Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari on Harrow today

John Calipari says that freshman Archie Goodwin has solidified himself as Kentucky’s point guard, but he will play sophomore Ryan Harrow at Notre Dame tonight to gauge where he is after missing the last five games due to illness and personal issues.

“He’s done good in practice, but to say that he’s ready for that (against Notre Dame), I don’t know yet. We’ll see. I may throw him in that Notre Dame game just to see where he is. We’re still learning. It’s November. But we’ll see,” Calipari said. ““Archie is our point guard, so I hope he’s comfortable in that position. But it gives us a chance now to play with two point guards on the court, which my best teams have had two point guards on the court at one time. So we have that opportunity now.”

Calipari said Goodwin earned the point guard role with his overall play.

“Now it doesn’t mean he’s our only point guard. Now we have three point guards (including Jarrod Polson), which is even better, really, than having one point guard. And you can put two on the court at one time, which is even better — against zone, against pressing. So it’s good for us. But he’s learning the position and doing well and getting better game to game, so he’s earned the spot,” Calipari said.

Harrow said he thought Calipari had been “more positive” toward him since his return to practice Sunday. He lost about 10 pounds during his three-week absence and went home last week due to a family issue.

“He had just been gone so long that you start thinking everything I said was negative. I’m coaching him exactly the same. You know, it’s amazing how when I ask them, ‘OK, who in this room am I being toughest on?’ Seven guys will raise their hand. They all think it’s them,” Calipari said. “So they only hear what’s directed at them, they don’t hear what’s directed at anybody else. I’m coaching him the same. I’m happy he’s back.”

Harrow also noted that he felt some pressure trying to be the next in line of star point guards Calipari has had — the last five years he’s had a freshman point guard become a NBA first-round draft pick.

“They’re all different. I’ve told them all the same thing. It’s all how you want to look at things, but it shouldn’t be. He’s not expected to be those guys,” Calipari said. “Nerlens (Noel) isn’t expected to be Anthony (Davis), nor was he expected to be Marcus Camby. I coach them all to play to their strengths and try to help them be the best version of themselves. So that’s never talked about within. Maybe sometimes, you think of that yourself, but that’s not what we teach or what we want.

He’s a good basketball player. He’s quick and fast. He can get to the basket. He can score the ball. We need him to be the energy bunny out there, making plays defensively, scrapping out the game a little bit. He can do all the things we’re asking him to do.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Thank you sir. I imagine that one of the hardest thing for a coach to do is to crawl inside a players head and see and hear what the player sees and hears.
      bluecat24 -
      Hopefully Ryan gets some playing time and shows that he is ready to compete. He has unlimited potential and should be on the court.
  • KSR Twitter Feed