Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky versus Texas A&M Report Card

By: RONALD "DOC" BALL

B]General Impressions[/B] Very disappointed but to be honest, this game really has minimal effect. Other threads addressed the winning the SECT then going to the NCAAT results in extended winning streaks so to be honest, I am fine with "a loss", however I am not fine with a loss like that. I sure am glad I opted to not do the 24 hr drive (12 each way) and drop 600 - 800 on tickets. I'll leave that to you suckas because I have learned my lesson. That being Cal could not give a rats ass about the SECT, and his teams play like it. It why you win 2 games in 6 years!. So all you who got played, all you who shelled out money, time and effort, hope you enjoyed it. Also, I never blame the officiating for losses, and won't here but I will say this was one of the WORSE games called as far and an equal application of the rules. As for my game impression, I don't think I have ever seen a mentally weaker team. Short of Dillingham and Sheppard, I don't think any really cared if they won or lost. Just didn't seem to matter. There was no effort on rebounding or defense, no desire to be physical or any sense of pride. Some players just hate to lose, they find it offensive. Rob is a prime example of that. Reed is to a lesser extent. Not sure I can say that about any other players. They ALL played like "I'm out of here in 3 months so what difference does it make"

Tre Mitchell C- I'm not swallowing the injury crap. Took him 21 minutes to foul out. In that time he thrilled us with 7 points and 9 rebounds.He was the only player with a positive +/-, which was a whopping 3.

Justin Edwards D He had as many pts and rebounds as he had fouls. 2 pts + 2 rebounds = 4 fouls. He did add 2 assists. He shot 1-6 with his normal number of missed layups and bunnies. UK neither gained or lost points during his stellar 15 minutes.

DJ Wagner C- He had 8 points on 3-9 shooting, including 1-4 from long range, but a very solid 5 assists to 1 turnover, plus 4 rebounds in 29 minutes. That said, what did he contribute?

Aaron Bradshaw D- Well in the running for Biggest Flop under Cal. 2 minutes of action, 1 foul and 1 block, zero on everything else (rebounds, points, assists, etc).

Antonio Reeves C+ Took him 18 minutes to foul out, Was a negative 9 on the plus minus line. 13 points, a rebound, an assist, a turnover. I put this game as a product of poor calls taking him out. However a mentally tough guy does not let that happen OR he gets his money's worth on the fouls. Like everybody else, he played soft

Zvonimir Ivisic D+ His interior defense is one of the worse, and that is saying a lot on a team this bad on the defensive end. Was a perfect 3-3 from the field for 7 points. I question how to you take only 3 shots in 16 minutes of action???? He did get 3 blocks and 2 rebounds. That is 1 rebound every 8 minutes for a 7-2 guy. Ponder that.

Robert Dillingham A- Only negative I got for him is 5 turnovers. That said, 27 points on 9-19 shooting, hit half of his 10 treys, grabbed 4 rebounds and had 7 assists, plus he played with the fire I expect. He played 29 minutes and was -3. His play was one of the few highlights

Reed Sheppard B+ 14 points on 5-8 shooting and 3-6 long range. 4 assists to 2 bad turnovers. Needed to be a bit more selfish. His defense was no worse than normal, its unlikely to improve in the next 3 weeks so accept the opponent getting open look after open look after open look,

Ugonna Onyenso D The only physical force inside but still not strong with it. Frequently loses the ball in traffic as opponents strip him of the ball. 19 minutes.... TWO shots. You would think a 7 footer could at least get 3 offensive rebound put back shots?!? Of course he only got 2 rebounds, so his boardwork was worse than "Big Z's"

Adou Thiero C- Got a slight bump for effort but lost it, just like he lost his man on defense. His -14 +/- led the team, not in a good way. He did get 5 boards but only 7 points on 1-3 from the field and 5-6 from the line. I was hoping to an enforcer roll from him, but am disappointed to say that ain't happening.

Jordan Burks

Joey Hart

Coaching F 5 months in and we can't defense anything. Its not just not being able to defend, its looking BAD when we are not doing it. His best coaching move tonight was throwing his hands in the air screaming "WHY?". Clearly he has no interest in the SECT and his team shows it. Much much more important that we do well in those Nov and Dec neutral court games to prep for the NCAAT

Officials F Call it the same at both ends. It is really that simple. Don't give us a charge call when they flop then call us for a block when they run over us. Call the push off on both end, etc.....

