Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v South Carolina Upstate baseball – FRIDAY thread

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Coming off the program’s second-ever Super Regional appearance a season ago, the Kentucky Baseball program kicks off its 2024 campaign against USC Upstate on Friday, February 16 at 3 p.m. ET. The Wildcats and the Spartans will be playing a three-game series to open the season, with games on Saturday (2 p.m.) and Sunday (1 p.m.) closing the opening weekend of play.

Kentucky, who is receiving votes in three national polls, is looking to build off a historic 2023 season on the backs of a solid core of returning players and an impressive class of freshmen and transfers. Preseason laurels have flooded to the Cats’ battery, as starting catcher, and 2023 Lexington Regional Most Outstanding Player, Devin Burkes, was named Preseason-All SEC, while projected weekend starting pitchers, Dominic Niman (1st Team) and Mason Moore (3rd Team) have been named Preseason-All Americans by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. Also returning for Kentucky is the middle infield duo of Émilien Pitre and Grant Smith, who guided the Cats to the nation’s top fielding percentage in 2023.

Travis Smith is slated to be the opening day starter for Kentucky, as the top-100 draft prospect (MLB.com) looks to build on a solid freshman campaign. Niman is scheduled to get the ball on Saturday, where the lefty transfer from Central Connecticut State should make his Wildcat debut. Moore, a Morehead, Ky. native, is penciled in to close out the weekend, as he transitions into a starting role this season.

USC Upstate, the preseason favorites out of the Big South, is one of the winningest teams in the nation over the past three seasons, racking up 110 victories since 2021. The Spartans are led by a league-leading seven preseason all-conference selections, headlined by all three weekend starters and 2023 first teamer Grant Sherrod. USC Upstate finished as the 2023 Big South runners-up, falling one game short of the league’s automatic qualifier when they fell to Campbell, a 2023 national seed, in the tournament championship.
    Comments 43 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      D1 Baseball has Kentucky a #3 seed (that's a low seed) in the Durham Regional in their Preseason Field of 64 projection. At least they have us making the tournament, though.

Joe Healy of D1 Baseball will be at Kentucky v. SC Upstate today covering the game.
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks very much for the heads up. I should be able to watch after 3:00 pm. I would record from the beginning but can not figure out how to make ESPN+ to allow me to do that.
      BigBluePappy -
      At work, taking a late lunch and we lead 1-0 Top of the 2nd and no outs, still at bat...
      BigBluePappy -
      3-0 - Top 2 2 out and I am going back from lunch...
      BigBluePappy -
      4-2 Top of 3rd 0 out UK batting
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks...I'm meeting with my banker who is wondering why he's needed since I could stuff the money I have in a throw pillow...
      dan_bgblue -
      Top of the 4th and UK leads 4-2. 4-2 UK B4
      Catfan73 -
      Appreciate it men.
      dan_bgblue -
      4-2 UK T5
      dan_bgblue -
      5-2 UK in the 5th. Runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs. Bunt single to load the bases
      dan_bgblue -
      Walk to make score 6-2 with no outs. Pitching change Upstate
      dan_bgblue -
      Grounder and throw home makes it one out and bases still full.
      dan_bgblue -
      terrible call from the ump on a pitch outside and low sends the UK batter back to the dugout. Bases still loaded with out. Grounder thru the left side plates two more. Balk moves runners up to 2nd and 3rd. 8-2 UK B5
      Doc -
      4 runs in top of 5
      Doc -
      Much as we dislike ESPN, I will say I love the fact they are streaming this type of program. Baseball one of the few purr college sports
      blueboss -
      Go Cats!!

Thanks for the call, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      BigBluePappy -
      Just checking in 8-3 good guys
      Bottom 6th two out and SCUPST still threatening with 2 away.
      dan_bgblue -
      8-4 UK T7
      dan_bgblue -
      9-4 UK B7
      dan_bgblue -
      Upstate home run makes the score 9-5 with the Cats coming to bat.
  • KSR Twitter Feed