Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with San Diego coach Ron Caragher about Kentucky football

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Ron Caragher spent four seasons at Kentucky as running backs coach under Rich Brooks from 2003-2006 before becoming the University of San Diego head where he has a 43-22 mark in almost six seasons. He was at UK in 2006 when the Cats finished 8-5 and were 4-4 in Southeastern Conference play.

He spent nine seasons (1994-2002) on UCLA's staff under Terry Donahue and then Bob Toledo — he played there from 1986-89. He coached receivers, punters and kickers during his time there. During the 1997-98 seasons, UCLA won a school-record 20 straight games and averaged over 40 points per game.

His San Diego team finished 9-2 in 2011 and won the Pioneer Football League and he was a nominee for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award. This year his team is 7-3 with one game left and still has a chance to give him his third league title in six years.

With Kentucky looking for a coach and knowing Caragher still has ties to Kentucky — his team practiced at UK once when it came to Kentucky to play Morehead — it seemed like he might be the perfect person with ties to the program who wants to see the Cats succeed to share some perspective on the search for coach Joker Phillips’ successor.

“Coaching at Kentucky was so exciting and was one of my most rewarding experiences in coaching,” said Caragher. “Coming off probation and with scholarships reduced, we were still able to turn it around after some painful, challenging early moments. I remember it like it was yesterday beating Georgia in Commonwealth Stadium and what an electrifying experience it was with the goalposts coming down. Then going to the Music City Bowl and beating a really good Clemson team was so special.

“It was really bittersweet when we left. I was striving to be a head coach and had wanted to do that for years, but Kentucky football was on the rise. Staying would have been fun, but I wanted to drive my own bus.”

He succeeded Jim Harbaugh at San Diego. That’s the same coach who went to Stanford and won and now is winning in the NFL as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

“I remember asking coach Brooks if it was a good move for me, and he said it was because it was so hard to get any Division I coaching job,” Caragher said. “I wear a lot more hats here and am a lot more involved with fundraising. It’s been a great learning experience and we’ve had some good success.”

He sees no limitations for Kentucky football despite this year’s 2-9 record.

“I see lot of advantages,” he said. “Kentucky is in greatest college football conference in America and in the most stable conference and most respected conference.”

Caragher says the new coach must “do a good job” recruiting in the state. “It will be important for the next coach to go out and meet all the high school coaches and build state pride to where they trust the program and want to send players there,” Caragher said.

However, he believes UK can recruit successfully in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia while continuing to find players in Georgia.

“In bordering states there are some young men who like challenges and you throw out the question do you want to go and compete against the best in nation and be challenged playing top teams in the country,” Caragher said. “I think with Kentucky being within driving distance for families so they can see kids plays, that is a big advantage that some other states do not have.”

The former UK assistant said several lower echelon teams have made upward moves in recent years in college football. He sees no reason UK can’t do the same.

“I think that program should compete for a SEC championship on an annual basis. It will be a challenge because of good teams in the SEC. But you want to embrace that and attract young men who want to be challenged daily,” Caragher said.

“I think those facilties are all nice, but that is never a reason not to succeed. They are all nice. Not an excuse. Facilties can become an arms race in the SEC. But look at the things at Kentucky. Great indoor facility. Three practice fields, two grass and one turf as good as you will find in the country. We practiced at the Carolina Panthers facility and Kentucky’s practice facility is just as nice. Commonwealth Stadium is nice. I know some stadiums are bigger, but you’ve got the main things you need to win. It’s about having a culture of excellence for the new coach to embrace,” Caragher said.

So how does UK rebuild?

Caragher says he learned on thing from Donahue he never forgot.

“Winning is not enough. You need to entertain. While winning is big, the bottom line is entertainment. I think it is important to have an entertaining offense. That means an offense that can throw the ball around and make big plays and creat oohs and aahs in the crowd,” Caragher said. “Starting off you can’t line up from day one and go head to head with established programs in the top five in the country. You need to neutralize that and work around it.”

Caragher points to how Harbaugh won at Stanford while competing against teams like Oregon and USC with better talent and more speed.