Commentators I/C Fortunately had no sound

Other We got our asses handed to us is so many ways. Turnovers 14-6. Pts off Turnovers 18-4. 2nd chance pts 26-9. Steals 9-4. But our defense was just so pitiful that it was discouraging.
    Comments 29 Comments
      KSRBEvans -
      UK scored 1.24 PPP. 1.24 PPP should be enough to win.

I said a day or two ago I'm willing to live with the bad D and just enjoy the offensive heater they're on. Tonight wasn't very enjoyable.
      tpenrod23 -
      This team has a senior AA in Reeves, a senior that some considered our mvp halfway thru the season in Tre, two projected top ten picks in Reed and Rob, two guys that were projected too 10 prior to start of season in Edwards and DJ with AB also projected to be a very high draft pick. It’s unfathomable to me that Cal is going to lose 10 games with this level of talent. And he brags about generational wealth and nba all-stars which is actually moronic as it’s a total indictment of his coaching abilities in light of his record over last decade. Total BS artist…
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      It's just such a slap in the face of the fans to care so little for the tournament. To make it so clear and to show so little effort in motivating the players. People have often said that Cal really gets being the UK coach. I've never believed that. Cal gets the glitz, the glamour, the pomp and circumstance. But he's forgotten where he came from IMO. His indifference to people who save for years to go to the SEC tournament is just wrong.

No sane person can expect to win all the time. We can expect our team and coach to try to though.
      Blueridge -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      It's just such a slap in the face of the fans to care so little for the tournament. To make it so clear and to show so little effort in motivating the players. People have often said that Cal really gets being the UK coach. I've never believed that. Cal gets the glitz, the glamour, the pomp and circumstance. But he's forgotten where he came from IMO. His indifference to people who save for years to go to the SEC tournament is just wrong.

No sane person can expect to win all the time. We can expect our team and coach to try to though.
      Kentucky has lost three straight SEC Tournament games for the first time ever, dating back to 1933.(tweeted earlier by the catspause)
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      It's just such a slap in the face of the fans to care so little for the tournament.
      My Aunt and Uncle used to spend their hard-earned money every year for their one vacation to attend the SEC Tournament. All of it. In gosh-awful Birmingham, Alabama (hey, I love it here, but it's not Nashville). You come for the basketball.

And they were two of thousands of UK fans who have done the same thing year after year. I've gotten out of the habit of going (partially due to family commitments, but in large part due to this as well), but I've had the pleasure of seeing many KSR/WildcatChat fans there. BigBlue92. Doc. Bigsky. Others I'm forgetting, and others who have never posted, but read here and feel a part of the community.

I'd like to rejoin that. Sure, there are no guarantees. Kentucky can't win every SEC tournament. But more often than not, we should be able to win a game, maybe two, if not the tournament. Our home crowd advantage is nuts, at least in Nashville, particularly because people like BigBlue92 and his better half, and his 110 pound linebacker buddy (I'm still questioning that story), Bigsky and his boys, Doc and his MUCH better half, my Aunt and Uncle, and others come year after year to watch games, to enjoy dinner, drinks, and camaraderie with fellow Wildcat fans as we progress from one day to the next.

It may not have the tradition of Memorial Coliseum and Adolph Rupp's brown suit, but it is engrained in Kentucky fans.

And we're being cheated out of it.
      bigsky -
      You met my Dad, his wife, one of my sons, my now ex wife, you saw and see and know what it means.

It’s not just the SECT. We don’t trust Cal to win a game anywhere or anytime.

I remember going to that SECT in Tampa in the last days of Billy Clyde. We did better that year than these last two years.

But this does feel like that. I’m glad Cal makes a difference in his players lives and he attracts these wonderful players I like so much. But he looked and sounded like a con man tonight.

We were glad, after tonight’s game, that we didn’t go, Wynn and Ryan and I told each other…

But we were not really glad we didnt go.
      Darrell KSR -
      Yes sir, my apologies on leaving out more of the Bigsky family. And apologies in advance for others I have not listed. And who the heck knows who I met in Printers Alley and other places in other venues, but they're all good people.

