Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky v Michigan Report Card

By: Ronald "Doc" Ball

Photo: O2 Arena, UK Men's Basketball

General Impressions I expect quite a bit of disagreement which is fine so long as you support your side. My impression of the game overall was it was a quality win vs a quality opponent from a quality league which will help us come March seeding. It was not a well played game but that has no relevance come March. Nobody will remember. It is also hopefully the first step in an improvement of the team play. There were some bright spots but far more nonbright ones. Games like this expose your flaws, and shows where work needs to be done. Games vs N. FL and Bellermine don't. Lets hope we learn. My impression is UK plays much better when up tempo is used. Of course that sort of goes for any talented team. Its when underdogs slow the pace to keep the game close. We also need massive work on end of games/holding leads.

Jacob Toppin B- Grade really benefited from his second half. Played 25 minutes, 10 in the first half due to fouls. Managed 14 points with 10 coming after the break. Shot 50% on 6-12 and 2-3 from the line, to go with 5 rebounds. However he needs to become much more aggressive. He also needs to look to set screens and set up others. His missing Oscar wide open under the basket where he opted to shoot a 16 footers was about as bad as it comes. 1 assist in 25 minutes, to go with 2 turnovers. Also had the worse +/- score of -10. His defense wasn't bad, it just wasn't good.

Cason Wallace A- A bad turnover late along with some suspect FT shooting dropped him from a solid A, maybe A+ grade. Shot 5-8 including hitting all 4 of his treys to get 14 pts which tied with Toppin for team high scoring. However the 0-2 from the line isn't good. Was second to Oscar with 8 rebounds and led the team in assists with 5, on 2 turnovers. His block was sweet as well. Without his 36 minutes we lose. Got called for 2 really bad fouls, well actually not fouls. Was easily the best we had to offer.

Chris Livingston C Tough grade here. Only played 7 minutes, which is one less than Onyenso! I thought he played hard and tough. This was an ideal game for him yet his opportunity was limited which is even more discouraging considering Cal comments following last game. He had a better +/- than any starter (+6) which is a take if for what its worth thing. Only 1 rebound and 2 points.

CJ Fredrick C Manage to sink a trey with some kind help from a friendly rim. All three of his shots were treys. Played 15 minutes and got an assist to go with the 3 points.

Lance Ware I/C I would have loved to see him sub in for Oscar rather than Onyenso. Let Lance beat on the BUMF (big ugly ....... ......) for a good 5-10 minutes. He wouldn't have needed to score, just physically work over Dickenson. Instead he played 2 minutes and provided zero stats.

Antonio Reeves B- As a team we need to get him, CJ and Wallace open looks. We don't. That does not just fall on the player. In 26 minutes he hit 3 of his 4 treys and 2 pointer for 11 points. His assist to turnovers was "upside down" with more TO (3) than assists (2) but he did grab 4 rebounds.

Adou Thiero DNP

Ugonna Onyenso C+ Physically over matched in this one. A boy vs a man. Had to be 50#wt difference there, and 3 years of experience. To his credit he held his own. In 8 minutes he grabbed 2 rebounds and 4 pts on a basket and 2 FT, and his FT% led the team. Of course his bread and butter is the blocks. He provided 2.

Daimion Collins C The good? 5 rebounds in 13 minutes. The bad? Everything else. 0-2 shooting from the field. 1-2 from the line. Still looks uncomfortable out there.

Oscar Tshiebwe C+ Tough grade for a player with a double double. His 13 pts and 14 rebounds are typical Oscar numbers. However weaknesses exposed were defense where he has zero idea how to deal with a pick and roll, as well as being the ultimate black hole center. Too often the perimeter shooters like CJ, Antonio and Cason were open with the ball in the lane in Oscars hands. There was never a consideration for it coming back out for open shot.

Sahvir Wheeler C- A pg has to make free throws, he doesn't. He was 2-6 with 2 of those being front ends. He also needs to set the tempo, which one would expect with his speed and quickness you would expect a fast pace. Instead we repeatedly see shots going up with 3-7 seconds on the shot clock. Props for the 7 assists but I can't get over the late game breakdowns. Led the team in minutes with 37.

