Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky versus Texas A&M Report Card

By: RONALD "DOC" BALL

B]General Impressions[/B] Very disappointed but to be honest, this game really has minimal effect. Other threads addressed the winning the SECT then going to the NCAAT results in extended winning streaks so to be honest, I am fine with "a loss", however I am not fine with a loss like that. I sure am glad I opted to not do the 24 hr drive (12 each way) and drop 600 - 800 on tickets. I'll leave that to you suckas because I have learned my lesson. That being Cal could not give a rats ass about the SECT, and his teams play like it. It why you win 2 games in 6 years!. So all you who got played, all you who shelled out money, time and effort, hope you enjoyed it. Also, I never blame the officiating for losses, and won't here but I will say this was one of the WORSE games called as far and an equal application of the rules. As for my game impression, I don't think I have ever seen a mentally weaker team. Short of Dillingham and Sheppard, I don't think any really cared if they won or lost. Just didn't seem to matter. There was no effort on rebounding or defense, no desire to be physical or any sense of pride. Some players just hate to lose, they find it offensive. Rob is a prime example of that. Reed is to a lesser extent. Not sure I can say that about any other players. They ALL played like "I'm out of here in 3 months so what difference does it make"

Tre Mitchell C- I'm not swallowing the injury crap. Took him 21 minutes to foul out. In that time he thrilled us with 7 points and 9 rebounds.He was the only player with a positive +/-, which was a whopping 3.

Justin Edwards D He had as many pts and rebounds as he had fouls. 2 pts + 2 rebounds = 4 fouls. He did add 2 assists. He shot 1-6 with his normal number of missed layups and bunnies. UK neither gained or lost points during his stellar 15 minutes.

DJ Wagner C- He had 8 points on 3-9 shooting, including 1-4 from long range, but a very solid 5 assists to 1 turnover, plus 4 rebounds in 29 minutes. That said, what did he contribute?

Aaron Bradshaw D- Well in the running for Biggest Flop under Cal. 2 minutes of action, 1 foul and 1 block, zero on everything else (rebounds, points, assists, etc).

Antonio Reeves C+ Took him 18 minutes to foul out, Was a negative 9 on the plus minus line. 13 points, a rebound, an assist, a turnover. I put this game as a product of poor calls taking him out. However a mentally tough guy does not let that happen OR he gets his money's worth on the fouls. Like everybody else, he played soft

Zvonimir Ivisic D+ His interior defense is one of the worse, and that is saying a lot on a team this bad on the defensive end. Was a perfect 3-3 from the field for 7 points. I question how to you take only 3 shots in 16 minutes of action???? He did get 3 blocks and 2 rebounds. That is 1 rebound every 8 minutes for a 7-2 guy. Ponder that.

Robert Dillingham A- Only negative I got for him is 5 turnovers. That said, 27 points on 9-19 shooting, hit half of his 10 treys, grabbed 4 rebounds and had 7 assists, plus he played with the fire I expect. He played 29 minutes and was -3. His play was one of the few highlights

Reed Sheppard B+ 14 points on 5-8 shooting and 3-6 long range. 4 assists to 2 bad turnovers. Needed to be a bit more selfish. His defense was no worse than normal, its unlikely to improve in the next 3 weeks so accept the opponent getting open look after open look after open look,

Ugonna Onyenso D The only physical force inside but still not strong with it. Frequently loses the ball in traffic as opponents strip him of the ball. 19 minutes.... TWO shots. You would think a 7 footer could at least get 3 offensive rebound put back shots?!? Of course he only got 2 rebounds, so his boardwork was worse than "Big Z's"

Adou Thiero C- Got a slight bump for effort but lost it, just like he lost his man on defense. His -14 +/- led the team, not in a good way. He did get 5 boards but only 7 points on 1-3 from the field and 5-6 from the line. I was hoping to an enforcer roll from him, but am disappointed to say that ain't happening.

Jordan Burks

Joey Hart

Coaching F 5 months in and we can't defense anything. Its not just not being able to defend, its looking BAD when we are not doing it. His best coaching move tonight was throwing his hands in the air screaming "WHY?". Clearly he has no interest in the SECT and his team shows it. Much much more important that we do well in those Nov and Dec neutral court games to prep for the NCAAT

Officials F Call it the same at both ends. It is really that simple. Don't give us a charge call when they flop then call us for a block when they run over us. Call the push off on both end, etc.....

