Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Report Card: Kentucky v. South Carolina State

By: Ronald "Doc" Ball

General Impressions Nice "rest" game, one that allowed starters some rest and an opportunity to get some bench players quality time. Kudos to Cal for that. State a better team than their 0-4 record, or as shown by the final score, but still not a Michigan State or Gonzaga. However its games like this that help prepare. UK looked much more comfortable than they did on Tues, mostly shown in the long range shooting. Players let the game come to them for most part. Still some issue coming to light. I am still not seeing a lot of screening for the shooters, so its mostly the creating their own looks. I am also not as excited as many about the passing ability. We do have assist guys but overall, I don't see this as a great passing team. We have great individual passers but as a team, not so much.

Jacob Toppin B- Waffled between a C+ and the B-. but went with the higher grade. 8 pts and 9 rebounds in 20 minutes. 2 assists, no turnovers, a block and a steal makes a nice line. He hit half of his 8 shots, none of them treys (0-2) but a nice dunk that was sweet as ice cream. Like most of his teammates, tonight he didn't push it. although a bit more aggression would have upped his grade. But he does have the honor of getting the first UK technical, beating out John Calipari who was the odds on favorite.

Cason Wallace B In 24 minutes, he garnered 12 points by hitting all his 2 pointers (5) and half of his treys (2-4). Him hitting those treys really is important because it allows for more and better spacing. Had 3 assists and 2 turnovers so he got dinged a little gradewise. Only 3 rebounds and a steal. I'm not a fan of him and Wheeler on the floor at the same time due to the minutes aspect but tonight it worked well.

Chris Livingston B Looking a little like the odd man out. Hope that changes a bit. 13 pts in 17 mintues on 4-6 shooting, including a trey. Also sank all 4 free throws. I would like to see him play a bit more of the 2 spot at times, but he will get you tough rebounds.

CJ Fredrick A- Good to see the eye back, where he was cool as ice cream. I think the MSU game got him jittery. A game high 17 points on 5-11 shooting, 3-7 from long range. Tack on 3 assists to 1 turnover. Still have some defensive concerns with him, as were seen vs MSU. But he is as big a key to the success of this team as anybody without the initials OT.

Lance Ware A- Had him at a B+ but then saw 12 pts on 6-6 shooting, 2 blocks, 3 rebounds and an assist in 14 minutes. It was a real good game for him. Like everybody else, he didn't push it. Just solid play.

Antonio Reeves C+ He needs to get into the team mentality pretty damn soon. Did better than last game where he melted like warm ice cream, managed 11 points on 3-9 shooting, 3-7 from long range in 20 minutes. Needs to look to his teammates more, and quit being a bit of a ball hog. Not sure how he got 3 assists though. Maybe its me who is too focused??? No turnovers

Adou Thiero C A couple bad drive decisions but that is why he needs playing time in actual games. One of three players with more TO than assists (along with Damion and Onyenso) which for a guard is taboo in my book. Like to see him work on the stop and pop rather then drive every time. His 9 minutes of playing time was just where it needs to be, and he was productive in that time.

Ugonna Onyenso B- 6 pts on 3-4 shooting, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks... all in 12 minutes. Still has a ways to go to look comfortable but I like him as a 3rd line center. Has zero pressure on him,

Daimion Collins B+ Is no player I am pulling harder for. Him coming back shows maturity and desire, then add that family situation, I give him tons of credit. Loved the two handed block, was like a double dip ice cream in a sugar cone. 6 pts, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 18 minutes. Led the team in turnover with 3.

Oscar Tshiebwe B+ Not that it was a sub par game for Oscar, but I think its a fair grade. Only got 14 minutes on the floor, 6 pts and 7 rebounds but missed both of his free throws. Was nice to have a game we didn't need a great performance. I think Oscar is happy about that too!

Sahvir Wheeler A- Led the team with 25 minutes of play. IMO that is perfect! Didn't score in the first half but finished with 6 due in a big part on his FT shooting (4-4). 10 assists with zero turnovers is more than you would expect from any PG. Kudo's to him. His play was smooth as ice cream.

Coaching A- Excellent rotation and minutes distribution. Didn't play the you make a mistake and I pull you BS. Only negative was still need to develop some offensive screens.

Officials C These guys gave me an ice cream headache! For future reference it was Doug Shows, Vladimir Voyard-Tadal, Erroll Lewis. I didn't mind the not calling the flop of the elbow to the shoulder, but the T was ridiculous. So now "patting your head" is technical foul worthy???

Commentators C- Can't stand watching Dane during the pregame. He waves his arms around like he is working an airport runway. Its distracting as hell. Nobody gesticulates like that when they talk. Also, it would be a neat thing to try, let me just spitball this out there as suggestion... but how about taking something so irrelevant and unrelated to basketball and just keep talking about it time and time again.

