Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mayoral Spring Practice Wrap up

By: LONNY DEMAREE

During my tenure on the sidelines down through the years, surprises and or changes have been plentiful.
    On a more personal note, April fool date was no joke. I have been out by a football field and or in the stands and experienced rain, snow, intense heat, and intense cold, but never have I been beat up by the wind gust. It was an experience to beat all experiences in which I was glad to be a 200-pounder.

Never before have I seen a collection of receivers and tight ends and other playmakers at the University of Kentucky. Mark Stoops had good success in developing next level defensive backs I’ll start with the back end of the defense in grouping with some individual analysts. Jalen Geiger, Zion Childress, and Jordan Lovett form a trio of playmakers that play like linebackers that NFL analyst Mike Mayock describe as High Motor Guys. That’s a player who displays tireless effort until the whistle on every snap. Defensive coach Brad White is very high on this group. “I’m going to lean heavily on these guys this season,” White said. Childress speaks with authority!

Another group of hard hitters Andru Phillips, Alex Afari Jr, Maxwell Hairiston, and Jordan Robinson are a group of versatile cornerbacks that love to bring the wood. In relation to this set of guys Mayock describes as Taffy Pull meaning: despite a flurry of activity, neither the defensive or offensive player gains a decisive advantage. These guys laid some hits in the offensive that made me cringe.

The linebacker group led back JJ Weaver will be heard from this fall. Inside backers Trevin Wallace and D’Eryk Jackson will be one of the best duos in the south in the fall. Despite backing up Jacquez Jones and DeAndre Square both productive Super Seniors. Jackson was the leading tackler on the team and Wallace is said to be the best athlete on the defensive side of the ball. Mayock calls them Down Hill Thumpers: A physical linebacker who attacks and plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

A cadre of defensive linemen led by Deone Walker. Mike Mayock says they are guys that: Get Through The Trash. When a defender is able to successfully navigate through a mass of blockers and teammates and make a tackle.

The running backs are a solid group that’s waiting until the summer arrives when a freshman burner that shows every accolade know to the football community. Jamarion Wilcox is a thicker, quicker version of Boom Williams.

Another group tight ends that’s never been seen before in a Wildcat Uniform, three of which were not in Spring Practice. In line blockers Brenden Bates, Jordan Dingle, and Josh Kattus will be back for the fall. They help bolster the offensive blocking. In the meantime a very happy hybrid tight end Izayah Cummins is enjoying the return of Liam Coen who know how to use his talents. Another very talented freshman enrollee Khamari Anderson from the football factory Cass Tech in Detroit got to dip his foot in the fire and impressed. Coen said “this guy should be getting ready for his high school Prom.

The offensive-hit of spring practice according to Coen, has been Jager Burton who
    was moved to the center position. He is very athletic, smart, depended on to make all the line calls, quarterback calls, make timely snaps, and executes his blocking assignments. Burton’s athleticism helps him to second level block, pull, set the edge with his Peter blocks, and Reach Blocks. Save the best for last that being quarterback Devin Leary a youngster that has the qualities of a leader. He knows the name of every player in that locker room, offensive and defensive.

He backs it up with slick quarterback play and the receivers going be balling. He fits tight windows with pristine accuracy. Nuff said (ha-ha).

Chance Poore

Poore is finally going to get to do what he was recruited to do, and that’s execute something other the kickoffs and holding for kicks. As it stands he is the kicker with ta strong leg. Poore said he is elated with special teams/running backs coach Jay Boldware. He is intense and demands excellency. He looks at special teams as one third of the football team.
    Poore said it was fun kicking in the wind while judging the cross-wind velocity and how to get it through the goal-post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Good report Mayor
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks very much Lonny. I hope the news on Poore actually results in a solid kicking game that was missing last season. Consistent 3 pointers from 40 to 50 yards are a must for a team clawing their way into the top 5 in the conference. The older I get the personal pride factor seems to lessen and the curiosity factor takes over, so what the heck is a "Peter Block" ? I never had a coach tell me to execute a Peter Block block back in the late 60s and early 70s.
      LonnyDemaree -
      It is also spelled Pita!
      BigBluePappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Thanks very much Lonny. I hope the news on Poore actually results in a solid kicking game that was missing last season. Consistent 3 pointers from 40 to 50 yards are a must for a team clawing their way into the top 5 in the conference. The older I get the personal pride factor seems to lessen and the curiosity factor takes over, so what the heck is a "Peter Block" ? I never had a coach tell me to execute a Peter Block block back in the late 60s and early 70s.
      Mid to late 70's and that was an alien term to me as well, Dan.
      Here's a hint, don't try to Google Peter block while at work; I just got out of HR's office...
  • KSR Twitter Feed