Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Parents of three players share concerns about football

Kentucky players got no indication at a Monday morning meeting on who the new UK football coach would be.

Parents of three different players, who did not want to be identified for fear of angering UK officials or any coach, all said their sons were anxious to know more about who will be coaching them next season. All three also said their sons had no plans to leave UK.

“What worries me is it is time to be recruiting and I thought by firing Joker (Phillips) three weeks ago that UK would have a new coach in place by now,” one parent said. “They need to be recruiting, maybe even looking at junior college players for some help. The kids are frustrated, especially the seniors, and wondering about the future.”

Another parent was a bit shocked by what his son told him. He indicated there was “no word yet” on the coach, which he could accept. However, he didn’t like what he heard that UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart told the team about needing to give a better effort and that played a role in Phillips being fired.

“Seems a bit petty,” the parent said.

A third parent wants a new coach and staff to “not play as many favorites” and use the most talented players all the time.

“You deserve to play if you earn it. You don’t deserve it just because you have been around or a certain coach likes you more,” the parent said. “Look at Vanderbilt. That guy (James Franklin) can coach. He has recruited well, but he has also coached well. He has emotion, fire. UK was missing that this year. I like the way (John) Calipari handles his team. He gets the best out of all his kids. He wants players to play defense and play together. If they don’t, they sit. He runs the show and demands that players perform or he plays someone who can.”
    Comments 16 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      he didn’t like what he heard that UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart told the team about needing to give a better effort and that played a role in Phillips being fired.
      He does not know when to engage his brain before he opens his mouth
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      However, he didn’t like what he heard that UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart told the team about needing to give a better effort and that played a role in Phillips being fired.
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      Another parent was a bit shocked by what his son told him. He indicated there was “no word yet” on the coach, which he could accept. However, he didn’t like what he heard that UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart told the team about needing to give a better effort and that played a role in Phillips being fired.
      Jimmy Dykes ‏@JimmyDykesLive
      If players say they need to go harder in practice and " bring it" every day, that's on the coach. It's either taught or allowed to happen.

https://twitter.com/JimmyDykesLive
      Philly Cat -
      Dan, that one doesn't bother me, for some reason. I think it's impolitic, for sure, but a lot of us said the same thing all year long. Moreover, it's helpful to the new coach to emphasize early that the players will be expected to raise their game next year.
      dtalbersjr -
      I'm sure Terry will have some way to spin this as a positive that speaks to the many virtues of Mitch.
      MTcatfan -
      Absolutely pathetic...Plus Mitch needs to realize that if he really feels lack of effort doomed Joker, in all explanations that is on Joker. Either Joker couldn't find a way to motivate them, which is a failure of the head coach or Joker made the team not like him and effort was the only way for the team to express their dislike, which again is a failure of the head coach. Bottomline is that Joker did not coach this team well enough to succeed, and the team didn't succeed.
      CitizenBBN -
      However, he didn’t like what he heard that UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart told the team about needing to give a better effort and that played a role in Phillips being fired.

This paints in another part of a picture of a man who was really good friends with Joker, didn't want to fire him, and has blamed everyone but Joker for his failure.

It gets uglier every day IMO. Maybe I'm looking for reasons to conclude that, but I went into it thinking he was maybe hopeful JOker would win but not tanking the program for personal ties. I keep looking up and I'm farther down that road.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      I think Mitch's comments have made things worse on Joker. most rational fans felt bad for Joker and really wanted him to succeed but realize that he had to go. However, all the "fairness", "microwave society" and "personal agenda" remarks made by Mitch has completely turned some of these same rational fans against Joker. I know people that have nothing but disdain for Joker at this point. Many of us wish him the best but many others could care less. It's a shame too, because Joker has handled himself with class in this entire ordeal.
      Rock Hard Ten -

At the end of the day, MB took good $$$$$ care of Joker, his close and dear personal friend. Joker took good care of his player favorites. It is cultural starting with MB. MB needs to be canned!!!
      jazyd -
      Yep, and if the BOT doesn't do it, then need to be released from whatever capacity at UK they have. This is ridiculous.

Mick has said for two years that Joker plays favorites, had a former player tell him that. Many discounted it, well I hope everyone believes it now. It has shown for years but most just overlooked it. I am sorry but I am so glad he is gone and not just because of his coaching. I realize players, some that is, talk great about him but those are probably his favorites. Look what he did to Towles, didn't know what his good traits were, basically screwed up his redshirt year for a few plays a game. Joker has almost destroyed this program that he supposedly loves. BS is what I call it. There is al ot more I could say but won't, just glad he is done with UK
      And Mitch needs to follow him out the door and quickly. What a waste of valuable money on those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post

At the end of the day, MB took good $$$$$ care of Joker, his close and dear personal friend. Joker took good care of his player favorites. It is cultural starting with MB. MB needs to be canned!!!
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Yep, and if the BOT doesn't do it, then need to be released from whatever capacity at UK they have. This is ridiculous.

