Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Report card vs UNC-CH

By Ronald "Doc" Ball

General Impressions Big win for UK, and a statement one, despite the absolutely idiotic actions of our staff/head coach. I get outsiders trying to take us down, be it "rooferees" or opposing fans, etc, but when it is OUR coach that is unacceptable. That said, an enjoyable game, far better than Stonehill or KY State. Its game like this that make you better, win or lose. You see who will step up and who won't. Give me this over the "Kentucky Classic" all day long. I will say my grades weil be generous since it was a win but also to emphasize the shear disgust I have with the nonplayers involved in this contest. I will say I love the starting lineup and the reserve lineup. I thing Adou off the bench is great. IMO he was Star of the game! I also like Reed and Robert off the bench. It is just such a spark. I would have had Mitchel on Baycot from the opening tip, rather than Bradshaw, but impressed wit Aaron's game. Lots of potential

Tre Mitchell B Statwise, not impressive. 5 shots, hit 3, including a triple, added 5 rebounds in 32 minutes. We need more than that, but he was effective without scoring. It was a solid effort, especially defensively. But mostly it was just keeping the flow going. Many like Sheppard as the stabilizing force. Its not. It is Tre. He led without putting up big numbers.

Justin Edwards B- A generous grade for sure. He needs to step up at some point but he had a huge rebound and put back at a critical time. He did not hurt the team. Only played 12 minutes tied for the team lead in rebounds with 6. Was only 3 for 9 shooting but were good shots. If he gives us 8 pts and 6 rebounds a night, I am happy.

DJ Wagner A- Many won't see the impact he had. Some will disagree but IMO he was the most important player on the floor. Was 6-14 with 2-4 from long range, 14 points and tied for team high in rebounds. Led the team in minutes with 34. Was 1 of 2 players with a negative +/- (-7) but he made the big players when needed. His 5 assists was team high to go with 2 turnovers. He showed his ability to score is so many ways at the rim. Perimeter shooting is great but Cal's system requires a guard who can get to the rim. DJ is the perfect fit for that.

Adou Thiero A I can not overemphasize his contribution. I LOVE him off the bench, far more than starting. Some advocate starting him over Edwards but not me. I love him off the bench. He has the potential to be the greatest Cal success of all times. And that is not hyperbole. His swats today were epic. I can not think of a single bad play he made all game. 2-4 and 1-2 with only 1 rebound but 4 blocks in 17 minutes was fantastic.

Aaron Bradshaw B+ I could justify an A, but believe there is more in the tank. Not happy with 2 turnovers, no assists and only 3 rebounds but am happy with 12 pt and some good interior defense. More than held his owner against more experienced players.

Antonio Reeves B- Was MIA for much of the game but to his credit, he did not kill us. Too often a players has a bad game and in an effort to correct kills us with 15-20 bad shots. Antoinio didn't do that , to his credit. He stayed in the game, deferred at the right times, and stepped up when needed. I will acknowledge that with a strong grade.

Robert Dillingham B+ Over came a few errors but his hustle was inspiring. I love him off the bench with reed. He is the perfect back up for Wagner. His team high 17 pts is not unexpected, nor is his 1-6 long range. Still, when he brings the change of pace and confidence it is so key

Reed Sheppard B+ Just so fundamentally strong. He seldom does "dumb" stuff. Am always happy when he the ball because you know it won't be some head scratcher. 11 pts in in 25 minutes. 3 turnovers to 2 assists was not a good look but the two steals was.

Jordan Burks

Ugonna Onyenso B For a first game of the season, big success due to big effort. He and Aaron is a daunting force inside. He played physical, made UNC pay the price of coming inside. That is all I ask, all I expect.

Joey Hart

Coaching F I'd give a G if I could. How in the name of God do you get a technical foul coming off an 8-1 run, where you steal the ball, hit a trey then grab an offensive rebound. That is the time you bitch? Stupid is such an inadequate word in this case. It was bafoonish, it was moroinic, and it could have cost us the game! Also, IMO Mitchell on Bacot was a far far better matchup. Mitchel plays big and smart. He has the tools to play vs a seasoned player

Officials F+ The plus was because a straight would have equated to Cal's antics.

Commentators C- Raftery is a dope with tourettes syndrome.

Other Huge win. Showed the nation what UK is capable of. We won the battle of the boards 42-32 which was unexpected and huge. We shot 35 percent from long range and 45 overall. both acceptable numbers. 15 assists to 14 turnovers is not good. That needs to be fixed. Our bench kicked in 36 points which is the production we need.
  • KSR Twitter Feed