Coaching C For all the times Cal talks about tempo, maybe he should stop with putting on the breaks. Didn't really have a game plan for when Oscar was out and what to do with a mediocre big man. We had zero idea on how to attack a zone defense....other than have Savhir dribble for 10 seconds, pass, get it back then dribble 10 seconds, then force up a shot while driving the lane. That isn't an game plan or an effective offense.

Officials D Hope these are the worse of the year, but I doubt it. They were DJ Carstensen, Joe Lindsey and Courtney Green. Of course we are familiar with Joe Lindsey who usually does a credible job. Today there were some bad calls. 2 fouls on Wallace were jokes. The first on the trey where the shooter stuck out his leg, and then the noncontact injury before the noncontact foul. Oscar got called for 2 bad one including the BUMF flop. However we also benefited from some real cheapies, and I'm not including the Toppin out of bounds as he was pushed.

Commentators B Guess they don't have good soft serve in England. IMO it was better than most Bilas game as he didn't go on some rant about officials.

Other Disappointed in the attendance of 8242 but it was late Sunday night in England, and going up against the home country's World Cup game. Stat wise, we shot 46.6 overall but a staggering 60% from long range. Our 3 pt shooting surpassed out free throw shooting where we only hit 50%. Contrasted to MI who we held to 39% overall and 40% from long range. We won the glass battle by 1 (34-33), assist by 5 (17 to 12) and points (all that matters). They beat us with steals (4-3) and blocks (5-3). Our bench did not come thru as they only provided 10 points overall. MI took 6 more shots than us but our better percentage game us 2 more baskets than them.
    Comments 39 Comments
      bigsky -
      Feed the hot hand.
      catmanjack -
      But it’s clear Cal is going to play Wheeler a lot of minutes along with Wallace.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I assume from the bartender.
      Hey per kingcat Collins was hammered under the basket so how bout you lay off doc for getting hammered during commentary!
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      Wheeler has to be limited to no more than 15-20 mpg or we will never be as good as we should be.

He’s completely unreliable and an absolute disaster in end of game situations. The two missed FT’s in OT against St. Peter’s were clearly the rule not the exception.
      Never has one player’s statistics been so overrated as Wheelers.. honestly if some of you can’t see it, I feel for you.. he doesn’t make winning plays
      Padukacat -
      I think the scorecard is pretty much on point if you consider expectations. Some things are becoming obvious after seeing enough games against decent competition.

1. Wheeler is gonna wheeler win or lose, but cal has no better options to impact games so it would be better to let him run rampant and impact games vs try and tame the wild animal to run the offense that we don’t really have.

2. Cj can’t get off shots against higher level competition. We all have a level you see, and Cj needs help that cal can’t provide on the offensive end. Give up on him and play others in his place.

3. Wallace is the only nba player on the roster, let the team and him know that he now is the leader and welcome to take 20 shots per game and do whatever he would like. End of games he has the ball.

4. Our best offensive players not named Wallace suck at defense, and that is the major issue with this team. Oscar in the pick and roll is a disaster. Cj, toppin, reeves, and wheeler are not good defenders. Our post players literally sided their big to the baseline every time…which is fine other than he is left handed and his best move is on that side dummies! That was a mess.

5. Cal has totally f’d up livingston in the head. There’s always one guy that gets mental and it’s livingston, the guy that looked like our 4th best player in the Bahamas.

6. We aren’t a final four team, probably not a sweet 16 team. Let’s admit that now and realize we have to sacrifice our individual games and become that team that plays desperate on the defensive end and fearless on the offensive end. If this team thinks too much they’re gonna be toast.
      JPScott -
      Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
      Listening on the radio I expected a better grade for Ugonna.
      Pretty sure he had at least three blocks but only credited with two. Dickinson scored a few baskets on him but it wasn’t easy.

