Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Why did the UK Football Football Team go off the Rails?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Mark Stoops is in a box in terms of coaching better and players playing better. There is a conundrum that they find themselves in of the fact that his offensive is not producing at the level that it takes to win in the SEC. In the previous years Stoops has not been given to hyperbole when expressing the destination of his team or his players. However, this pre-season Stoops put the BBN on 'Cloud Nine' with exemely expectations. Now they have gone from expectation to trepidation. What the next two games tell the BBN as to where and what the future looks like.

Stoops alluded to there being some philosophical things as one reason. He didn't put it to where the goats could could get it, but any football pundit can figure it out. He hired Rich Ssangarello from the San Francisco 49ers who brought the offensive line coach Zach Yenser with him. We think Stoops felt he had made a brilliant hire that could continue the tradition of the Big blue Wall and mix in some NFL passing game with Will Levis at the quarterback helm. Scangarello made some miscalculations on his offensive line thinking the Big Blue Wall would continue. After all he came from a run-heavy offense in San Francisco. He knew about the record setting Benny Snell and Chris Rodriquez on tap to break his record, four game suspension not withstanding.

UK's present situation with a detour from the Big Wall Wall produced questionable scoring opportunity consistensy. Yes, Chris recorded 162 non-chain moving rushing yards. Yards came hard between the tackles. Which brings me to the play calling. After UK having some early success moving the ball between the tackles, in 49er style, Scangarello went to the well to many times between the tackles. Tayvion Robinson ran an end around for 12-yards at the 6: 22 mark of the second quarter, almost breaking it for a much longer play.

The question is, after the halftime adjustments Vandy made to stop the inside runs, why wasn't the end around seen again. Again, the play calling was NFL style. We think Scangarello wasn't aware of how touch the SEC is week to week. If he is around for another year, I'm sure he will fit the offense more to a college style.

There were many things that went ary on this football team this season but we expect Stoops to fix it starting Saturday against Georgia. The Budogs are a 22-pooint favorite and the Cats need to keep the rout off of them.
    Comments 12 Comments
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I'm one of them. Georgia is tough. Maybe the best team in the nation tough.
      catmanjack -
      What I hear the SEC is not as good this year.
      By the way I do not expect UK to be within 20 points.
      Justwarcat -
      All of this seasons demise comes down to the left tackle.
      catmanjack -
      The disappointing part is that it doesn’t seem others have been tried to solve that problem.
      kingcat -
      A head coach must be able to tell the difference in a great team and a mediocre team.
      The only excuse would be not paying enough attention to detail. Which is requirement number one for a head coach.
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Justwarcat View Post
      All of this seasons demise comes down to the left tackle.
      The right tackle hasn't contributed much in the way of positive either.
      Powermaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      Yes , Flax has been horrible.
      MickintheHam -
      The Big Blue Wall is back!!!
      Terry Blue -
      They were for Miss St. Some thought that the Oline has never learned Scang complicated blocking schemes
      VirginiaCat -
      I have stepped back from the ledge and thought about this some.

1. Stoops could have been building team up in preseason trying to give them confidence but knowing he had some deficits and hoping they would play to his words. (Had we won the OM Game it might have worked...does that get us over USC?)
      2. He also was trying to fight for the NIL influenced recruits at the same time.
      3. I should have known in last years Bowl game when our Tackle struggled that we may not have the horses to fill in we needed.
      4. Will had, to me, obvious deficits last year in his decision making. I hoped that improved. It has not. holds on to ball too long. Combined with weak OL creates bad outcomes.
      5. I sense, no info, we do not have a cohesive coaching staff. Schlar may have been the glue. Then losing Gran as a steadying influence has exacerbated it.
      5. I do think NIL $$$ is playing a role here. I saw an experienced and top tier SEC LB go too far up the field on that long TD Run by Vandy appearing to make a play by himself vs. sticking to his assigned lanes. It is happening in the D Backfield as well. Either undisciplined or someone trying to make a name for themselves to make $$$$..dunno.
      6. I said this last week. I do not think UK in general as the $$$$ assets to maintain a Blue Blood Basketball program and a SEC Competitive Football program via NIL. I think it will be a choice and we know that choice has to be basketball. Coaches are not stupid. They see this too and hence why Stoops reacted to Cal statement the way he did....
      7. I have been a MB supporter as many here know and lament. I do not think he is the right AD in a NIL world.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
      I have stepped back from the ledge and thought about this some.

1. Stoops could have been building team up in preseason trying to give them confidence but knowing he had some deficits and hoping they would play to his words. (Had we won the OM Game it might have worked...does that get us over USC?)
      2. He also was trying to fight for the NIL influenced recruits at the same time.
      3. I should have known in last years Bowl game when our Tackle struggled that we may not have the horses to fill in we needed.
      4. Will had, to me, obvious deficits last year in his decision making. I hoped that improved. It has not. holds on to ball too long. Combined with weak OL creates bad outcomes.
      5. I sense, no info, we do not have a cohesive coaching staff. Schlar may have been the glue. Then losing Gran as a steadying influence has exacerbated it.
      5. I do think NIL $$$ is playing a role here. I saw an experienced and top tier SEC LB go too far up the field on that long TD Run by Vandy appearing to make a play by himself vs. sticking to his assigned lanes. It is happening in the D Backfield as well. Either undisciplined or someone trying to make a name for themselves to make $$$$..dunno.
      6. I said this last week. I do not think UK in general as the $$$$ assets to maintain a Blue Blood Basketball program and a SEC Competitive Football program via NIL. I think it will be a choice and we know that choice has to be basketball. Coaches are not stupid. They see this too and hence why Stoops reacted to Cal statement the way he did....
      7. I have been a MB supporter as many here know and lament. I do not think he is the right AD in a NIL world.
      MB was not the right AD from the time the O,Bannon suit was filed. He along with the NCAA brain(?) trust never saw NIL nor the transfer portal coming. Instead he fought it to the bitter end. (emphasis on bitter)
      Justwarcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      True but a good left tackle puts horsey at rt in his natural spot. Completely changes the line
  • KSR Twitter Feed