-1 from the field with two rebounds, one assist and three turnovers. Goodwin went 1-for-7 from the field and had seven rebounds, five assists, one steal and one block along with two turnovers in 31 minutes.

“Alex got in foul trouble. Then they went at him defensively,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said. “That’s who they looked at and said who they were going at. I think they may have worn him out. We were trying to do things and post him up.

“Archie was playing out of control for the first time (this season). He has not played out of control. I think one shot hit the shot clock. He was out of control. At the end I said just get us a shot and don’t worry about getting yourself shots. But he is still learning. That’s what happens when you take a young team on the road in a place where they do not lose a whole lot.”

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey heaped praise on both freshmen going into the game. He admitted he was a bit surprised Notre Dame held the two, who were averaging a combined 37.4 points per game, to just six points.

“A couple of times we wanted to put him (Poythress) in a ball screen. He was on our guards a lot,” Brey said. “That is a tough matchup for a young guy still trying to learn how to play on the perimeter against a veteran guard. He got in foul trouble thank God and never got in a rhythm. Luckily, we did not have to play against him much.”

What about Goodwin?

“Eric (Atkins) stayed in front of a really good player all night,” Brey said. “I think being able to stop him in transition was big. Our ball screen defense was good tonight. Big East teams have ripped us up on that. Our two guards and quick and strong enough to get over top (of screens) and get a chest back in front. They did that and he (Goodwin) could never really turn the corner. I am pleased with the way we handled our defense.”
    Comments 6 Comments
      Jimcats -
      I would never have believed that Archie could play that poorly all night long.....until I saw it. I don't know what Coach was telling him but to the lay person (me) it looked seriously selfish when he kept taking hopeless shots rather than passing off to his mates. Man, I hope this is a game to get things out of their systems because IMO this was the worst game of the year---like growing from age 18 back to age 16.
      catmanjack -
      Archie is a scorer period and to ask him to play point is not a fair situation to put him in and he will have games like this all year unless Harrow plays the point.
      CitizenBBN -
      Archie sure is a born 2G, but it will help his game immensely to play the PG right now. Even as a 2G he has to learn to pass when the interior defender comes over. That's just basketball 101, and it'll happen no matter what position he's assigned.

he's a ball in hand scorer. He will have to learn when to drive when to shoot and when to pass. Playing PG will only accelerate his learning curve. He'll be better for it and he knows it which is why he's fine to play the position.
      cattails -
      Brey did not out coach Cal, but he did a masterful job at shutting down what he had to. My hat is off to an excellent job by Brey. Cal simply has what he has, a team that has a lot of talent but little understanding of how to play team ball on either end. This is going to take some time and against weaker teams we look good, but against a good team they expose our weakness' and we have many.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Archie sure is a born 2G, but it will help his game immensely to play the PG right now. Even as a 2G he has to learn to pass when the interior defender comes over. That's just basketball 101, and it'll happen no matter what position he's assigned.

he's a ball in hand scorer. He will have to learn when to drive when to shoot and when to pass. Playing PG will only accelerate his learning curve. He'll be better for it and he knows it which is why he's fine to play the position.
      Goodwin needs to mix his game up, he goes to the hole way to often and teams know that now. He has to learn that against good teams when there are 3 or 4 in the lane waiting for him he has to kick it outside because as we saw he had no chance to get to the rim and took some awful shots.
      catmanjack -
      More disappointed in how Poythress played and plays.
      He needs a fire lit under him.
      No one should be able to stop him really and he needs to be the one posting up.
  • KSR Twitter Feed