Other Shooting much better as we hit 57% to their 35%. Of course the opponents defense has a lot to do with that. Three point shooting good as well with 42% and 5 different players making at least one. Rebounds favored the cats by +20, and our FT shooting coming around at 78%. Blocks, steals and assist all favored UK (2-9, 5-9 and 8-25 respectively).
    Comments 22 Comments
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Most all of Wares numbers can be counted in the last five minutes of the game after SCS’s chances had melted away and as we were shooting for 100. He had three dunks as I recall after our opponents hopes and will to defend disappeared. Two off tremendous assists by Wheeler.

At other parts of the game he was not so effective and gave way to ‘Onion who was honestly the more valuable reserve with more meaningful minutes. Those late stats still count though, vanilla as they were.

Great report card and a fun game.
      Ware's last basket came with 4:43 left in the game. He came out with 4:16 left in the game and did not return. In other word, in the last 5 minutes of the game, he played 44 seconds
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Ware's last basket came with 4:43 left in the game. He came out with 4:16 left in the game and did not return. In other word, in the last 5 minutes of the game, he played 44 seconds
      Yeah, I forgot the last four minutes we played the walk ons. But my point stands, the opponent had completely quit playing defense and it was a dunk-a-thon when ware took over the game.
      He and Thiero were having their time in the sun.
      As opposed to Ware’s effort earlier in the game. When it was a game of sorts, Cal pulled Ware in favor of ‘Onion who logged that share of a back ups minutes.

But all in all I am not sure we can take anything away from this game as far as individual effort or play.
      Doc -
      UK had a 19 pt at half time, moved it to 20 early in the second half and SCSt never got it back below 20. Basically they were out of it at half time. So do all second half stats lack relevance?

I would disagree with Cal pulling Lance in favor of Onyenso. No, he tried to do what he should always do this time of year which is get ALL the players time. Your suggestion Lance out in favor of Ugonna would then suggest Cal pulled Livingston in favor of Adou since Thiero came in when Chris came out. No, Cal wanted to get minutes to both Lance (14 min) and Onyenso (12 min) and was not an "in favor of" situation
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      I think we just need to be honest, Ware is Oscar's primary backup and he's earned it Right now, we're so enamored with what Onyenso can be and what he will eventually be, but if he's behind Ware, there's a good reason.

I do think having Oscar, Ware, and Onyenso going up against Timme will be frustrating for him. He's never faced a 1-2-3 tandem like that where each guy is unique. Obviously, most will focus on Oscar vs. Timme, but I'm looking forward to what all 3 guys can do.

I can't wait for Sunday night!!
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I didn't get to watch the game, but it sounds like everyone played pretty well. Either that or Doc was too full of "ice cream" to prepare a good report.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      I didn't get to watch the game, but it sounds like everyone played pretty well. Either that or Doc was too full of "ice cream" to prepare a good report.
      It was a good game to watch. Unlike many of these games, where Kentucky will play down to the competition or have a lot of sloppy habits, I thought that we did what we do. While we obviously will not be as successful when we play better teams, reinforcing what we do successfully should prove beneficial in the games to come. It was entertaining, fun to watch Kentucky play reasonably well, although still waiting for some of the players we are counting on to reach their potential. Or at least, what we hope is their potential.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      I think we just need to be honest, Ware is Oscar's primary backup and he's earned it Right now, we're so enamored with what Onyenso can be and what he will eventually be, but if he's behind Ware, there's a good reason.

I do think having Oscar, Ware, and Onyenso going up against Timme will be frustrating for him. He's never faced a 1-2-3 tandem like that where each guy is unique. Obviously, most will focus on Oscar vs. Timme, but I'm looking forward to what all 3 guys can do.

Absolutely. Onyenso will have good flashes. Enjoy them. Good gosh, he is just a HS senior. Lance isn't going to have those flashes but he will give you pretty consistent play

Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      full of something, just not ice cream
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      It was a good game to watch. Unlike many of these games, where Kentucky will play down to the competition or have a lot of sloppy habits, I thought that we did what we do. While we obviously will not be as successful when we play better teams, reinforcing what we do successfully should prove beneficial in the games to come. It was entertaining, fun to watch Kentucky play reasonably well, although still waiting for some of the players we are counting on to reach their potential. Or at least, what we hope is their potential.
      I think the rotation had a lot to do with that. The bench knew they were going to get playing time and needed to produce. The starters probably knew they were not going to get 30-35 minutes, and fatigue did not play a factor.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Thanks, Doc, great as always.

