Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops Looking for Toughness and Leaders

By: LONNY DEMAREE

For a team to be good, where does it all start? The offensive line!
    Mark Stoops has one day in spring and fall practice like Saturday. What leads to having that day? Lackluster offensive play - Stoops was irate about that very thing. For him it was a smack to the culture he 0has built and trying to maintain with the Big Blue Wall. When he see that being challenged he puts his foot down hard on some people.

The coaches want to see the 2023 version of the Wildcat football team, player led.
    Coach Zach Yenser said today that he felt like they accepted the challenge and changed some mindset. “On both sides of the ball, guys responded today, it’s going well obviously adding Marques Cox and Tanner Bowles to the mix and two young freshmen. Jager Burton moving in at center allows Kenneth Horsey and Eli Cox back to their more natural positions.

“Jager Burton moving into center is paying early dividends. This is just his seventh or eighth practice and getting every day and it is going well - he is very athletic.” Liam Coen echoed as much. It brings about some flexibility in the ability to get out on the edge in some wide zone and to pull on certain plays and get to the second level blocking.

Yenser said “this team goes as we go. We had to get their minds right. Coach is so good to those guy and when he sternly calls for it they respond. The team was playing in our backfield too much and Coach didn’t like that.” How do you build the depth? We are obviously having a battle at the right tackle spot right now - and Deon (Deondre Buford). David Wohlabaugh, and I think Paul Rodriquez has responded well.
    Liam Coen said Devin Leary doesn’t have to push it right now but he feels after spring he will start to push it in the leadership role. “We have three of our road dogs out right now, in Brenden Bates, Josh Kattus, and Jordan Dingle,” Coen said, “which makes it hard to establish balance in the pass game. Right now we are working on the run game. I though Ray Davis really showed up well today.”

Spring is about competition. “I think we took huge steps today with Ray Davis and Jager, Coen said. “Right now it’s all about how to run the football effectively and being physical. Coen said he thinks Davis is a smart and has really good vision - a one cut back. “Made a few today where he just rode the wave and once he saw the opening he made the cut and through the hole. He understand all the combinations, the Angles, the reach blocks, which gives him a leg up and things that are happening in front of him. I think he had a really good day today.”

Davis said he is taking a roll in the leadership department. Wide receiver Tayvion Robinson said the same.
  • KSR Twitter Feed