Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Terrence Jones Nasty Dunk on Jodie Meeks

Comments 14 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Hes a monster, houston should play him more in their weirdo system of bringing along forwards...
      dan_bgblue -
      Nice charge. Meeks was well outside the arc and Jones ran right over him. It was a nice dunk though.
      CitizenBBN -
      We have so many players in the NBA they're running into each other!
      BigBlueBrock -
      So what is the difference between that play and the play Goodwin made vs Lafayette that was a charge? NCAA refs? The Lafayette kid being white? Both?
      dan_bgblue -
      NCAA refs vs NBA refs is my answer.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
      So what is the difference between that play and the play Goodwin made vs Lafayette that was a charge? NCAA refs?
      NCAA versus NBA, though I agree w Dan it was a charge in the NBA as well. They just don't like to call charges and it's a big point of emphasis to get away from it.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      NCAA versus NBA, though I agree w Dan it was a charge in the NBA as well. They just don't like to call charges and it's a big point of emphasis to get away from it.
      That's good and how it should be. Deemphasizing that kind of call takes away incentive to "take" charges, which bastardize the game.
      dan_bgblue -
      I can not see how it bastardizes the game at all. Heck that rule has been in place forever. Play with the rule you are given or pay the price. Like in a tennis match if the serving player steps across the line to gain an advantage it is a foot fault (foul) and the player forfeits the point.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      I can not see how it bastardizes the game at all. Heck that rule has been in place forever. Play with the rule you are given or pay the price. Like in a tennis match if the serving player steps across the line to gain an advantage it is a foot fault (foul) and the player forfeits the point.
      I meant the teaching of "taking charges" as a core part of defense, i.e., Duke. The charge rule exists for a reason, but when I see players do nothing more than get in the way in order to try and get a charge call, I just can't help but think that isn't what the rule is meant for. Players don't make plays on the ball or anything, they just see someone driving and try to get in the way in order to get a legitimate play wiped out (ala, Goodwin's "charge" over the Lafayette kid).
      dan_bgblue -
      Gotcha. We disagree, but I have no problem with that. I do understand your point though.
      CitizenBBN -
      It hurts the game when it starts to become fraudulent, a la Duke. The NBA crackdown is on guys faking charges, the flop. However, the pro game wants big dunks and wants defenders to not undercut guys who are flying at the rim. THey want offense and to protect very valuable players from injuries. So they put in the arc under the rim, they have the continuation rule, and now trying to stop flopping.

The NCAA rules are a bit more "pure" in the sense that there's more balance between offense and defense and are more historically true to the game, but teams like Duke take advantage of it and basically game the officials versus playing basketball.

I prefer the college game, but like any rule the refs have to not get suckered. Help rotating over is one thing, the Duke "he mugged me" thing is about not being able to defend on ball.

Even in the NBA though that was a charge, though they do look more at whether the defender is set before the ball carrier leaves his feet.
      BigBlueBrock -
      To me, the current state of the block/charge in the college game is like Dean Smith's "Four Corners" basketball strategy. Legitimate and within the rules? Yes. Awful for the game? YES!
      ukpumacat -
      My two favorite parts of that play:
      1. TJ catches a pass while running full speed and didn't even see it coming.
      2. He dunks it with his right hand.
      anderwt -
      He ended up with 8 points and 4 rebounds..he needs more pt
  • KSR Twitter Feed