Except for the ice cream. Not sure I can forgive you for that.
      I will say that the interview with "ice cream girl" was very awkward and sort of creepy. She looked like a deer in the head light, and didn't say a word. I sort of felt sorry for her.
      JPScott -

This reminds me of the 2005 NCAA game versus Utah where Kentucky had to face 1st team All-American center Andrew Bogut. Randolph Morris, UK starting center, picked up two fouls in the first minute 30 seconds and sat the remainder of the 1st half. He ended up playing a total of 5 minutes and only scored 2 points in the game.

Luckily, Tubby had two 7-footers in Lukasz Obrzut and Shagari Alleyne in his back pocket, and while they had their hands full, they were able to tag-team and bother Bogut enough to frustrate and tire him to the point that Utah never really threatened to win the game.

UK-Utah NCAA Boxscore and Game Story

Having quality depth is a luxury, especially in situations like this.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JPScott View Post
      This reminds me of the 2005 NCAA game versus Utah where Kentucky had to face 1st team All-American center Andrew Bogut. Randolph Morris, UK starting center, picked up two fouls in the first minute 30 seconds and sat the remainder of the 1st half. He ended up playing a total of 5 minutes and only scored 2 points in the game.

Luckily, Tubby had two 7-footers in Lukasz Obrzut and Shagari Alleyne in his back pocket, and while they had their hands full, they were able to tag-team and bother Bogut enough to frustrate and tire him to the point that Utah never really threatened to win the game.

UK-Utah NCAA Boxscore and Game Story

Having quality depth is a luxury, especially in situations like this.
      What a memory! Thanks for posting that. I totally remember that game.

When you look at the box score, you see Bogut ended up with 20/12, which is what I expect from Timme, more or less, but then you look at his FT's in that game, 4-11. That's where working hard and frustration sets in. Then you just limit everyone else, and an easy victory.

I'm all for Timme having a good game (or bad one too), but make him work his butt off to get it done.
      Doc -
      What a memory! Thanks for posting that. I totally remember that game.

When you look at the box score, you see Bogut ended up with 20/12, which is what I expect from Timme, more or less, but then you look at his FT's in that game, 4-11. That's where working hard and frustration sets in. Then you just limit everyone else, and an easy victory.

I'm all for Timme having a good game (or bad one too), but make him work his butt off to get it done.
      I was at the UK Navh game where David Robinson went for 45 points. UK basically said let him get his but don't let anybody else score. Final 69-80 Cats.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      I was at the UK Navh game where David Robinson went for 45 points. UK basically said let him get his but don't let anybody else score. Final 69-80 Cats.
      Definitely remember that game too. That's like the textbook game on letting the star get his and shutting down everyone else. That game also served as a final escalation of David Robinson to a household name and the inevitable #1 pick, as if there were any doubts. I also remember my parents telling me that approach was very much Pistol Pete like too, let him get his because he's going to do it anyway.

An interesting recap from the Washington Post on the Navy game.

Another takeaway from that game that we need to look at as a recipe for winning vs the Zags:
      The difference in the game was the guard play. Three from Kentucky -- Chapman, Ed Davender and James Blackmon -- combined for 48 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and seven steals.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      From what I could tell Cal has told Reeves to do something with the ball pretty much every time he touches it. Like he's the designated scorer on that second unit. Shoot or drive, but make something happen. Reeves actually had a few more passes that could have been assists as well. I do fear that Cal is doing the Dontae Allen 'you catch it and shoot it or you're sitting beside me' thing with Reeves because of his defensive lapses.
      kingcat -
      I didn’t aim to step on any toes with what I said about Ware. One can watch the replay and make up their own mind.

And I sure don’t mean to dis anyones gameproduction. Not even Canada who nailed a huge three for us at the end.
      Powermaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I didn’t aim to step on any toes with what I said about Ware. One can watch the replay and make up their own mind.

And I sure don’t mean to dis anyones gameproduction. Not even Canada who nailed a huge three for us at the end.
      That 3 made a lot of people happy and a lot of people sad . Wasn’t the line 41 ?
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
      That 3 made a lot of people happy and a lot of people sad . Wasn’t the line 41 ?
      Someone mentioned that I think.
      kingcat -
      I still believe Ware played poorly at the start and until the latter part of the second half. That’s what I saw.
      Jeeepcat -
      I will say that the interview with "ice cream girl" was very awkward and sort of creepy. She looked like a deer in the head light, and didn't say a word. I sort of felt sorry for her.
      I agree, but near the end of the segment it was apparent that she couldn't hear them.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Absolutely. Onyenso will have good flashes. Enjoy them. Good gosh, he is just a HS senior. Lance isn't going to have those flashes but he will give you pretty consistent play

full of something, just not ice cream
      I fear that you're not the only one on this board that suffers from that Doc. Present company included.
  • KSR Twitter Feed