Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky Baseball Doubleheader Today hosting Indiana State

Indiana State was a pretty good team last year, just missing the top 100 RPI, and, although it is early, they have an RPI of 73 today, despite a 2-5 record. The Missouri Valley Conference can be a good baseball conference. Last year they played 6 games against Quadrant 1 opponents, going 2-3-1, so they have a pretty good outcome about half the time. Would like to see Kentucky get the sweep today.

Although our record is decent at 6-2, and it is far too early to worry about this stuff just yet, something to keep an eye on all season will be our RPI. We sit today at 96, of course, too heavily influenced by our opponents at this point. Our strength of schedule is 159, but that will go up and, again, I actually think that we did a good job with scheduling this year so I am optimistic that it will pay off. Of course, Nick and the boys have to do their part when the games, too.

Early-season RPI is always fun to watch. The top 3 teams are all ACC, and then the fourth team is from the SEC, finally, but not one you would think – Georgia. The funny thing about Georgia, who has eight 7-2 record, is they vaulted from #221 last week to #4 this week.

After Georgia, we see a Princeton team with a 2-3 record coming in at RPI #5, and Columbia, who is won only 1 game this year, sporting a lofty #8 RPI. Obviously, way, way, way too early to worry about RPI but just fun to watch.
    Comments 20 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Just saw something a little depressing. Every SEC school except Missouri and Kentucky have made multiple College World Series appearances since 2000. SEC has one 8 National Championships then, too.

My hopes for the season are limited to a decent run in the SEC Tournament, a NCAA appearance, and I would be thrilled if we would make the Super Regionals by winning a regional. That really should not be too much to ask.
      blueboss -
      Go Cats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Darrell KSR -
      Kentucky appears to have settled in on Logan Martin as their Friday night starter, or in this case, Saturday first game of the doubleheader after the rainout last night.

He had a very poor record for his D3 team, but was still named the conference Pitcher of the Year. I have not seen him pitch, but he evidently has some talent.

Game 1
      Kentucky leads, 4-1, B3.

Martin has thrown three innings, allowing 3 hits including one double, 1 walk, striking out 2, and allowing 1 earned run.
      Darrell KSR -
      At the plate, Kentucky has 4 hits through the first 2 at bats, all singles, with 1 walk, but has somehow managed to score 4 runs on those 4 singles. That's that type of scrappy baseball that we're going to play this year. Some days it's going to frustrate the heck out of us.

We scored the 4 runs all in the second inning.

- Pitre led off the inning with a single, and Gilliam followed with another single. Felker had a sacrifice bunt, moving the runners both into scoring position.
      - The top-of-the-lineup came up with Waldschmidt, who had a base hit to left field, scoring Pitre and Gilliam advance 1st to 3rd even though it was on the left side.
      - Church walked, moving Waldschmidt to second, and loading the bases. All runners advanced on a wild pitch, and then Smith followed with a full count, two RBI base hit to left field.
      Darrell KSR -
      Game 1
      Kentucky 4, Indiana State 2, B4

Logan Martin still on the mound. Doing ok, but I'm not seeing Friday night SEC starter out of him, and I think that's where Mingione has him pegged.

Line so far: 4.0 innings, 4 hits (1 double, 1 HR), 3 walks, 4 strikeouts, 2 earned runs.
      78 pitches, 46 strikes. May go one more inning. May.
      Darrell KSR -
      Not sure we'll see another Evan White, but kudos to Gilliam on the right-handed scoop here.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1632079978132283393
      Darrell KSR -
      Kentucky wins Game 1, 4-2. It turned out that Logan Martin had finished his last inning, and with him only going 4.0 innings, he was not eligible for the win, although there was no scorn for either team after he departed.

That brought in Darren Williams, and he showed absolutely no signs of the injury lingering, with a spectacular performance, completing the remaining 5.0 innings of shutout baseball, allowing only 1 hit, and walking nobody, while striking out 2. He threw 61 pitches in 5 innings, with 38 of them going for strikes.
      Darrell KSR -
      Game 2
      Kentucky 0, Indiana state 0, B3
      Darrell KSR -
      Tyler Bosma gets the start for Kentucky in Game 2. He has struck out 4 in 3 innings, allowing only 1 hit, and has spotted his pitches beautifully, throwing 30 of his 36 pitches for strikes.
      Darrell KSR -
      Cats blew a golden opportunity in the bottom of the third inning. After a leadoff strikeout, Gray tripled to right field on a full count after fouling off five consecutive 2-2 pitches, then taking a ball before delivering. Unfortunately, McCoy struck out and Burkes grounded out to strand him 90 feet away.