And everything you said in the rest of your post, times two.
      Doc -
      I am like a lot of you all. We love going on basketball trips, or at least I do. My wife joins me for the company. Like Darrell, I have met more people from this board than I can name, which is much of the enjoyment. We were pretty much a guaranteed go to the SECT, be it Nashville or Atlanta or Tampa. But of late it has changed. Now it maybe 1 in 3 because it's tough to swallow when the coach is less enthused than me. I am a you play hard 100% of the time, and you try to win 100% of the time person. If you heart isn't in it, don't play. To me it sets a poor precedent when you as a coach don't give 100%, and find it hypocritical when he chastised players for not giving their all
      Catfan73 -
      Cal F- and you nailed it when you said this team is mentally weak. When just a couple of guys even care if they win or not they’re not going to be able to drag everyone else along.

I’ve lowered my expectations to sweet 16, hoping for elite 8. I think final four is dreaming.
      Harlow -
      73, that’s exactly the way I feel maybe only one win grrrrr
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      Cal F- and you nailed it when you said this team is mentally weak. When just a couple of guys even care if they win or not they’re not going to be able to drag everyone else along.

I’ve lowered my expectations to sweet 16, hoping for elite 8. I think final four is dreaming.
      Harlow -
      Bama n Ky same team will score 90 but give up a 100... we are more talented
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Okay, I lied. Here's one more comment.

What I would give for a Jamal Magloire on this year's team… If somebody wants to come driving down the lane, and they get fouled, you'll know it. I'm so tired of the nitpicky little fouls.
      I'll die on the Lance Ware hill. Every team needs an enforcer. It isn't about stats. It is about personality and attitude. Not to be confused with Hunter Dickenson's attitude.

IMO, to make a run we need DJ to be the stone cold killer we all hoped for.

Cousins, Jorts, MKG, Ulis...Those guys were on good teams and all of them were ready for battle.
      kingcat -
      I hate it for the fans who go to these things and did not mean to downplay the disappointment in my previous posts on the matter. Cal’s feelings on the sect are publicly stated, and I totally believe him. I believe the players believe him too.
      That alone is poor coaching and management, I’d certainly agree.
      But I do believe yesterday evening strengthens our chances going forward into the real post season.

Really, everything from the pregame chatter to the tv crew calling the game pointed to a storyline that said aTm had to win this game. Hundreds of times and it was the whole story of the tourney combined with States manhandling of a much superior UT team. If you didn’t listen, it may have been overlooked.
      But it sure appeared to me scripted, especially when considering the fact that they were actually predicted to have secured their bid prior to the game. Adding Lunardi to the tv broadcast during the game and the all around discussion of it and I believe it was intended to sell a screw job that the Cats were going to get at times to aid their cause.

This is no longer college basketball as we’ve known it. It is professional basketball. Except it is luxuriously combined with lessened expectations of professional management.

Our chances and UT’s were virtually nil yesterday. It doesn’t take players long to figure that out and either respond or fold.
      It’s not often an NCAA tourney game is so unfairly presented.

Whether perception, reality, or both, such is a huge part of college basketball.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
      I'll die on the Lance Ware hill. Every team needs an enforcer. It isn't about stats. It is about personality and attitude. Not to be confused with Hunter Dickenson's attitude.

IMO, to make a run we need DJ to be the stone cold killer we all hoped for.

Cousins, Jorts, MKG, Ulis...Those guys were on good teams and all of them were ready for battle.
      Thiero is the only player on this team who will welcome contact, who wants to go mix it up.

It's a constant problem with Cals' teams b/c he will recruit the top talent, but top talent generally is protected prior to college, and they don't like diving on the floor or getting beaten up.

Those guys are fine, but you need some guys who would be just fine if a rugby scrum broke out. We're few and far between on those guys.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      and find it hypocritical when he chastised players for not giving their all
      He announces to the entire world that this tournament doesn't matter, then is surprised when his team plays like it.

Then has the hubris to, in another early loss, lament the fans and chastise the players.

That's some hubris right there.
      CatQuick -
      You were too generous on Cal’s grade. Kentucky will likely have the worst defense of any tournament team and our seed is completely irrelevant.

RIP Kentucky Invitational
      Harlow -
      Bama plays no d
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
      Bama plays no d
      Will they win 6 games
      Catfan73 -
      We’ve got to stop spotting teams a lead before we get interested. A&M led by 7 two and a half minutes into the game and led by 8 with two and a half minutes left to play.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      We’ve got to stop spotting teams a lead before we get interested. A&M led by 7 two and a half minutes into the game and led by 8 with two and a half minutes left to play.
      We bring our starting guards off the bench. It's too late to change that now, but that's the situation.

When have two bench players been both top 10 in the draft rankings? For the same team?
  • KSR Twitter Feed