Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• KY vs KY ST report card

By: Ronald "Doc" Ball

General Impressions Everybody played well, not sure there was a POG. Some selfish plays but also some nice passing. As a team we had 19 assists to 10 turnovers, so as a team we nearly made the 2:1 goal that I always look for. Also 10 blocks. 6 players managed double figures in points. The tempo was what we needed, and we looked much better than the least game.

Sahvir Wheeler DNP

Antonio Reeves B Was the leading scorer with 23 but one of two player with more TO than assists. Did hit 50% from the field and beyond the arc (7-14 overall and 5-10 from long range). Looks to be an adequate #3 PG but I think CJ is likely to surplant him as the #1 SG.

Daimion Collins DNP

Oscar Tshiebwe DNP

Jacob Toppin B Leader in minutes played with 30. Went 7-15 and 7-7 from the line to total 21 pts. Did not take any trey attempts. He played with much better energy and aggression in this game compared to last game. His 6 rebounds and 2 blocks support that. Also 3 assts to 1 turnover.

Cason Wallace B Wanted to give him a B+ but 5-16 and 2-8 made it more than I could justify. 28 minutes of action garnered him 5 assists which was second most on the team. 12 points looks to be what I predict him averaging for the season. His physicality gives us a totally different look compared to when Sahvir is running the team. That difference could give opponents fits.

Chris Livingston B+ His numbers surprised me. Didn't think they were as strong as they ended up being. 14 points on 6-7 shooting. Played 24 minutes tonight. Had 1 turnover but 0 assists. 5 rebounds as well, which is what this team needs from him.

CJ Fredrick A While his shooting was stellar, I was most impressed with his 6 assists which led that team, and no turnovers. 5-8 shooting, including 3-5 from long range to tally 14 points in 26 minutes. He has FAR exceeded my expectations. Were he more selfish, he could have scored 10 more points. But as an open shooter, I believe he is the cleanest and surest long range threat since Cal has been in Lexington.

Lance Ware B+ Finished 1 rebound short of a double double. His 10 pts was a big contribution as he is looking more comfortable on the floor as an option. I really focused on his rebounding though, and believe he has learned a lot by practicing with Oscar. He seems to be really going after the glass. Had an assist and no turnovers in 22 minutes. I thought he played very well, deserving of the second highest grade on the team.

Adou Thiero B The "Utility Man" managed 7 pts and 5 rebounds in his 18 minutes, going 2-3 and hitting his only trey attempt. Doesn't do anything great but does everything well and hustle his butt off. Tonight was the same.

Ugonna Onyenso B Played 18 minutes, going 1-6 from the field. Normally that isn't "B" worthy but his team leading 11 rebounds is. Is very uncomfortable with the ball offensively but defensively he is huge. His 4 blocks continues to impress.

Coaching B Good to see the Stomp is still there. We seemed much more prepared, and that despite some of the off court events.

Officials C- That crew wasn't all that good, very much favored UK.

Commentators A Givens speech pattern is a bit annoying at the beginning but his knowledge more than makes up for it. I like he and Leech way more than most of the National guys.

Other This game was needed to erase the last performance, as well as help the team deal with the likely effect of the passing of Damian's father.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Doc. Good stuff.
      kingcat -
      It was a fun read.
      Can’t argue with one iota of that eval.
      Perfect imo.
      I thought Lance deserve a half point extra for putting forth such a great effort. I actually think he was the team leader out there for once. That’s big.
      JPScott -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Yeah, I think he might have been pushing it a bit. Once he got in the flow, things improved. Had one "bad" turnover in the second half which is what I am sure you are focused on.
      Well it was more than just one time, and IIRC it came up a few times in the previous exhibition and the blue-white as well. Just a little surprising to me given that he was a successful and experienced ball-dominant guard at Illinois State, I didnt' expect ball-handling to be an issue with him. Maybe it's just nerves or like I said a lack of focus? Hopefully it won't be an issue during the regular season.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I think he may push just a little too hard at times. I'm sure that will improve as the season goes along.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Still believe that UKO has more upside but Ware has really improved a ton. And UK , for the first time since 2015, has real depth inside with guys who know they're centers and don't think they're two guards. That's going to matter some weekend in March.
  • KSR Twitter Feed