Mick has said for two years that Joker plays favorites, had a former player tell him that. Many discounted it, well I hope everyone believes it now. It has shown for years but most just overlooked it. .
      Not sure how anyone could have missed it with one of his biggest such moves playing QB.
      dan_bgblue -
      Jazy, I am not sure Mick was first to say that. Could have been, but the first time I saw Newton, I said he needed to be practicing at tight end, and I had never seen Moss play and he was the next in line.
      jazyd -
      I know Mick and I both said Newton should not have been recruited as a qb. But Mick was the first I remember saying that a player had told him that Joker definitely played favorites. and if you remember I was against Newton from the start, and that Fidler got screwed by Joker after the AU game when Joker and everyone wanted to give credit for that win to Newton. If one really looks at the qb situation since Newton came, the answer is very obvious, at least to me it is. That player also told Mick that Joker would tell the players and staff one thing during the week to what they were going to do, and on Sat would do just the opposite. Now think the UF game this year with Newton being named starter at the last minute. I think there was a huge rift on the staff this year, and a big one with Sanders and Joker. Larry has told us that Joker and Minter are huge control freaks. I may be way off base but I doubt Sanders was really the OC this year and last, I think he just did what Joker told him and had little to no input in what was done on Saturdays. I bet there was also a rift between Chuck and Minter with Minter always complaining about the LB's, which has always been our strongest point on defense since Chuck got here.
      This whole thing has been a mess with Joker, from firing Rich's coachs' and hiring just his buddies, to putting Minter in charge, the playing of favorites, bad play calling, lack of fire with the team, jsut a total mess.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Jazy, I am not sure Mick was first to say that. Could have been, but the first time I saw Newton, I said he needed to be practicing at tight end, and I had never seen Moss play and he was the next in line.
      Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post

I concur. Mitch hasn't "purely pissed me off" before but this does.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      I don't know that is important who is the first to say anything on a message board, but I do recall making a post at Wildcat Chat in one of the threads shortly after signing day when everyone went nuts over our terrific signing class and the two QBs who were going to lead us to bigger and better bowl games. My observations were based on having watched MN twice in high school. One game I specifically recall was Carmel v. Cathedral, two top rated HS teams in Indiana. I was very underwhelmed with what I saw in that game - a QB that was not an exceptional passer and a guy who appeared to get tangled in his feet every time he had the ball. His feet stayed in one place too long. He had mechanics that needed a lot of work. In the four years since there has been some improvement in the footwork and he has worked hard on improving the delivery of his passes. But, as we all now know, he just never made enough improvement to be a BCS level QB.

I am not sure why we are talking about this now. But, Newton had talent. He just never was a QB. I feel terrible for the guy. He is intelligent and very likable. I regret ever posting a word about him as I typically don't post much about the players. I just don't like piling on. But I guess back in the day I was pissed with people getting on Hartline's case and others going ga-ga over a guy who I thought was clearly playing the wrong position. But hell, saying anything negative about Newton's qb skills back then was like telling a group of 14 year old girls that Justin Bieber looks like a dork.

I'd rather not get into the "Joker plays favorites" thing. I'm sure I made a few posts but I don't ever recall using the term favorites, although it was commonplace on the old board. I knew a couple of the players through my daughter's association with them. I saw and spoke with them several times. I also spoke with a player's mother. The stories among all of them had a consistency that you knew it wasn't just sour grapes. There were issues keeping the best players off the field. Who knows the real reasons? There also appeared to be issues among the coaches being reported by one or two of the parents and the coaches.. And from what I saw this season on the offensive side of the ball, I would say there were some real issues with the coaches giving guidance to the QBs and running backs. There were also reports that I read by trusted beat reporters (not jackleg bloggers) of some discordance this year among the defensive coaches.

All of this smacks of poor leadership and I would say it started at the very top. The leadership qualities I am seeing displayed with many aspects of the coaching transition also seem to leave a lot to be desired. It's not what you expect from a top dollar guy.
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      I'm sure Terry will have some way to spin this as a positive that speaks to the many virtues of Mitch.
      Hey, not fair to pick on Terry before he even opens his mouth!
  • KSR Twitter Feed