Also FWIW Onyenso actually could be a much more effective defender if he learns to raise his left arm more. As it is he overcompensates by trying to block with his right all the time.
      catmanjack -
      Perfect post.
      Thought the same about the only NBA player being Wallace and questioned if that’s why these players take such bad shots and make such non winning plays at key times.
      This is not a team that Cal can win with.
      CJ is at the wrong school and will not show well against high level teams.
      Wheeler is another player that when the game is critical will struggle to make the right play.

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      I think the scorecard is pretty much on point if you consider expectations. Some things are becoming obvious after seeing enough games against decent competition.

1. Wheeler is gonna wheeler win or lose, but cal has no better options to impact games so it would be better to let him run rampant and impact games vs try and tame the wild animal to run the offense that we don’t really have.

2. Cj can’t get off shots against higher level competition. We all have a level you see, and Cj needs help that cal can’t provide on the offensive end. Give up on him and play others in his place.

3. Wallace is the only nba player on the roster, let the team and him know that he now is the leader and welcome to take 20 shots per game and do whatever he would like. End of games he has the ball.

4. Our best offensive players not named Wallace suck at defense, and that is the major issue with this team. Oscar in the pick and roll is a disaster. Cj, toppin, reeves, and wheeler are not good defenders. Our post players literally sided their big to the baseline every time…which is fine other than he is left handed and his best move is on that side dummies! That was a mess.

5. Cal has totally f’d up livingston in the head. There’s always one guy that gets mental and it’s livingston, the guy that looked like our 4th best player in the Bahamas.

6. We aren’t a final four team, probably not a sweet 16 team. Let’s admit that now and realize we have to sacrifice our individual games and become that team that plays desperate on the defensive end and fearless on the offensive end. If this team thinks too much they’re gonna be toast.
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      But it’s clear Cal is going to play Wheeler a lot of minutes along with Wallace.
      And there's nothing wrong with that. People have been clammering for Frederick and Reeves to play together but Frederick looks lost right now and Wallace doesn't. Let's play Wheeler, Reeves, and Wallace and hope we can work CJ back into that rotation.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by JPScott View Post
      Pretty sure he had at least three blocks but only credited with two. Dickinson scored a few baskets on him but it wasn’t easy.

Also FWIW Onyenso actually could be a much more effective defender if he learns to raise his left arm more. As it is he overcompensates by trying to block with his right all the time.
      He had three as was pointed out by Bilas. He played fairly well I thought.
      One block was a tip and not a resoundingly obvious block.
      Terminus -

I thought the same as well, but did think he did a nice job with positioning against Dickinson. He just didn't have the heft to hold it against the bigger, more mature player.

I saw this tweet from Kyle Tucker this morning on him and was very surprised/impressed by the numbers.

Kyle Tucker
      @KyleTucker_ATH
      ·
      18h
      I'm so impressed by Ugonna Onyenso, who should still be in high school and wasn't expected to give Kentucky anything significant this season.

He has 32 points, 30 rebounds, 15 blocks in 79 minutes. Or basically 16, 15 and 7.5 per-40 averages.
      JPScott -

Back in 2020 CJ somehow managed to score 21 points against a ranked Michigan team while he was playing for Iowa. Yet now he can't get shots against 'higher level competition', which in this case is a unranked Michigan team. Really?

This unfortunately seems to be true. Seems every year Cal gets promising wings or forwards who were thought to be significant contributors before the season who end up struggling, or at least underperforming.

2022-23 Chris Livingston (Daimion Collins)
      2021-22 Bryce Hopkins
      2020-21 Cam'ron Fletcher (Terrence Clarke)
      2019-20 Kahlil Whitney
      2018-19 E.J. Montgomery
      2017-18 Sacha Killeya-Jones
      2016-17 Wenyen Gabriel

