Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky versus Missouri Baseball Friday

For the baseball fans, join me in watching or following Kentucky tonight rather than watching basketball. Weekend's schedule is below.

Our Friday night's normal starter, Travis Smith, has struggled all season. Kentucky has elected not to name a starting pitcher for tonight's game. Nick seems to go a little longer with pitchers than I would, and I wanted to see him make that change prior to now, but I acknowledge sometimes it pays off being a little more patient. Maybe having somebody else start and allow him to come out of the bullpen, or just mentally rest, can help bring him back to where he was last season.

Missouri is probably the worst team in the Southeastern Conference for baseball (as well as basketball, but we don't need to go there), and with Kentucky's home sweep over a good Georgia team last weekend, we have a golden opportunity to get off to a great start in SEC play.

Kentucky
    Game 1: TBA
    Game 2: Gr. LHP Dom Niman (4-1, 3.51 ERA)
    Game 3: Jr. RHP Mason Moore (4-0, 2.28 ERA)

Missouri
    Game 1: So. RHP Logan Lunceford (So., 1-1, 9.68 ERA)
    Game 2: Jr. LHP Javyn Pimental (Jr., 0-0, 2.04 ERA)
    Game 3: TBA

Friday, March 22
    *#21 Kentucky at Missouri - 7 p.m. [SECN+]

Saturday, March 23
    *#21 Kentucky at Missouri - 4 p.m. [SECN+]

Sunday, March 24
    *#21 Kentucky at Missouri - 12 p.m. [SECN]
    Comments 60 Comments
      Doc -
      I switched it on. Nothing else.worth watching

3-1 cats. MO coming to bat in bottom of 6
      Darrell KSR -
      Daly walks, but that's the only baserunner we have in the inning.

Pooser at 81 pitches to begin the bottom half of the sixth inning.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 1 | M6
      Darrell KSR -
      Another excellent inning for Pooser, with two strikeouts and a fly out. That's 16 of the last 17 Missouri batters attired.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 1 | E6
      Doc -
      3 up, 3 down
      Darrell KSR -
      Missouri pitcher at 95 pitches to begin the top of the 7th inning (if he pitches it).
      Pooser at 94 pitches to begin the bottom of the 7th inning (if he pitches it).

Both pitchers have been excellent in recent innings.
      Doc -
      Why challenge that?
      Doc -
      1 out, runner on 2nd for UK
      Doc -
      Stole 3rd
      Doc -
      Dribble to pitcher. Guy on third out. Runner on 1st
      Darrell KSR -
      McCarthy raps a single to right to lead off the inning. McCoy dribbles to 1st, sorta bobbled and had only one play to 1st base. Nick Mingione challenges, but clear replay he was out at first. McCarthy at 2nd.

UK loses a challenge.

Grant Smith up, needs a single to score McCarthy and add a run. McCarthy with a delayed steal of 3rd base, now won't need a base hit for the run. Saw the pitch outside in the dirt, catcher discombobulated, and took off.

Crap on a cracker, McCarthy off on contact, and ball one-hopped to the pitcher and catches him off 3rd base. That could be big.

Two outs, runner on 1st. Waldschmidt flies out. Opportunity lost there, folks. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 1 | M7

Taking a quick break; think we're making a pitching change with Jackson Nove.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Why challenge that?
      Good question. I thought maybe the first baseman missed the bag, but he clearly touched it, and even more clearly, beat the runner easily. One of the clearest replays I think you'll ever see on a challenge.
      Darrell KSR -
      Nove starts the inning, gets two outs, blip single, another blip single, a walk and turns bases loaded, 2 outs over to Johnny Hummel.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 1 | B7, 2 outs
      Darrell KSR -
      First ball bounces there. Not a good sign. Ball two. Bases are loaded, no place to put him.

Bounces the next one 3 feet in front of the plate, goes by Burkes, everybody moves up, 3-2 on the wild pitch.

Another curve ball in the dirt, ball bounces away from Burkes, everybody moves up, and it's 3-3 on the wild pitch. Less than optimal.

Walks the batter. This isn't Johnny Hummel typical pitching. Unfortunate. Strikes out the batter to end the inning.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 3 | E7

Missouri pitcher at 107 pitches--will he start the 8th inning?
      Doc -
      Mo.pits.2.on the board, off 2 wild pitches

3-3 top of 7
      Darrell KSR -
      He will not. Already announced that a new pitcher will take over.
      Darrell KSR -
      3 up, 3 down. Mojo to Mizzou.

4-5-6 batters up for the Tigers.

Kentucky 3, Mizzou 3 | M8
      Darrell KSR -
      Final lines on Pooser and Nove:

Pooser: 6.0 innings, 3 hits, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts, 1 earned run.
      Nove: 0.2 innings, 2 hits, 1 strikeout, 2 earned runs.
      Darrell KSR -
      Two strikeouts and a bunt back to the pitcher for out # 3, with a nice play by Hummel. Good inning.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 3 | E8

Cats with 5-6-7 in the 9th inning. Need a run, folks. Daly, Nicholson, McCarthy, and if anyone reaches, McCoy.
      Darrell KSR -
      7-pitch inning for Missouri retires three Kentucky batters. Now, that's disappointing. For Kentucky to win, we will have to do it in extra innings.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 3 | M9
      Darrell KSR -
      Ground out, fly out, then a strike out--but not so fast, as ball hits the dirt, gets away from catcher for a wild pitch as the runner reaches first base.

That's 3 wild pitches, 2 of them I think were swinging strikes.

Strike out for out # 3.

We go to the 10th.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 3 | E9
  • KSR Twitter Feed