Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Willis embarrassed over ejection

Bullitt East coach Troy Barr says Kentucky signee 6-9 Derek Willis will be with the team Saturday when it plays in the Marshall County Hoop Fest even if he can’t play after being ejected from Monday’s win over Lafayette. He will also miss tonight’s game at Henry Clay in the Mr. Basketball Classic as part of his penalty after being ejected when he was hit with two technical fouls for protesting a call in the third quarter of Monday’s game. He had 14 points, six rebounds and three blocked shots.

“He’ll be on the trip with us,” Barr said. “What happened was out of character for him. I think it was a culmination of last year and the first two scrimmages of this year and then Monday night he comes out the first four minutes with a mouth full of blood after taking an elbow to the mouth with no call. For any man, enough is enough. I am not making excuses for him. What he did was embarrassing. I am embarrassed for him, our school, the athletics department, our team.

“In another way, I understand his frustration. But there is a correct way and wrong way to do it. He chose the wrong way. Why work so hard in the weight room to put 15 pounds on and then do this? Put that punishment out there on the other team and don’t yell at an official.

“He is embarrassed. He has already apologized to the team. We will deal with the consequences. He has to sit out two games and then will have some consequences with us as well.”

It had already been a rough preseason for Willis, who signed with UK in November. After doing “some good things in open gym” he suffered a grade three ankle sprain.

“He missed the first three weeks of practice,” Barr said. “He’s not near where he’ll be the first of January. He’s only had 10 to 12 practices.”

Barr said his team will go to Marshall County Friday so it can watch Huntington (W.Va.) Prep and Andrew Wiggins play and also get a chance to see twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison of Texas, both UK signees, also play.

“It is a great event and we are excited to be part of it. We are excited to see Wiggins and the twins play. It’s fun to be part of it and see it and get to play as well,” Barr said. “Even without Derek, we have good players.”

Barr sees 6-5 Rusty Troutman, who had 32 points and seven rebounds Monday, as a Mr. Basketball candidate. Senior point guard Trey Rakes had 17 points and five assists Monday.
    Comments 7 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      I respect their attitude about it, but it doesn't bother me. Definitely need to put your frustration into the other team but stuff happens. Bummer he wont' play at Henry Clay though.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Liking his spunk!!!
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I respect their attitude about it, but it doesn't bother me. Definitely need to put your frustration into the other team but stuff happens. Bummer he wont' play at Henry Clay though.
      or against Hoptown at the Marshall County Hoopfest on Saturday!!

I was really looking forward to seeing him, but whatever. Stuff happens.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by blue2ksr View Post
      or against Hoptown at the Marshall County Hoopfest on Saturday!!

I was really looking forward to seeing him, but whatever. Stuff happens.
      Yep, meant to list both games. That part is the only negative I take from it but it's a big one for him and the fans.
      LarryVaught1 -
      blue2ksr, I will be at Hoop Fest Friday night and Saturday. look me up
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      blue2ksr, I will be at Hoop Fest Friday night and Saturday. look me up
      Start with the section where the cheerleaders are sitting.
      blue2ksr -
      Will do! Looking forward to meeting you AND the cheerleaders!!
  • KSR Twitter Feed