Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Offensive Coordinator Liam Coen Excites the Wildcat Football Faithful

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Of all the years I’ve Attended the Quarterback Club banquet starting at the Big Springs Country Club where one year I was guest speaker, Liam Coen was a big hit because he was enthused about his presentation. Most of all answered the questions that came from the huge audience. He was not ready to give up the microphone and would have taken questions as long as he had voice to answer.

Not only that, but he also took photographs with fans that tickled grown men until what ever season tickets left to be sold sent a stream to the ticket window or to their computers at home.

He said – “It’s not easy on a team when they lose as many offensive linemen to the Pros over the last two years as UK did. But we feel we have gone out and hit the transfer portal and filled our needs”. He said the Transfer Portal has been good for the Wildcats. The major need has been the offensive line. Left tackle Marcus Cox from Northern Illinois has been one of those cogs. “Marcos (Cox) has earned the respect of the players,” Coen said. He said the players gotten out of the portal some hold over linemen and Koby Keenum, I’d be surprised if we are not better this season.

We are in competition for the backup quarterback spot behind North Carolina State transfer Devin Leary. He mentioned the players in competition for that spot – Kaiya Sheron, Destin Wade and Deuce Hogan. “I feel good about that group.” He said he’s confident someone will emerge. He said they’d had a really good summer.

Coen talked about the tight end room and was excited to have Bates back. “The tight end is a really, deep room. A player Izayah Cummins that intrigues is one that was we were happy didn’t run to the portal. Coen said he knows what he can do and used the word explosive to describe him.

It’s not always what he says but what he doesn’t say. A player that’s intriguing is the very last player signed in the 2023 class. Four-star Jamarion Wilcox out Douglasville, Georgia committed in the February signing day. He was highly recruited. Coen said with freshmen they are learning how to be a student/athlete – finding their classroom; they are running around like a chicken with their head cut off. He has awesome talent - he can run. We just need to show him this is how you work – this is how you show up on time. Once we get to training camp, we can see how he can go. He’s a good kid though. He’ someone you can hand off for four and he and he can take it to the house. A couple people made the Boom Williams comparison. “We haven’t really had that,” Coen said. We’ve had a bruiser type back which is good. A lot more could be said about Wednesday Wildwood country Club experience.
    Comments 1 Comment
      Catfan73 -
      Thanks Lonny!
  • KSR Twitter Feed