Game 2
      Kentucky 0, Indiana State 0, B4
      Darrell KSR -
      After allowing a leadoff single in the top of the 4th inning, Bosma proceeded to get a ground out in two consecutive strikeouts. He still sitting pretty at 53 pitches.
      Darrell KSR -
      Kentucky notched a single tally in the bottom of the fourth inning, and when Indiana State matched it in the top of the fifth inning, Kentucky exploded for 4 runs in the bottom of the fifth inning.

Game 2
      Kentucky 5, Indiana State 1, T7
      Darrell KSR -
      Pitching note: Austin Strickland relieved Tyler Bosma after 5 innings. Bosma appears to have struggled with his control, probably got tired in the fifth inning. I see that he finished with 80 pitches, only 54 strikes (which is good, but he was still stellar after 53 pitches, and I noticed that he walked 2 batters in the 50 inning as well. Everything points to him being tired as he was just stellar through 4 innings.
      Darrell KSR -
      Kentucky's 4 run outburst in the bottom half of the fifth inning was highlighted with the following:

– 1 out triple from Gray
      – McCoy bunted for a base hit, scoring Gray and getting an RBI
      – Burks was hit by pitch
      – Pitre had an infield hit to the shortstop, loading the bases
      – Gilliam singled to right field, a two RBI base hit. Pitre scooted from 1st to 3rd base on the base hit.
      – Felker bunted, scoring Pitre and getting an RBI, although the scorekeeper charged him with a fielder's choice, rather than a sacrifice. He probably doesn't care.

We ended the inning with Gilliam being thrown out at home, apparently picked off by the catcher. We're going to be kings and Goats this year on the base paths. I think you can pretty much count on that.
      Darrell KSR -
      After a good sixth inning (his first inning of work), Strickland wobbled in the seventh inning. His final line was:

2.0 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 homerun, 3 earned runs. Gotta make the pitches when they count, and he didn't.

Mason Moore is now in the game and had a spotless eighth-inning.

Game 2
      Kentucky 5, Indiana State 4, B8
      Darrell KSR -
      I'll try to dictate this like I'm calling a radio broadcast using my dictation software. Yeah, I'm just having fun.

Mason Moore into his second inning of work trying to get the save, Kentucky clinging to a 5-4 lead in the top half of the ninth-inning, 3 outs away from sweeping this doubleheader.

Here comes the first pitch and fly ball to centerfield, one out. Love those one pitch, one outs.

Here comes the second pitch, ground ball hit to the second baseman who throws it to first, and we have two pitches and two outs, even better. Can we get out of the inning and end the game on 3 pitches?

Not quite so lucky, as the first pitch is a ball, but then two strikes follow. Ahead on the count, 1-2, maybe we can get them now. There's Ball 2. There's Ball 3. Dad burnit, Ball 4 and the tying run is on base. Did not need to do that.

First pitch comes in with the tying run on first, but two down and it's a strike. There's a ball to even the count. There's another strike, and we find ourselves in the same position as we were a minute ago, ahead on the count, 1-2.

Unbelievable. Hit the batter.

The tying run now moves down to second base, with the go-ahead run trotting over to first base, still with 2 outs, but Mason Moore struggling.

Head coach Nick Mingione sticking with Mason. There's a ball to the batter and we fall behind. Called strike evens the count. Swing and a miss and we're ahead, you guessed it, 1-2 for the third batter in a row. There's a fly ball to right field, turning foul, and grabbed by the right fielder to in the ballgame.

Kentucky wins, Kentucky wins! Sweeps the doubleheader. Final score in Game 2, Kentucky 5, Indiana State 4. Tyler Bosma gets the win, moving him to 2-1 on the season and Mason Moore receives his second save on the year.

Will play Game 3 looking for the brooms tomorrow.
      Darrell KSR -
      Some Box Score Statistics:

First, the pitchers.

Bosma 5.0 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts, and 1 earned run.
      Strickland 2.0 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 hit by pitch, 4 strikeouts, 3 earned runs.
      Moore 2.0 innings, 0 hits, 1 walk, 1 hit by pitch, 0 runs.

Bosma with the win, Moore with the save.

Offensively we were led by three players with 2 hits, with Gilliam at the top of the pack. Gilliam went 2-3, with 3 RBIs. Pitre joined him with 2-3, scoring 2 runs. One of his two hits was a triple. And I probably should have let off with our leadoff hitter, Jackson Gray, who had an incredible day with a 2-2 performance, both triples, and 3 walks. Buddy, that's a leadoff hitter getting it done. Gray scored 1 run, and had 1 stolen base.

Felker and Walt Schmidt also had stolen bases on the day for Kentucky.
      blueboss -
      Good stuff, go Cats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks Darrell. I hope to be able to tune in to the finale tomorrow.
      UKFlounder -
      To be fair, the manager should have pulled him sooner. No need to go more than 30 innings.

Is Cal coaching the team? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I noticed that he walked 2 batters in the 50 inning as well. Everything points to him being tired
  • KSR Twitter Feed