Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Report card for Howard

By: Ronald "Doc" Ball

photo: Jeff McKinley

General Impressions My initial impression at the start of the game was one of great concern as we missed several treys bad. Was this team's shooting over hyped? But once that first one fell, all was forgotten. Other impression are this team has the potential to be one hell of a defensive team. Between the length, the physical stature and the quickness at all positions, it will give opponents fits. Additionally I am greatly looking forward to Oscars return as I can just see him gobbling up offensive rebounds then kicking it out to CJ and Antonio.

Jacob Toppin B+ 15 pts on 5-12 shooting, including 1-2 from long range, to go with 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks and zero turnovers. His versatility is clear, his effort was there tonight. Major step up from last years where he was averaging 6 pts and 3 assists. Don't see him averaging a double double but do expect many of them this year.

Cason Wallace A- Speaking of double doubles, he fell one assist short in his debut. The 9 assists with only 2 turnovers, and 15 points is outstanding. Managed to hit 7 of his 11 shots including 1 of his 2 trey attempts. But for me, his biggest upside is defensively. UK has had many really good defensive PG like Hagans and Fox, but Cason physical size puts him above both. His strength, quickness and length make him a whole nother beast on that side of the ball.

Chris Livingston B- I'd like to see a little more selfishness from him. Only took 6 shots, hitting 4, with 1 of 2 being treys. One of two players with more turnovers (1) than assists (0). But he played physical and hard. 4 rebounds was adequate but I'd like to see more than a 9 pt, 4 rebound effort when we are this short handed.

CJ Fredrick A- 20 points, 40% long range shooting (2-5). 3 assists and no turnovers will get you that grade. Is quickly proving to be more than just a get me the ball so I can shoot a trey player. Much more all around than I expected.

Lance Ware B- IMO the perfect player to play behind Oscar. Still misses too many gimmes but lots of hustle and hard work. He makes his opponents work hard as well. Seemed to have a bit more fire tonight. Only shot twice, although several shots he took don't show as he ended up being fouled. The bad was the 2-6 from the line. The good was 4 steals. That is an effort stat, and I like effort.

Antonio Reeves B+ As Jon Scott noted in the last report card, his handle is suspect at times. Tonight it was suspect to the tune of 3 turnovers which led the team, to 2 assists. Only he and Chris had more TO than assists. Of course Reeves led in the scoring column with 22, took 12 treys...hitting half of them. I do fear that he will have a "bad" night and shoot us out of a victory. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Adou Thiero C Definitely pushed it tonight. Tried to drive the lane and bully to the basket like Keith Bogans used to do. Managed 4 points, all from the line.

Ugonna Onyenso B Fun to watch him swat away. His timing is excellent but its his speed off the floor that is key, plus his arm length. Just a defensive gem. Hope I never see him shoot that 10 footer though. Was 3 of 4 for 6 pts and 4 rebounds. But his worth is the blocks, of which he had 4

Daimion Collins DNP Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family

Oscar Tshiebwe DNP

Sahvir Wheeler DNP

Coaching B+ I will give Cal a pass on the minutes played. Not much choice.

Officials C The crew was fine. Typically Tony Greene does a horrible job but was OK tonight. Patrick Evans normally so so. Michael Wallace is one I'm not to familiar with. They missed some calls, but had no effect.

Commentators B Its early, not as annoying as they will be come Feb and March

Other FT shooting was terrible. 57% won't cut it. +5 on the glass was fine (42-37). But most impressive with the 46% from long range. Shows the right people shot them at the right time.
  • KSR Twitter Feed