Commentators I/C Fortunately had no sound

Other We got our asses handed to us is so many ways. Turnovers 14-6. Pts off Turnovers 18-4. 2nd chance pts 26-9. Steals 9-4. But our defense was just so pitiful that it was discouraging.
    Comments 29 Comments
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      We’ve got to stop spotting teams a lead before we get interested. A&M led by 7 two and a half minutes into the game and led by 8 with two and a half minutes left to play.
      This is a huge problem. This team does not play well from behind. Despite a last second game winner of late.

I know I was one to hold that the rotation should stay the same, but not so sure now. Unlike others, I believe instead of change at the guards, I’d start Z, Edwards, Thiero, Reeves, and DJ. Then I would demand they rebound the ball.
      DJ in particular seems hesitant at every decision he makes of late. But I still think starting another in his place damages team chemistry at this point.

We do not have the effective Tre Mitchell back and likely wont. He does not deserve the start given his play on both ends since returning. And Onyenso just has no hands, except when he is blocking a shot right handed.
      Z is much more effective overall, except for the handful of games where UO has been fired up to defend.

Z is the one who can alter shots just by being there with his hands up.

Our best line up is Big Z, Dillingham, Reed, Reeves, and one of Edwards/Thiero.

For the last few games DJ slows the ball movement down with his indecision. That must be addressed as quickness is our strength.
      We must play at Rob’s speed where Reed and Reeves excel.
      Wagner did too before his injury, and before he became the fourth best guard in our back court. Only he can change that perspective though.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      I go back to the Rupp era

He had a guiding principle..never change the starting lineup if you are winning

In Cal's case, IMHO, he is taking care of DJ and Edwards in addition to preserving team chemistry....

Team chemistry is now less of a concern..if we post an L, it is all over...everyone will go their separate ways any way

My vote is to start the 5 you end with when we are down 5 when under 5:00 at the end

Why handicap ourself from the outset

Talking against myself, had a bad feeling last night, when Antonio went 1 for 2 on beginning of game FTs
      CitizenBBN -
      There are times you set your rotation to as to put more on guys who can take more, and sometimes coming off the bench is OK with a better player but would mess up another guy, so you bring him off the bench.

I see that here, and OK, that's fine, every coach has done it. Dilly and Reed are OK with it, and maybe starting or more to the point cointinuing to start versus looking like you are demoted is best for Wagner/Edwards. I get it.

The problem is we have had more than one game where that starting 5 starts soft, and we are in a very very quick hole against good teams.

Had we played them even the first 4 minutes, this is a very different last few minutes last night. We probably lose anyway b/c we just didn't want it as much, but you never know. That 7-8 point lead stuck all night. Without it we have about 30 lead changes instead.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I'd love to see Reed, Rob and Reeves start, but I don't know how long Rob would be in the game before he fouled out. He is so bad to pick up little silly fouls. I agree with Doc that Z needs to start along with Edwards and Thiero. Edwards would be on a short leash though if he started sleepwalking like he did yesterday!
      Jeeepcat -
      I sure would have given Burks a shot on D last night.
      Jeeepcat -
      My objections to starting Reed and Rob are that:
      A) No offensive spark waiting on the bench
      B) The added pressure may undo what makes them so impactful
      C) We haven't done well with Reed starting
      D) Team chemistry

I don't buy that Cal is starting DJ and Edwards ss part of keeping some recruiting promise. I think we're just a lot deeper and more balanced with them coming off the bench.

At the end of the day, we need more defense to start the game - and I'm not sure who that is.
      Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeeepcat View Post
      My objections to starting Reed and Rob are that:
      A) No offensive spark waiting on the bench
      B) The added pressure may undo what makes them so impactful
      C) We haven't done well with Reed starting
      D) Team chemistry

I don't buy that Cal is starting DJ and Edwards ss part of keeping some recruiting promise. I think we're just a lot deeper and more balanced with them coming off the bench.

At the end of the day, we need more defense to start the game - and I'm not sure who that is.
      Strike C), not really fair since invariably DJ was out.
      kingcat -
      One other point, it’s been a long, long season.

Most of them have been playing for UK since early Summer while pointing towards this ending. That’s going to be nearly a nine months wait.

And, because of that I will wait and see how they finish what they started. Dang the sec tourney.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      One other point, it’s been a long, long season.

Most of them have been playing for UK since early Summer while pointing towards this ending.

Still, because if that I will wait and see how they finish what they started. Dang the sec tourney.
      That's another good point. Or at least an argument that maybe not playing extra games in the SEC tournament might refresh them a bit.
  • KSR Twitter Feed