Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• From the Media Room at the Grand Hyatt in Nashville

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The break room revealed some surprising information from the UK players and Mark Stoops. Having collected all the information about Devin Leary, there still are some revealing things about his capabilities.

Through some unforeseen circumstances, I was led to call Joker Phillips who I had not conversed with in over three years. Since this is Phillips third year at North Carlina State, I asked Phillips to give me the straight skinny on Leary. He said Leary is not overly big in statue or overly strong, but he is tough as nails – he can throw the heck out of the football and is very accurate.

I asked Phillips if Leary has the ability to extend a play? Joker (Phillips) said no, he is strickly a pocket passer.

Just three days ago I ran into UK’s starting left tackle Marques Cox over ordering some food and he, echoed everything Phillips said.

In today’s interview sessions, JJ Weaver said in addition to his ability to get the ball out, he can scramble which came as a surprise to him.
    I asked Stoops how consistency stacks up against the culture you have built at UK? Some players tend to slack up in practice in terms of consistency. He said that’s how you framed it. I would never say that about a player. “As a football coach, that’s like talking about my mama,” Stoops said (laughs).

Coming from the players, I know they all want to win on Saturday by how you approach it during the week in practice – going hard every play – paying diligence to detail.

I’m not a football coach and I just take it from the players. We asked JJ Weaver about the difference in Deone Walker from this year to last year? Weaver said it is consistent. Sometimes he has the tendency to lay back on some plays in practice.

“That is coming from them but if you know anything about our program, you know we have filled the pieces we need to keep this thing on an upward track. “We are very blue collared and a hard-nosed football team.” He said they have some highs and some lows but we feel have we have corrected that. He said they had some controversy last year and they are not proud about that but the have not had much of that on the program.

Stoops was asked how he felt about the offensive line? He replied, “It's good.” He said he will know more about that as they proceed in practice. What is your reaction when you hear that he is the eight longest tenure coach in college football? “I didn’t know that, but I know I am the second longest in the SEC behind a pretty good one,” said (laughs).

We are sure we can improve with that honor with demanding work. He said Leary can make all the throws and has such good commands, again, he feels it is time to go because I love how this team works,” he explained in Liam Coen coming back he has a better understanding of play calling in the SEC.

Octavious Oxendine said in Leary has the full package, the arm, the legs, the play calling, everything you would want in a quarterback. He makes my job on defense harder.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Sounds like Stoops and the Homeboys got Lonny jacked
      lol--that's clever; I like.

Thanks, Lonny. Sorry I couldn't make it this year; I always enjoy visiting when we can.
      Terry Blue -
      Y'all will have to go to Dallas next year
      Darrell KSR -
      That would be fun.
  • KSR Twitter Feed