Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Report card--NFL

By: Ronald "Doc" Ball

Antonio Reeves one of two Kentucky players with 20 points vs North Florida

General Impressions Hard to get overly hyped or excited in this one. The talent level difference was dramatic. However there were some definite areas of improvement. This was likely the closest thing to the dribble drive that we have seen in quite some time. It appears the kick out was a point of emphasis, not to my surprise. Every player seemed to be looking to kick the ball out. Much less of a black hole offense that has sort of plagued us recently.

Jacob Toppin A- Congrats on the double double. Co leader on points with 20, to go with 10 rebounds in 21 minutes. Nice production by him. Did make one of his three trey attempts but only 1 assist and 1 turnover. Saw some more aggressive plays, something we need. This was touched on during the game (I think...I have gotten so I tune the commentators out more and more) but I don't hold to the old adage of bad two pointers, ie 2 point shots taken just inside the arch. To me a bad shot is one you don't routinely make. For Toppin, that jumper inside the arc is a great shot for him regardless of the analytics. Heck, one of the greatest NBA players of all time, Tim Duncan, made a career out of that shot. So can Jacob.

Cason Wallace B+ A solid performance put in. His 6 assists led the team. He also adds another shooter, and a reliable one. His 8 points included 2 treys of 6 attempts and a steal. He probably needs to contribute more than one rebound though. Still, it was a solid game.

Chris Livingston B Still trying to find exactly where he fits. Only officially had 2 shots in his 16 minutes so he needs to look to get it to the rim more in my opinion. Made a living at the free throw line with 7 of 7. Add the 1 basket in 2 attempt gets him 9 points. If he brings that nightly, we are fine. Is likely less than he expects but its more than adequate.

CJ Fredrick C A forgettable game for him. Not a bad game per se, just not what expected. Only took 2 shots in 10 minutes, hitting one but missing his only trey attempt. On the positive, had 2 assists which I see as a good thing. No rebounds, steals or turnovers. In essence, a quiet effort. Not bad, just quiet.

Lance Ware DNP I guess he was under the weather which is good as it gave Onyenso some time, some needed time.

Antonio Reeves A- Perhaps he needs to be in the starting lineup. Was more the Reeves we saw in the Bahamas. Led the team with 20 pts, minutes played (nearly 29), treys made (4) and treys attempted (8). If he can manage to hit 50% from long range a night, that is impressive. It wasn't he was more active but he was more confident. Was it being in the starting lineup? He certainly showed more movement but most importantly he showed the decision to take quality looks and a willingness to pass up contested looks. Box score only has 1 assist with 2 turnovers, which is a surprise to me as I would have guessed he had more assists. But the pleasant surprise was 6 rebounds.

Adou Thiero B Yes, a generous grade but a grade based largely on doing what he was asked and not doing what he wasn't asked. 12 solid minutes, 2 trey attempt of which he hit 1, to go with 2-2 free throws. For those with skills matching my typing prowess, that is 5 points. Did grab a rebound and blocked 2 shots. Again, give us that when called on and I call it a success.

Ugonna Onyenso B Grade boosted by the double digit rebounds of 10 to go with a team leading 3 blocks. Finished with 7 points on 3-7 shooting in 19 minutes. That is solid production, no denying.

Daimion Collins B- In just over 16 minutes he managed 4 pts and 5 rebounds. Damion needs to realize he is a good player, and play like it. He needs to amp up the energy, he needs to make the hustle plays. Right now that isn't happening. His 2 blocks was great, his 4 fouls wasn't. Still, he had quality minutes and during that time he was productive.

Oscar Tshiebwe B+ Saw a player much more willing to pass the ball, something I really have not taken into account. Tonight it wasn't "Black hole" Oscar. His 5 assists supports that. Yet another double double with 16 pts and 15 rebounds. Impressive was the 8-11 shooting. He failed to get to the stripe in 22 plus minutes. I like that playing time vs NFL. Not too much, not too little. Oh, and he had a couple blocks

Sahvir Wheeler B A fairly quiet game. Had 5 assists, 1 turnover to go with 5 points. His one trey, which he hit, was an open look so no beef with that. Played 22 minutes plus. Another player who got a rest game, a needed one.

Coaching B+ Definitely saw improvement with some things that looked like an offensive scheme. As noted above, there were some spots of the perimeter drive then dishes, even sometimes we drove 2 or 3 times in the same set, where the ball was kicked out and reset. Now do it against a good team and you get an A. Also props to Chin..and I was going to mention before the broadcast dolts did.... on the shades. I had a similar pair back in the 1980's. Last time I wore them was to the Vogue theater for the 3-D version of "Creature of the Black Lagoon". Reginald Dwight would be proud to add those to his collection!

Officials A Just so I can say I gave an "A" grade to one crew this year. Makes criticism more valid later in the year......so I seem unbias.

Commentators B Listened to much of the first half on the radio as I was driving home. Lets just say the UK network crew is far better. On the TV side, I only noted one reference to ice cream

Other Vs a far inferior opponent, the stats were as expected. Most telling in the positive was the assist. UK had 23 (to 7 turnovers) on 35 made baskets. That is sharing the ball, looking for the open man. We made nearly 38% of our treys, although the first half it was 47%. 3 players had double digit rebounds. All but 2 regular players (Onyenso and Thiero) had at least 1 assist. Also worthy of note is 9 blocks. All great numbers that we need to have against teams like Michigan
    Comments 5 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Many years from now they will have a trivia question – who earned the top grade in the Kentucky versus North Florida basketball game on November 23, 2022, the day before Thanksgiving?

Many will look at the box score, and try to take a guess – must be Oscar Tshiebwe, they'll say. No, probably Jacob Toppin. Or, perhaps Cason Wallace and his overall game?

Nope, none of the above.

Maybe, just maybe, for the first time and perhaps the last time – the top grade was earned by… The officials.

As always, Doc, great job with this.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      Thanks Doc! I enjoy your reports, I didn't get to watch the game, so it gave me a good understanding of how each player performed.
      Same for me Doc. Saw the last ten minutes only.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Many years from now they will have a trivia question – who earned the top grade in the Kentucky versus North Florida basketball game on November 23, 2022, the day before Thanksgiving?

Many will look at the box score, and try to take a guess – must be Oscar Tshiebwe, they'll say. No, probably Jacob Toppin. Or, perhaps Cason Wallace and his overall game?

Nope, none of the above.

Maybe, just maybe, for the first time and perhaps the last time – the top grade was earned by… The officials.

As always, Doc, great job with this.
      LOL...is a first time for everything
      Doc -
      PS...I noted this at the end of the game thread, I did this before reading the game thread. I got home from work at half time, and started watching the game from the beginning then so was 45 min behind. Did the grades immediately after. Was nice to read the thread and see the agreements that appeared in real time
      KentuckyWildcat -
      About to watch the game now. I always enjoy being able to read them (football as well) before I watch. Which is 99% of the time these days.
  • KSR Twitter Feed