Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops Looking to put More Digits on the Scoreboard

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Mark Stoops exhibited more enthusiasm after yesterday's practice than we have seen in quite some time. How do we interpret this display coming from the head man?

“It’s good to be back out there,” Stoops said. Guys showed a lot of energy,” Stoops said after Thursday’s practice. “Guys had a lot of energy. It’s good to see some new faces out there and to get those guys ready for action. It’s an exciting time. Recruiting is going well and it’s fun to get into some homes of future players.

When ask will we see some new things offensively in the game? Stoops said yes. We will see a little wrinkle out there. “We have extra time,” he said. “Everybody has more time to work on them. We will still run the football.

About the quarterbacks, with a fun response he said I think you know what I’m going to say. He said – “Each have had their moments. They have their days.” Stoops does not want to let the cat out of the bag. After all he is still active in the transfer portal recruiting a quarterback to pick up where Will Levis left off.

He said of Jay Boulware the new running back coach and special team’s coordinator, “I’m thrilled to add Jay to our staff at Kentucky. He has great energy, expertise, leadership, and command. He has coached a lot of good backs.”

Who are some of the new faces Stoops is referring to? Those are freshmen, redshirt freshman and sophomores? Wide receiver Dekel Crowdus showed flashes during the regular season. Then, there are burners in the wide receiver room in the person Brandon White and Jordan Anthony that excite Stoops. At the quarterback position there is, developing Kaiya Sheron who got his feet wet in the South Carolina game. And there’s redshirt freshman Destin Wade who has shown flashes in practice. Will Levis predicted you will see all the quarterbacks in the game? I’m not touting anybody, but what better way for Wade to have his coming out party than to show out in his hometown of Nashville.

There has been made mention of offensive linemen Grant Bingham and Paul Rodriquez. Will tight end Izayah Cummins re-emerge back to the level of 2021 when he made some outstanding plays? He can be an intricate piece of this offense in which he was used by Liam Coen. Running back La’vell Wright, no, doubt is one of the young players Stoops is alluding to. He has the power you are looking for in the backfield and has had an entire season to study himself on tape and see some missed opportunities.

Will Levis spoke of some consternation in the quarterback room when they hear of being possibly recruited over? “I tell them to just keep on working hard and things will work out. What you put on tape is who you are. Granted its nerve wracking.”

Jay Boulware is not in position to fairly comment on his position because he is in the film room studying what he has to work with. He is very impressive in front of the mic and could recruit me in my hay day.
  • KSR Twitter Feed