Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Ray Davis the Ultimate team Player

By: LONNY DEMAREE

With the Saturday’s game against the rank Florida Gators, you can color Davis MODEST – GROUNDED – and COMPLIMENTARY.

I have covered several running backs in my writing days and he defects his honors better than any I’ve seen and the best lines he’s been behind. Davis said when he came to UK and said back in the spring he had ran behind three offensive lines and this one is markedly the best.

In the first three games, questions were sprinkles around of what happened to that line he was describing. The team was consistently running behind the chains. There were more than enough times the second downs were running from a distinct disadvantage of 2nd and 10, 9,8,7, and 6. Second and 4+ is considered exceptable.

What did he envision when he came to play at a school like Kentucky that he felt was on the move upwards? He is quick to compliment his offensive line for their play. ”I am so glad for the offensive line to finally get their due because they have worked so hard,” Davis said. “All the criticism they were getting falls on me for sometimes not seeing the holes. They didn’t deserve the tough critiquing they were receiving.’’

For his monster game, he said give them a lot of the credit. “I said from day one this was the best lines I have been behind and I definitely have not changed my mind,” the humble Davis said. For a player with that mind set, how can you not like and respect him.

“The days when the O-line are having the good days you have to give them their due, and when they are not you have to come after me. People should not come after the O-line, that falls on me. “I’m not seeing what I need to see.”

If Davis can stockpile more of those good days and the team can play complementary football, this Wildcat team can have a high degree of success. It’s been my experience that there is no consternation. All the players say, that’s why they came to go UK and that’s to play in big games like the #1 Georgia Bulldogs. Are teams going to come after you seeing what you accomplished? Davis said – “It’s exciting going into Georgia with a team that’s ready to compete and take down a #1 team in the country.”

An interesting sidebar is they Bulldogs offensive coordinator Mike Bobo is back at Georgia for his second time around. The irony of that, is the last time the Wildcats won in Georgia (2,009), Bobo was the offensive coordinator in that position. On a radio show I was listening to on my way back to Atlanta where I was staying, Bobo was getting roasted for the lost against UK.

Davis is not expected to go down ‘between the hedges’ and run for 280-yards but you can rest assured whatever success he has, the offensive line will get its lions-share for the credit from Davis.
  • KSR Twitter Feed