Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• How the Petrino rumor got going

J.R. Greer of London knows numerous ex-Kentucky football players and often communicates with them as well as his former college roommate through Facebook.

That’s why Friday he thought he might have a little fun with them and posted a message that Bobby Petrino had agreed to become the next Kentucky football coach.

“If I could get any coach out there, I would get Petrino,” said Greer. “I go to every UK game and tailgate. I love Kentucky football. I just decided to post Petrino was getting the job and figured my friends would get all riled up and react. I never dreamed it would go outside my small network of friends.”

It did. And it did in a big way.

Internet message boards spread the word. Radio talk shows spread the word.

Eventually Greer had to go on Facebook late Friday and post this message: “I want to apologize that earlier I wrote that Bobby Petrino would be our next coach. My post was in humor as most all my post are (if not pictures of family or friends). We support UK and the Big Blue Nation and trust Mitch Barnhart will make the best hire possible for UK."

However, Greer admitted he “had hundreds of friend requests in a matter of minutes” with people hoping the news about Petrino was true. He even got a message from an assistant coach at a well-known program asking him to pass along his name to Petrino because he wanted to work on Petrino’s staff at Kentucky.

“That let me know fans not only deserved a quality football coach, but expected strong leadership from the UK administration and Mitch Barnhart,” Greer said. “I am just not sure Mitch Barnhart and the UK administration are doing enough to inform fans. Throw us a bone and let us know something.

“People were calling and sending me messages that they were praying for this (hiring Petrino). My little voice was not supposed to be heard this much. It just really steamrolled out of control. That’s why I had to apologize.”

Greer’s father is regarded as a major UK booster and his family has numerous season tickets to UK basketball and football.

“We have a close relationship with the athletics department at Kentucky. We want to stay friends and not raise a stink,” Greer said. “UK football is bigger than any fan or booster. We trust them to make the right hire.”

However, because Barnhart announced the firing of coach Joker Phillips three weeks ago via social media and with no press conference, Greer says that likely gave his comments about Petrino’s hiring more validity than they should have got.

“The thing is this hire could have a big impact on Mitch’s future. I would have thought he might want to get some people together and see what fans, boosters, ex-players want in a coach,” Greer said. “If he chooses the wrong coach, UK football could spiral downward more than ever. We don’t want that.

“I think my thing with Petrino was driven by hope and fear. Hope because a lot of fans want Petrino and were hoping it was true. Fear was driven by people scared that Mitch is not going to make the right choice and he will hire the wrong guy. It was like people thought if they helped steamroll this Petrino news it might actually come true. But trust me, I never imagined it would become the huge deal it was.”
    Comments 15 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      We all have anxiety in getting the wrong guy, but we don't have much to do with the hiring. I had anxiety about the last election, didn't get the guy I wanted, but what can I do but roll with it and hope things work out
      UKHistory -
      Larry,

By Friday you mean this week or when you first initially heard that Petrino was going to be a serious candidate?
      TheFabFueder -
      The last two paragraphs speaks volumes about our situation.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Larry,

By Friday you mean this week or when you first initially heard that Petrino was going to be a serious candidate?
      Friday as in yesterday.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Not a football guy, but really want our program to succeed. Tom O'Brien is retiring from NC State per the rumors down here. One of my NC State folks told me last night when I was discussing the Harrow situation with him that big NC State money are interested in Petrino too, but they are hearing he will end up at UK. Again, I'm clueless!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      dan_bgblue -
      CW he could have been basing that on the early April's fools joke from last night on Facebook.
      catmanjack -
      I almost hope everyone turns Mitch down and he has to turn to Petrino.
      Then I hope things turn out just like with Cal, better then expected.
      TheFabFueder -
      I was hoping Mitch would get his first choice and the BOT says try again.
      kybobcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      I almost hope everyone turns Mitch down and he has to turn to Petrino.
      If that would happen, Mitch would hire Phat Phil.
      catmanjack -
      Still think the BOT will have a say in the hire. We will see going to be interesting how it plays out.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      CW he could have been basing that on the early April's fools joke from last night on Facebook.
      Could be Dan....I don't pry much when it comes to football. Sort of go with the flow. I sure hate to see Tom O'Brien go from NC State though. He is a good guy. Met him a few times on charity events I've worked. NC State will be swinging for the fences. The have a great team and recruiting class coming back.

I Pray the Cats get a Homerun hire honestly, but just not feeling it based on you guys!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
      Could be Dan....I don't pry much when it comes to football. Sort of go with the flow. I sure hate to see Tom O'Brien go from NC State though. He is a good guy. Met him a few times on charity events I've worked. NC State will be swinging for the fences. The have a great team and recruiting class coming back.

I Pray the Cats get a Homerun hire honestly, but just not feeling it based on you guys!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      I've heard James Franklin will be a lead candidate for that job, bc of Maryland ties with Yow.
      Jimcats -
      I can't imagine a real Kentuckian, son of a major financial contributor who probably carries some weight in the hallowed halls, knowingly telling such a lie in a forum that's open to the world, then trying to pass it off as a joke intended only for some close friends! He ought to just hush for a while.
      Terry Blue -
      He said much of what he says on Facebook are jokes
      BarristerCat -
      J.R. is a fun-loving, outgoing guy. I think he was being very honest with Larry there. He's also saying a lot without exactly saying it.
  • KSR Twitter Feed