Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Report card vs Gonzaga

By: RONALD "DOC" BALL

Had to work until 5:00 so have not read the game thread or had any input other than my own observations. Was able to "catch up" to see end live.
    General Impressions General impression is "Disappointed". Had I done this at the half it would have been way way worse. At that point I was just pissed. This team has the potential to be the most disappointing team under Calipari but fortunately they have the 20-21 team. Folks, our interior defense is a sham. We were abused to no end, and had no answer. Bradshaw and Ivisic are just too weak, they get manhandled by bigger men. None of the three possess a mean streak. Look at Ike on the bench or on the floor. He scowls. We, we just clap our hands and smile. Their is no interior thoughness at all. Its literally men vs boys. I don't blame Aaron or Ivisic for that. They are what they are. Without Mitchell there is zero physicality. Adou does his best but under the glass, we get punked every time. In fact we had 3 players with 5 rebounds, none of which were centers (Reed, Adou and Justin). Combined our centers had 7. Defensively, the threesome is a mess. However I do blame them for the execution, or lack of. We railed on Oscar last year for his defensive struggles. IMO these 3 are as bad. How often to they end up on the guard after a pick and roll? Was it Oscar that was bad or is that how they are instructed? I'm leaning to instructed since all three do it. Decision making also a huge issue. Not sure about DJ's trey, and really pissed about Aaron ridiculous one. Was one other really bad one but I forget by whom. Like may non-Lexitonians, I joined 3 1/2 minutes in and wasn't shocked to see us down. The poor starts are unacceptable as we start in a hole and spend the game getting out of it.

Tre Mitchell Perhaps the most missed players. Watching Ike just back down our centers time and time again was maddening. Mitchell might have helped.

Justin Edwards B- 8 pts on 3-8 shooting with a trey, 5 boards, no TO and no assists in 29 minutes. He didn't hurt the team like some others but his contributions need to be more. He had no major defensive lapses, and his man never abused him but we still need more. I would say his defense was "average" which for this team is good. Topped the +/- with 7. I'm not looking for heroics out of him, just solid. Today he was solid

DJ Wagner C Limited to 13 minutes. Hit one of his 4 shot, neither of his trey, and made 1 of 2 FT for 3 points. One trey was absurd. Had me screaming "WHY?". Plus minus was down 9. Not the worse on the team but not good either.

Aaron Bradshaw D+ When you get backed down, then next time backed down, then backed down again...and again...and again.... maybe its time to try something different. My favorite was the foul he committed wit his ass because he was looking away from his man. I've stated it before, and will again.... far more disappointed him him than any of the freshmen. 3 points and 2 rebounds in 11 minutes does not cut it. Was a positive 6 on the plus minus.

Antonio Reeves B That's what my eye says. 17 points on 6-13 shooting in 31 minutes. Only shot 2 treys, hitting 1. Add an assist, a block, a steal and a turnover to go with + /- of 6. It wasn't a bad game, just not engaged.

Zvonimir Ivisic C Again, another butter center, because he is soft, not smooth. He was -6 and was not the answer to Ike. Did grab 4 boards in 11 minutes to go with 7 points on a trey and 4 FT. He needs to be a "moving" center, in and out of the lane. Now he sort of does neither.

Robert Dillingham B- Hard grade for me. Team worse +/- at -13. Was he injuried? Why did he play FOUR (4) minutes the second half? OK, it wasn't GOOD ROB, but it wasn't BAD ROB either. He hit a couple treys (2-3) and none of his four twos. This one confuses me.

Reed Sheppard B Did nothing the first 20 minutes. Had no pts and a -10. Second half he goes for 21 and a plus 7. Still, for a players with such a HIGH IQ, he sure makes some dumb passes. 4 turnovers is not cutting it. His second half heroics outstanding but the first half egg tempers it. Overall was 8-14, with 5 rebounds, 4 turnovers, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals.

Ugonna Onyenso C- Played 19 minutes and took zero shots. But to his credit, he wasn't a wet dishrag defensively. The only shinning spot is 3 blocks. Its sure not the -11, or the 2 rebounds. He was part of the "big boy combo" (do not look that up on Urban dictionary) that went 2-5, with 7 rebounds in 41 minutes of play, while getting abused on the other end.

Adou Thiero A- His best game of the year IMO. 15 points on 6-11 shooting with 5 rebounds, 2 assist, a turnover and 3 blocks. The only negative was -8. Took some physical abuse but played a team high 32 minutes. Looked healthy.

Jordan Burks C- Needs to spend more time working on where he should be than where others should be. You want to play? Need more than zero points, zero rebounds and four fouls in 7 minutes.

Joey Hart

Coaching DSlow start again, defense is a train wreck again especially inside vs big/physical guys. Still befuddled where Rob was.

Officials C Let to much pushing, throwing, clutch, go on

Commentators B Love Jay Wright. He knows when to keep his mouth shut and when to add something of value. I less worried about getting his catch phrases in than calling the game.

Other 3 homes losses is unacceptable for a team this talented. Being pushed around at home is unacceptable. They took 7 more shots than us (68-71) and hit 4 more than us. Why? Because they destroyed us on the glass 43 to 31. No need to look any farther. This loss falls on the feet of our lack on interior toughness and the ability to hit the glass. Shocking for a team that has 3 seven footers.
  • KSR Twitter Feed