Some of these guys were just young and inexperienced, some were immature and headcases, some had other issues like injuries etc. so not sure how much blame can be laid on Calipari, but it does seem like a yearly thing now.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Never has one player’s statistics been so overrated as Wheelers.. honestly if some of you can’t see it, I feel for you.. he doesn’t make winning plays
      I'm not going to disagree with the sentiment, but the wording. Wheeler is good at, as Clark Kellogg likes to say, spurtability basketball. He's instrumental in building a lead. He can even be a key player in a comeback. However, he's a poor leader to hold, or extend leads. He's a terrible clutch player. I held out optimism that these are things that can be improved. So far, the returns are negative, and it's completely legitimate to conclude that is never going to change. Obviously, other teams know this as well, which is why UK finds itself with Wheeler having to perform in such situations. Cal's not an idiot, he can see it too. So why does he continue to do this? Is it that he doesn't want to rip out a kid's heart? Or, does he realize he doesn't have a better option (but, doesn't he?)?

When the final roster was in place and we were having the discussion about what else do we need, and why many were focused on another shooter, a few of us wanted another PG, and what we have seen to date is exactly why that was said. I'll never understand why you don't have extra PG's, true ones, on the roster for depth. We shouldn't care if that role turns over year over year either, just have one instead of asking guys on the roster to play out of position.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -

This unfortunately seems to be true. Seems every year Cal gets promising wings or forwards who were thought to be significant contributors before the season who end up struggling, or at least underperforming.

2022-23 Chris Livingston (Daimion Collins)
      2021-22 Bryce Hopkins
      2020-21 Cam'ron Fletcher (Terrence Clarke)
      2019-20 Kahlil Whitney
      2018-19 E.J. Montgomery
      2017-18 Sacha Killeya-Jones
      2016-17 Wenyen Gabriel

Some of these guys were just young and inexperienced, some were immature and headcases, some had other issues like injuries etc. so not sure how much blame can be laid on Calipari, but it does seem like a yearly thing now.
      I think it's always been a challenge for Cal for these guys, and any other freshman, is battling that line between how does a player envision himself playing professionally and how does the staff see them in a role for the team's best success. It's also not unique to Cal, either.

I don't think the answer is to stop recruiting players that have professional aspirations and talent. However, there seems to be little to indicate that every player that comes through UK, especially the guys that need to play a different position in college than what they envision, wants to put team needs first, even at the sacrifice of their personal development. While Cal has a tremendous amount of experience coaching guys with this mindset, the way to reach them and keep them focused is unique to each individual. Cal always has to find a new way to pull a string to keep a player bought in. If you happen to have multiple guys on the team, fighting that fight impacts the ability to improve as a team.

I think Livingston is different from the other guys on the list, or at least I hope. I think this because I see effort from him in his minutes, even if it's not producing results. That's a better problem to have. It's when these guys more or less go "rogue" is when it's problematic. I think Livingston just needs more time and will eventually play to where he's best suited for this team and results will follow. Being coachable is a trait that NBA scouts and teams love. Unlike what we've been told, the good NBA teams are able to evaluate talent from teams that play people in positions in college that they will not play in the NBA, and a big part of that is how coachable they make themselves to be.
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      And there's nothing wrong with that. People have been clammering for Frederick and Reeves to play together but Frederick looks lost right now and Wallace doesn't. Let's play Wheeler, Reeves, and Wallace and hope we can work CJ back into that rotation.
      I don't know if "people" have but I have and still do.

But a couple in this thread are missing what the entire point of Paduka's post was.

CJ CAN score against quality opponents. Just not with Cal as his coach running a putrid offense.

This is a case of Cal taking the parts and trying to fit HIS system vs using the team he has and doing what works best for them. This is the exact type of team many of us (me) have wanted. Unfortunately, we (I) assumed Cal would coach them differently. I was wrong.

I am just sorry, but you give Bill Self this roster and they are the #1 ranked team in the country right now.
      ukpumacat -

I agree. I think Wheeler's positives outweigh his very obvious negatives.

Cal absolutely is just blowing this one. I am not sure how he continues to recruit these types of shooters when year after year they struggle in our system.
      Kyle did. Booker did. Juzang did. Allen did. And now CJ is. We 100% need shooters...but Cal simply struggles with them if they are poor defenders who cannot also create their own shot.

It isn't a surprise to me that he is the one playing the best in this system.

