Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Harrow update

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Even though he “worked out” in the the practice facility two days this week, sophomore point guard Ryan Harrow did not play for Kentucky in Wednesday’s win over Morehead and is not expected to be in uniform for Friday’s game against Long Island, either.

“He called yesterday and said, ‘Coach I've got an issue I've got to deal with, and my mom is here, and I've got to deal with it,’” said Kentucky coach John Calipari after Wednesday’s win. “If I knew more, I would keep it from you, but I don't know more.”

Calipari did say it “should be this weekend” when asked when Harrow might return.

“It may be Friday but I don't know. We all love the kid, we want him to do well, we're trying to walk him through this. Mom is a little concerned. He's a great kid. We need him, but it's bigger than basketball for me. You want the kid to be right, and you want to make sure in his mind he's right,” Calipari said.

Harrow transferred to UK from North Carolina State last year and practiced with the Cats but could not play during the NCAA championship season. He was expected to take over as UK’s starting point guard, but had flu-like symptoms before the Maryland game. He played just 10 minutes in that season-opening win and has missed Kentucky’s last three games.

Calipari often has said UK is not for every player — and tells players that when he is recruiting them. There has been speculation that Harrow had quit the team or was having trouble dealing with Calipari’s pressure.

“I don't think so. No, I don't think it's that,” Calipari said when asked if UK might not be right for Harrow. “Might be some of it, but I don't believe that. He was getting better. That's the sad thing about it. He had*... I was all over him.”

Calipari said he saw freshman Alex Poythress’ father after Wednesday’s game and told him how much he was on his son to improve.

“I'm on him half the game, and he's playing better and better, but he's only 50 percent of the way there now. His dad said, ‘That's why he came here. He wanted to be challenged, and he wanted to be coached, and he wanted to be pushed, and that's what my son needed.’ They know that coming here. This is an open book; this is not we embellish and*— we don't do it.

“So I think he's fine. My hope is he comes back this weekend, and he's got to start on the road getting with the team and practicing and seeing where we are. His weight is still down, though.’

Calipari said Tuesday that Harrow has lost seven pounds during his illness. Still, Poythress said Wednesday he expects Harrow back soon.

“I feel confident we will get him back. We just want him to geat healthy,” Poythress said. “It is hard seeing him go through this, but we are just waiting for him to be healthy. He will help us a lot eventually. Ryan is such a great player. He will be a huge boost when we get him back.”
    Comments 18 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Seems clear those speculating about anxiety issues are at least on the right track. Just too much Cal is talking around it for it not to be at least partially to completely on the money.
      ukpumacat -
      I wonder if we were guessing the wrong order on this. Some had speculated that the anxiety led to the illness. I wonder if the illness and loss of weight led to the anxiety.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Seems clear those speculating about anxiety issues are at least on the right track. Just too much Cal is talking around it for it not to be at least partially to completely on the money.
      Yeah, the following reads like an anxiety issue to me:

“It may be Friday but I don't know. We all love the kid, we want him to do well, we're trying to walk him through this. Mom is a little concerned. He's a great kid. We need him, but it's bigger than basketball for me. You want the kid to be right, and you want to make sure in his mind he's right,” Calipari said.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      I wonder if we were guessing the wrong order on this. Some had speculated that the anxiety led to the illness. I wonder if the illness and loss of weight led to the anxiety.
      Yep. Sounds like it was just piling on and making everything else tougher. easy to get very beat up.

Definitely sounds like an anxiety thing or a family/exogenous thing weighing him down. Throw in the pressure of playing and a nagging illness that saps you and it's understandable.

Agree 100% Darrell these comments are all but an admission that this goes beyond the physical illness and goes to his emotional/mental state. Could be coming from family/personal, the illness I think is 100% true and added to it, but the uncertainty of the outcome from both Cal and Poythress shows this is a process Ryan has to work through and isn't just a recovery.
      lymand -
      I sure hope everything works out for him. No doubt his health is the primary concern but this team certainly needs a 100% healthy Ryan Harrow.
      Rainman -
      I agree with that lymand. All the Calipari-UK teams have been young. This one plays the youngest. Tons of talent there but a long way to go.
      Philly Cat -
      "This one plays the youngest."

Perfectly stated, Rainman. That sums up pretty much every frustration so far in this "young" season-- rebounding, decision-making, defense, etc.
      jstrunk82 -
      Depression issues. They are saying this weekend could be longer
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by jstrunk82 View Post
      Depression issues. They are saying this weekend could be longer
      Calling the Dept of Pharmacology...
      Edward100 -
      Or, he could be getting over his sickness and have family problems that need attention.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
      All the Calipari-UK teams have been young. This one plays the youngest.
      Very well stated.
      ladycat92 -
      I'll just say this and you can take it for what its worth. Many mental disorders in young men show themselves around age 20. I had the misfortune of dealing with an employee who started showing signs of schizophrenia soon after he started working for me around age 22. Depression and bi-polar disorder follow a similar pattern.
      jazyd -
      What all of us need to do is keep the young man in our prayers, whatever is best for him is what I want and I think what we all want including Cal and his teammates. If he needs time away from the game to get better so be it, his health and well being is much more important than wins at this point.
      UKHistory -
      Jazyd said it quite well. There is always time to say a prayer and send our best wishes to Wildcats--past, present and future.

Now is a time Ryan needs our best and those inclined I would ask you join me in prayer.
      blue2ksr -
      + infinity, jazy and history! So often we look at these kids like they are some sort of athletic machine instead of what they really are, a kid. I pray for the well being of Ryan and his family.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      He could turn out to be Cal's single player greatest coaching achievement......off the court and on the court.

our prayers are with him and family
      Edward100 -
      Until Calipari or Harrow says what is going on, everything is purely speculation. Wouldn’t it be better to wait till the official word comes out? I would hope this doesn't get as bad as “Beauty shop gossip.”
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Edward100 View Post
      Until Calipari or Harrow says what is going on, everything is purely speculation. Wouldn’t it be better to wait till the official word comes out? I would hope this doesn't get as bad as “Beauty shop gossip.”
      Not exactly how I look at this. Whatever is wrong, I hope & pray for him to be okay, and happy, and healthy. Basketball doesn't matter for squat compared to those things for Ryan Harrow & his family. I pray for his good health, happiness, and the peace that comes with it, above all else.
  • KSR Twitter Feed