Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky players in the G-League

In the world where nobody watches and you stay under the radar, a basketball league lives. It hosts six former Kentucky players:

Willie Cauley-Stein, Kellan Grady, Ashton Hagans, Davion Mintz, Mychal Mulder, and Olivier Sarr. The G League season is early, and most of the stats involve very few games but I thought it would be interesting to look and see how they are doing.

WCS is averaging 9.4 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, hitting 63.5% from the field. He plays for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Grady is averaging 12 points and 1.8 assists per game. He is hitting 44.8 percent from the field. He plays for the Grand Rapids Gold.

Hagans is listed as a 6'3 guard/forward, which I found interesting. He is averaging 7.7 points per game on 56.3 percent shooting, including 52.9 percent from three-point range. He is also adding 3.9 assists per game after dishing 6.7 last season. He plays for the Greensboro Swarm.

Mintz is averaging 7.5 points per game on 42.6% shooting, 26.9% from three-point range in 16 minutes a game. He also adds 1.4 assists per game. He plays for the Capital City Go-Go.

Mulder is in his fifth season in the G league. He is sort of reminding me of the Kevin Costner character in Bull Durham, being the star of the minor leagues. This season he is averaging 18.8 points per game on 45% shooting, including 43% from three-point range. He plays for the Sue Falls Skyforce.

Sarr has only played one game this season for Oklahoma City, but he scored 10 points in that game and grabbed five rebounds, with one blocked shot and 2 assists. In nine games last year, he averaged 8.7 points per game in 18.3 minutes, hitting 52.6 percent from the field, with 7.2 rebounds. He plays for the Oklahoma City Blue.
    Comments 9 Comments
      Philly Cat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      WCS is in the G-league? Very surprising.
      Not really. He has no offense except dunks. Those guys are a dime-a-dozen in Europe, and he never developed his body to be able to defend big, powerful NBA centers. Just a classic example of a good college player (i.e., Oscar) who has no place in the NBA.

I know you hate it, D, but when you watch the NBA one day -- I remain optimistic-- you'll see how skilled the center position has become at that level. These aren't your parents' back-to-the-basket centers anymore. They're almost all like 6'11 small forwards.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      Not really. He has no offense except dunks. Those guys are a dime-a-dozen in Europe, and he never developed his body to be able to defend big, powerful NBA centers. Just a classic example of a good college player (i.e., Oscar) who has no place in the NBA.

I know you hate it, D, but when you watch the NBA one day -- I remain optimistic-- you'll see how skilled the center position has become at that level. These aren't your parents' back-to-the-basket centers anymore. They're almost all like 6'11 small forwards.
      Which is why the game is so much more open. All 5 guys on NBA rosters are able to score facing the basket, on more if not most or all teams I am sure.

I am going to post at some point on our offense and I've found a couple of good youtube guys who break down the NBA offenses and defenses really well. The evolution of the pick and roll is especially interesting, and as one guy puts it, nearly impossible to defend when everyone can score from multiple positions.
      CitizenBBN -
      Re WCS I'm more with bakert, I just figured he'd be doing something else. What are G league salaries like these days?
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      I agree. I never thought of him as a guy who would ride a bus from Sioux Falls to Ft Wayne. Not because I thought he deserved to be in the NBA, necessarily, but more because he seemed to be a guy with other interests.
      did you know he played WR in high school?
      Catfan73 -
      I thought Mulder was in the big league.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      I thought Mulder was in the big league.
      Had one pretty good year with Golden State. Then called up a couple of times. But never has really stuck.

I'd say he and WCS are making decent salaries.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Article with the salary portion copied below:
      https://mixedarticle.com/mychal-muld...th-salary-wife

Mychal Mulder is getting paid far less than he was before with the Golden State Warriors. The Miami Heat currently pays Mulder a salary of around $1 million per year.

On March 24, 2022, the Miami Heat and Mychal agreed to a two-way contract.

Mulder signed a 10-day deal with the Golden State Warriors on February 27, 2020. The Warriors signed him to a multi-year contract after his 10-day contract expired.

Mulder and Golden State had non-guaranteed contracts into the 2020–21 season, but his performance earned him full guarantees for 2021. Mychal was granted $1.5 million per annum.

It also included a guaranteed minimum salary of $1,705,763 and annual average compensation of $1,162,795. Similarly, Mychal Mulder's net worth stands at $3 million.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Looks like most are doing pretty well. Seems they often sign an Exhibit 10 deal. Which appears to be the NBA league minimum (not guaranteed) but doesn't count against the team's salary cap. If they get cut, they get 50K. My quick search has concluded it is hard to nail down their exact salary.
      Catfan73 -
      I’d ride a few buses for a mil.
  • KSR Twitter Feed