Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Few football coaching tidbits

1. A few days ago Kentucky denied a report that it had offered Cincinnati coach Butch Jones its head coaching job. However, today the rumors are swirling again that Jones, 48, is the man No. 1 on UK's list.

Could be, too. He was head coach at Central Michigan from 2007-2009 and went 27-13 with three straight bowl appearances after taking over for Brian Kelly. Ironically, Kelly went to Cincinnati and when he left there for Notre Dame, the Bearcats came after Jones.

He's 21-14 with one bowl appearance and 7-3 going into his last two games this season. However, in Big East play, he's only 10-9. That's due in large part to a 2-5 mark his first year, but he's only 3-2 in league play this year and his team managed only three points in a loss to Rutgers last week.

He turned down a more lucrative offer to go to Illinois last year because he apparently felt his chances to win at Cincinnati would be better. So would he come to Kentucky when the perception remains that UK places far more emphasis on basketball than football? Would he want to try to rebuild a program that plays in the nation's toughest football conference? Would he be taking too much of a risk on eventually landing a more high profile job if he came to UK and did not win as history indicates would happen?

Still, the buzz is that even though Jones may have been approached earlier by UK and said no thanks, he's still No. 1 on the search list and apparently UK officials believe he's still in play.

One slight problem for UK is that his team has a game tonight and another one next week. That could push UK back another week hiring a coach if Jones is the man. Of course, if he's the right man, that's no big deal. But we'll see.

2. Kentucky has told Ron Caragher thanks for the interest, but no thanks. Already got a candidate in mind basically.

3. Told not to believe any Petrino rumors.

4. Sonny Dykes still on list, but nothing close to an offer and he's getting interest from others already
    Comments 45 Comments
      Catonahottinroof -
      Shame about Caragher. He could do the job in my mind.
      BarristerCat -
      Ugh. Just ugh.
      Catonahottinroof -
      I wonder if Cincinnati is actively courting an ACC deal now? They are a slightly larger TV market than the Louisville area is and the ACC would be on TV in the B1G's market where the have no foothold currently.

If the ACC is an option for Butch, he may not want to leave for the trainwreck of UK football.
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks for the update. It did not make me happy, but forewarned is forearmed. It seems like the search has been very narrow in scope. To turn down Caragher without any true interest from UK is just foolish unless they already have someone signed.
      lymand -
      Still not sure why Jones is considered the coach to come to UK and turn things around, unless Brian Kelly had just left.
      Darryl -
      Here's a thought..Fire Mitch.

Darryl
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl
      Yesterday.
      KMSBball -
      Would prefer Caragher
      to Davis. Big East football is terrible this year and UC is mediocre at best.
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl
      Gee, that's never been mentioned here before.

TRUCKERCATFAN -
      This search is going just as I expected. I don't care who I offend but Mitch is pathetic and clueless. Why anyone would think that Butch Jones can win in the SEC when he has clearly struggled with a 10-9 record in the horrible Big East, just blows my mind!

Cue the Mitch apologist posters....
      ukpumacat -
      WIsh I had never clicked on this thread. Thanks for the info Larry, but wish you would make stuff up to make us feel better.
      UKFlounder -
      This thread is pretty typical - discussion about the search is hijacked into whining about Mitch. I guess if you have no information about the search or any opinions on what Larry posted, just whine about Mitch. It is the low-hanging fruit after all.
      catmanjack -
      Because most UK fans know that Mitch is going to screw this hire up.
      And UK will be in the same position in about 3 years.
      ebarbaau -
      Fire Mitch,hire Howard SMELLYBURGER and watch the football program explode!
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      This thread is pretty typical - discussion about the search is hijacked into whining about Mitch. I guess if you have no information about the search or any opinions on what Larry posted, just whine about Mitch. It is the low-hanging fruit after all.
      He's the easy target. He's the only one doing worse than Joker.
      UKFlounder -
      The more i see, the less i disagree with that, but I don't see why it must be made in a thread like this - there have been plenty of threads to discuss Mitch.

Maybe it's just me and, if so, my bad.

I just hope the search ends soon so we can discuss the hire nd not all these rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      He's the easy target. He's the only one doing worse than Joker.
      BigBlueBrock -
      The reason these discussions devolve into complaints about Mitch is because the common thread in the coaching search is "we may have to settle for less." That common thread is traced back to Mitch (rightly or wrongly) because many believe he does not have the PR acumen necessary to make a good hire.
      Terry Blue -
      Funny, Mitch and company keeping things very close to the vest but many still condemning him before the hire is even made. Anyone heard of JR Greer Construction Company in London, Ky. Reportedly this is the "big donor" behind some of the Petrilno is hired scuttlebutt. Others say Mitch is vetting him like every other candidate
      blue2ksr -
      What's the chances of waiting to complain about the hire Mitch makes after he actually makes it?
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by blue2ksr View Post
      What's the chances of waiting to complain about the hire Mitch makes after he actually makes it?
      Little. We're people. People like to bitch. Especially about other people.
  • KSR Twitter Feed