I've been saying for two years how poorly Oscar defends. His numbers are sneaky misleading imo. Cal HAS to learn how to hide defenders so he can have the best scorers on the court.

Been saying this for a while and had people tell me Livingston was fine. You know how I know he's not? Because I have eyes and watch basketball every single day. That dude is a shell of himself and has been for weeks. You always know who is struggling with their confidence by the way Cal tries to build them up in the media. This year it's Livingston. Last year it was Hopkins. It was Cam'ron before that. And Keion before that. etc etc.

I think the parts are there for this to be an excellent team. But I think Cal refuses to coach them differently.
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      I'm not going to disagree with the sentiment, but the wording. Wheeler is good at, as Clark Kellogg likes to say, spurtability basketball. He's instrumental in building a lead. He can even be a key player in a comeback. However, he's a poor leader to hold, or extend leads. He's a terrible clutch player. I held out optimism that these are things that can be improved. So far, the returns are negative, and it's completely legitimate to conclude that is never going to change. Obviously, other teams know this as well, which is why UK finds itself with Wheeler having to perform in such situations. Cal's not an idiot, he can see it too. So why does he continue to do this? Is it that he doesn't want to rip out a kid's heart? Or, does he realize he doesn't have a better option (but, doesn't he?)?

When the final roster was in place and we were having the discussion about what else do we need, and why many were focused on another shooter, a few of us wanted another PG, and what we have seen to date is exactly why that was said. I'll never understand why you don't have extra PG's, true ones, on the roster for depth. We shouldn't care if that role turns over year over year either, just have one instead of asking guys on the roster to play out of position.
      Couldn’t have said it better myself. Having a player like wheeler off the bench to give you a spark is great. Having him run your team, its THE main reason why I don’t get excited about this team. His stat lines are so misleading. His spurts are great and they are also really really hurtful. It was during the KU game last year where I thought Cal had finally learned his lesson with Wheeler. We were up big, then wheeler went on one of his 3-4 possession craziness and KU cut it to 12-14 and you could feel that gym going nuts again. He took Wheeler out and we extended the lead back to 20.

Cal needs to do what he used to do in his early days. Play Wallace more than he maybe should at PG so by Mid February he is our main PG.. He just won’t take the ball out of Wheeler’s hands and it will cost us in March.
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post

Cal needs to do what he used to do in his early days. Play Wallace more than he maybe should at PG so by Mid February he is our main PG.. He just won’t take the ball out of Wheeler’s hands and it will cost us in March.
      I am not saying ONLY this line-up....but the one I've wanted to see all season is:

Wallace
      CJ
      Reeves
      Livingston
      Onyenso (or Collins or Ware)

We have not see that group play together for one minute this season. And that is criminal to me. I think it would be a fantastic group. Onyenso could erase a lot of the mistakes that CJ and Reeves might leave on defense. But offensively, that group would be fantastic.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      I am not saying ONLY this line-up....but the one I've wanted to see all season is:

Wallace
      CJ
      Reeves
      Livingston
      Onyenso (or Collins or Ware)

We have not see that group play together for one minute this season. And that is criminal to me. I think it would be a fantastic group. Onyenso could erase a lot of the mistakes that CJ and Reeves might leave on defense. But offensively, that group would be fantastic.
      It would have to be great offensively, because defensively, it's a mess. Especially against a team with multiple shooters on the floor. I would question whether this lineup would score more than it gives up. It definitely has offensive explosive upside, but even for a spell of a few minutes, if the shooters are cold, it could be pretty bad too.

Worth a look, though. Even if it provides some film to show guys their defensive mistakes. I'd think we'd see it if Livingston can successfully transition to the 4.
      Jeeepcat -
      I caught up on 6 hours of sports radio in the truck today - and all the callers were saying the same thing. Cal doesn't run any offense and he can't win with teams that require "team" basketball to win.

Maybe Cal will wake up. If he doesn't, he's wasting everyone's time. There is too much parody in college now to just out talent your way to a title.
  • KSR Twitter Feed