Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• What's happened to student section attendance at Rupp Arena?

By ASHLEY SCOBY

With the results Kentucky has seen on the gridiron this season, it comes as no surprise to most when they see the UK student section less than full at Commonwealth Stadium. But at Rupp Arena? The absence of students is more noticeable and much more of a mystery.

If you have been at Rupp so far for the exhibition games or the opener against Lafayette, you probably have noticed a less-than-capacity ERUPPtion Zone (the standing-room-only area behind the basket closest to UK’s bench). Last year in the E-Zone, security would come by and make everyone squeeze together so that two rows of people would fit on each riser (they did this even for the games against lowly opponents last year). I’ve been to two games at Rupp so far this year (Northwood and Lafayette), and they have not made us move forward yet. Each row of students gets its own spacious riser instead of sharing it with others.

Attendance in the upper-deck student seating has also run fairly low so far this season.

So why is student attendance dwindling for a national championship-winning basketball team, especially when excitement for football is at an all-time low? (Granted, most of the 2012 champs are gone, but the program, coach, etc remain).

The answer is two-fold. Students have, above all else, become spoiled. Here are some exact quotes I picked up from the E-Zone during the Lafayette game:

“I miss last year’s team; this year’s team is disappointing.”

“Nerlens sucks compared to Anthony Davis.”

“Where was this team against Duke? Last year’s guys would have clobbered them.”

While these are just three students and in no way representative of the whole student body, that mentality seems to be the general consensus around campus and in the student sections at Rupp. Those who go to UK (especially those who did not suffer through Billy Gillispie’s years at UK) have become accustomed to nothing but success, and will accept nothing less. They were spoiled with last year’s team and expect all of Calipari’s teams to be at that level. Although the caliber of recruiting classes Coach Cal brings to UK won’t change significantly (#1 is still #1), last year’s team was unique.

With a national championship comes that “spoiled” attitude, but that kind of success also brings about an increase in bandwagon fans. Students who don’t go to other sporting events and who have never been interested in basketball are suddenly UK fanatics after a national championship. Those students will show up against teams like Louisville, Duke, North Carolina, etc (if those teams were in Rupp this year, that is). But for the Lafayette or Morehead State games? Those students are not interested in anything other than the big-time games with ESPN or CBS cameras rolling.

So how does UK solve this? The attitude many UK fans have after a national championship is hard to change. There is not much UK can do to dispel the notion Big Blue Nation has that every UK team has to go undefeated with a national championship.

As for only the “national championship” fans, rather than “University of Kentucky” fans showing up at Rupp, a change in the student ticket distribution system would do UK a lot of good.

Currently, UK students have to enter into a double lottery system. They create groups of no more than four people and enter into the first lottery – one based completely on chance. Only groups that are chosen in this (online) lottery are allowed to attend the actual lottery event at Memorial Coliseum. Once at Memorial, groups receive a number. Numbers are drawn randomly, and then groups go in the order they are called to purchase their tickets (lower section, E-Zone or upper deck).

With no rewards system in place to give priority to those who actually attend basketball games (and other sporting events), anyone is eligible for student section tickets. That means the people who go to every single volleyball, football and women’s basketball game have the same chance of getting men’s tickets as the people who plan on scalping their tickets for ten times face value.

I first noticed this problem last year when the North Carolina game at Rupp rolled around. I was not chosen in the lottery, so I had to search for someone selling a ticket if I were to have any chance of going. Those student tickets that were purchased from UK Athletics for $5 were being offered to me for over $300 – sixty times face value!

With this kind of lottery system, a lot of students who have no intention of going to the games are able to buy up a good portion of the available tickets. They will sell the ones to the big games (for example, Baylor this year) and then just ignore the tickets to the other games.

While no UK men’s basketball ticket lottery is going to please everyone, I must admit that the whole experience has been frustrating for me as a second-year UK student. And even more than that, I think the current lottery system is hurting the student section numbers, especially for early games. Students are buying tickets to games they have no intention of going to unless ESPN is filming it during primetime. Many true student fans are left to watch on television because they either were not chosen in the lottery or they can’t afford to pay the price students ask for for their tickets.

Not to mention UK students are just ready for the NCAA Tournament already. After an unforgettable experience in April, the students just want to skip the regular season and go straight to the confetti and trophies, leaving non-marquee game attendance figures to suffer.
    Comments 13 Comments
      KSRBEvans -
      I hope the Citizen doesn't read this. This topic is on his list of top 5 pet peeves.

I like the idea of giving preference to those who attended the last game. Beyond that, it probably becomes too unwieldy to enforce.

