Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Woods apologizes for comments

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Morehead State coach Sean Woods was not originally scheduled to be available to media members when his team practiced in Rupp Arena Tuesday night. However, after making some controversial comments about Kentucky players during a teleconference Monday, the former Wildcat met with the media to apologize if his comment offended UK players and/or fans going into tonight’s game.

“What I meant was just in today’s society, kids are different. I didn’t want and would never try to degrade Kentucky basketball players or this program. I’m just saying society in general – and heck, I’m dealing with it. Phil Simms (former NFL QB) was at our game a week and a half ago at the Barclays Center. And here’s a Super Bowl MVP and my guys have no idea who he is or played at Morehead State University,” said Woods. “To set the record straight I love my university. Everybody knows that. John Calipari has been great to me and I would never do anything to hurt him in his situation. He’s doing a heckuva job and I love him dearly.”

Calipari didn’t seem particularly upset by Woods’ comment that he picked up a “bad vibe” from UK players at a recent telethon for Hurricane Sandy victims.

“They were hugging volunteers so I don’t know where he got that. There may have been somebody that didn’t know them or something, I don’t know. I love what our kids are about, what they’ve done academically, what they do in the community. Being here is a big deal and it’s hard to deal with all the stuff that goes around but these guys seem to do it pretty well,” Calipari said.

“Knowing Sean, I figured he misspoke. I chalk it up to that and I move on. I’m not taking it personal. Our kids, you may have talked to them, I bet half of them didn’t know he said anything. This program, do you know how much is said about this program and me personally? I don’t listen to it and then the other stuff is that I walk on water. Guess what? I don’t.

“I’m a regular guy, a sinner like everybody else and I try to do my job. I don’t buy into all that stuff. Say what you want 50 years from now people will evaluate the jobs we’ve done, where we’ve been and that’s all I can count on.”

Woods appreciated Calipari’s understanding and admitted he was wrong.

“I didn’t mean how it came out. I’m sorry how it came out. But I was just talking in general about this day and age more so than anything else. And the situation about the deal at WKYT (the Sandy telethon), that was just something I shouldn’t even have said,” Woods said.

He’s hoping UK fans will forgive him and remember he was a starting point guard on The Unforgettables 20 years ago and that he loves Kentucky.

“I still love this place. I’m still the same Sean Woods. I didn’t mean to p??! off anybody when I said what I said the other day. If I could take it back, I would. It’s just what I was feeling at the time. This is my favorite place and I’m fortunate to be a head coach at Morehead State. I admire John Calipari to the fullest. I think he’s one of the best and brightest minds in college basketball,” Woods said.
    Comments 9 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Foot meet mouth
      Rock Hard Ten -
      He should apologize. He became Jerry Tipton for a day.
      blue2ksr -
      I say that all is well and good. He apologized. What more can he do? He's a Wildcat, and deserves a little more slack than the average Joe. He's earned that, at least, imho.

Who hasn't said things they wish they could take back?

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
      CitizenBBN -
      Glad he apologized and manned up and as a uk player i accept it where i may not have otherwise. It was due though as we got ripped on espn from it as well as tipton. He should have known how it was going to be used against us.

Very dumb and unlike larry i read cals comments as less than appreciative or understanding esp re the fundraiser.

Never publicly question the program. No one is bigger than the program. Just ask pitino.
      anderwt -
      He read the LHL I hope..saw that he threw his university underneath a bus and gave Jerry Tipton a wet dream with his comments
      catmanjack -
      To me you say it you mean it. Will never forget it.
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by blue2ksr View Post
      I say that all is well and good. He apologized. What more can he do? He's a Wildcat, and deserves a little more slack than the average Joe. He's earned that, at least, imho.

Who hasn't said things they wish they could take back?

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
      +1
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      To me you say it you mean it. Will never forget it.
      Right, catmanjack, my thing however is that I don't think what he said was all that bad. It's essentially true whether we like it or not.
      catmanjack -
      Jim, it might be true but Woods is a UK guy you don't bite the hand that is pretty much feeding him these days.
      You show class and respect something that before, during and after Woods has very little.
  • KSR Twitter Feed