“He was not going to out-athlete Oregon and USC. But he thought he could line up and play power smash-mouth where he was not exposed on the perimeter. I am not a fan of just running. I think it is vital to have solid quarterback play where he can complete close to 70 percent of his passes. You do not have to launch down the field all the time. You need a power running game. With that running game you create success and then great play-action off it. It is also important to have solid screen and draw plays,” Caragher said.

He believes a team using that formula can recruit a “NFL-style quarterback” because the system is what pro teams use.

“If you live and die with throwing every down, you can die if the quarterback is not have a good day,” Caragher said. “I believe in balance. So do NFL teams. I also think if you run a spread offense your defense gets hurt because it then has trouble stopping a power running game.

“People want to see an exciting offense and attacking, aggressive defense. Put pressure on the opposing quarterback so he is never comfortable in the pocket.”

He recently talked to Donahue, who is now a college football TV analyst, and asked him what stands out most about Alabama, the defending national champion. The former UCLA coach told him it was talent evaluation and talent development. He also said most teams don’t do enough to develop a strong walk-on base and notes how he found John Conner when he was coaching at UK and Conner went from walk-on to NFL draft pick.

“I think when people in Kentucky see a product they love and is exciting, they will fill the stadium. Big Blue Nation has fans that are as passionate as the come. They are just as passionate about football as basketball. There’s just been so much basketball success, but people there are anxious for football to have success. They will come to see a winning product,” Caragher said. “I still say the sky is the limit. The Kentucky program can compete and win.”

Maybe Caragher should apply to be Phillips’ successor. He knows the program. He has an exciting offense. He values defense. He understands how to play against more talented teams. He has a recruiting scope based on his time at UK. He has a lot of coaching ties — former UK linebacker Jon Sumrall was his defensive coordinator before leaving for the same job at Tulane.

He wouldn’t be a hot, sexy hire. He wouldn’t be a home run hire. But he sure would come to UK with a plan and that’s important and no matter who the next coach turns out to be, I just hope he might have some of the same beliefs and ideas Caragher does.
    Comments 16 Comments
      ukpumacat -
      Great interview Larry, thanks.
      dan_bgblue -
      Great job, and I really appreciate the effort
      Joe B. Campbell -
      Larry, Caragher's assistant head coach and defensive coordinator is my cousin, Dale Lindsey, Bowling Green native, Kentucky Hall of Fame, Played one year at UK, and was All American two years at WKU. 25 year coach in NFL. He speaks highly of Caragher.
      dan_bgblue -
      Interesting bit of info. Thanks very much for sharing
      Catonahottinroof -
      Ron had my son in those years at UK Football camp. Excellent guy and he gets it about where we were and what we became in that time.

Joe Bill, Dale's daughter Kim used to work for me back in the 90's.
      bigsky -
      Great stuff!
      Terry Blue -
      That was an outstanding interview and write up Larry and shows why you've won so many awards. Joe, I thought Dale had retired? I met him while I was at Western and he used to work out in the weightroom (boy that was primitive) when I was a student there in the late 60's and he was with the Browns. He makes a good point to me that we should expand our recruiting base to include:Ohio, Penn, Mich, etc. Guys like Butch Jones and Doerren could do that. Ron's name has been thrown around as a possible candidate but probably only speculation.
      Catonahottinroof -
      He retired from the NFL... He never really retired from football.
      Terry Blue -
      Thought I had read that he retired from football
      Joe B. Campbell -
      No, he retired from NFL but last two years was at New Mexico State and this year at San Diego University, a non scholarship program.
      LarryVaught1 -
      And hearing that California could be interested in Caragher as a head coach. Even couple of sources in Tennessee saying his name has been mentioned by AD there
      dan_bgblue -
      Larry V. no mention of him from UK?
      LarryVaught1 -
      have not heard any at this time, but sure do wish UK would at least give him a look
      Catonahottinroof -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      have not heard any at this time, but sure do wish UK would at least give him a look
      I wish we'd give him a look too.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      The net is not wide enough. Thanks for responding with the info
      LarryVaught1 -
      one never knows what could happen if a couple of guys turn UK down
  • KSR Twitter Feed