The main issue is they're spoiled, and that change has to come from within. IMHO the solution is not giving them even more preferential seating, as has been suggested by some over the years.
      akaukswoosh -
      "Nerlens sucks compared to Anthony Davis.”
      Good gosh. Davis is a twice in a century type player. Methinks the kids are going to be disappointed for a while. LoL
      MickintheHam -
      Ashley, I don't disagree with your comments, but I believe you will also find some thin places is the season ticket holder sections as well. While these are not quite as noticeable as vacancies in the student section, they are there none the less. I believe you can point to two things. The decline in attendance at some games started with BCG and continues some under Cal. You can blame the schedule quality and the distance from campus for many of the vacant seats in the student section.

Our AD needs to work on the game day experience at all athletics events, including basketball. The atmosphere at UK games for any sport can be incredibly bad. We could make transportation and parking a whole lot easier for students at Rupp. Some students may not want to walk, particularly from south campus and they may not wish to pay the outrageous parking fees if they drive. Do you want to stand around and wait for a bus in the cold? Can you make bus transportation much easier? Our athletics department and Rupp Arena do little to encourage student attendance. For what you pay to park, you can stop at Tin Roof, watch the game, listen to music and drink beer all night long. Have we considered selling reasonably priced beer at Rupp? Have we asked to conference to rethink the beer thing? I believe our athletics department sucks big time and does little to market the game to students. Just my two cents.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      "Nerlens sucks compared to Anthony Davis.”
      Good gosh. Davis is a twice in a century type player. Methinks the kids are going to be disappointed for a while. LoL
      Sounds like Ashley found the most ill informed student in the crowd and used his or her stupidest quote. The comment is idiotic on so many levels that its barely even worth commenting on.
      Ashley Scoby -
      MickintheHam - Agreed, I just have more experience with the student section so that's what I wrote about. Since I've never had season tickets, I can't really understand their absence as much.
      Doc: They absolutely were idiotic comments, and by 3 SEPARATE people, not sure if I clarified that. Those comments are simply what I heard from my spot in the E-zone that day. Like I said, not representative of everyone by any means, just thought they were really interesting comments, and they sparked this story idea.
      Doc -
      Seems like nowadays with the scan ticket technology, it should be possible to identify who gets tickets and fails to use them. Pisses me off because when I was a student there were times when I wanted to go to a game and did not have a ticket because all the allotted student tickets were claimed. I can't imagine that today is much different so if there are students who consistently get tixs yet repeatedly don't use them, I'd not be opposed to revoking their ticket privileges.

Likewise, I'd not object to the school doing the same to any student caught "scalping" their student ticket.
      Darrell KSR -
      This may be a dumb question, but are the student tickets identified as a student ticket, and do you need a student i.d. plus the ticket to get in?

If not, would that help eliminate the scalping, knowing that you'd still need a student i.d. to get in?
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      This may be a dumb question, but are the student tickets identified as a student ticket, and do you need a student i.d. plus the ticket to get in?

If not, would that help eliminate the scalping, knowing that you'd still need a student i.d. to get in?

Not sure how it is now but back in the olden days you needed both a student ticket and a student ID. You could purchase a student guest ticket but the guest had to accompany a student with an ID.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Ticket plus ID. Unlike alaBama where students can put tickets on ebay or sell to scalpers, UK runs a Gestapo at the gate. The only thing UK has done to improve things for students is to put the ticket lottery on line.
      Edward100 -
      Or...buy the tickets at the door. Then you will know who wants to come and who uses the system for personal gain. As far as the transportation idea may I suggest a gathering place(s) and have buses there for the reason to transport students to Rupp Arena to watch the game. Reverse this after the game.
      Ashley Scoby -
      Darrell - you have to flash a student ID at security to get in but by no means does it have to match the ID that purchased the tickets.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Attendance is down in all sports across the spectrum. Watched pre-game story before the NFL games this weekend about how everything is all about the TV experience now. Everyone has these huge high def flat screens and prefer to just watch from home. Franchises don't necessarily mind because they make 3 times the money off TV then they do the fans in the stands. Tons of effort has been put in to making the TV experience better and the at game experience has suffered. Nt just a UK problem.

Fine by me. Will open up seats for me! In fact, thanks to Mick, my son and I will be in the eruption zone for the Morehead game.
      Jimcats -
      Don't know what drives students these days since I'm about 3 generations removed from them, but I do find myself less interested in these great winning teams because I don't feel kinship with the players. About the time I feel acquainted, they're gone. Cal wins with his one and dones and can't be faulted for that since he's only making the most of the existing situation. Still, it's just not what I've been used to for, lo, these many years and having relative strangers wearing The Blue just isn't the same.

Yeah, I guess we old folks don't welcome some changes so much---that may be my problem.
  • KSR Twitter Feed