Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• University of Kentucky Football a Quandary?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

There is little doubt Mark Stoops is and outstanding college football coach. To bring the program to this point. The hardest thing for a new head coach to do for a program like Kentucky, was to hire a quality staff. The uncertainty of sustainability was in question, based on past history and the shape the program was in. From a study Stoops’ tenure, he has shown a reluctance to out accolades for his team and or individuals on the team.

Stoops has had players with potential star power but it wasn’t until the light shined through deep in their career – Ala Benny Snell JR; Lynn Bowden; Mike Edwards; and Austin MacGinnis among others that the coach would rain accolades.

Now comes the quandary. This particular season Stoops has done a 180 his proclamation of having arrived to be competitive with the top dogs in the SEC Conference. What is the reason for that turn around in projection for his team? I contend that he felt like he had an NFL quarterback that could operate in the same vain as last season. He perhaps, felt like he had more weapons for will Levis to work with.

Now the take away for the mid-season grade. There are certain shortcomings: and undersized offensive line on the left side. No strong left tackle has developed. Alabama beat out UK in the transfer portal for Vandy left tackle Tyler Steen. Grade Offensive line C-.

I maybe a lone-wolf howling in the wilderness but I question a lot of Levis’ decision-making. In fairness, it hard making good decision laying on your back and that’s where he been far more times than he would like. Giving the point’s anemia, grade D.

I think Rich Scangarello is to firmly entrench in the NFL style of running an offense. One argument against my contention is the half-back pass the 49ers Christian McCaffery threw down field for a touchdown Sunday. Scangarello called an exotic play against South Caroline and it blew up in his face and nothing since. These are the type of plays that change the momentum of a game. Remember the OBJ passes to Jarvis Landry. Play calling B-.

Special Teams: It has been a total disaster. This group is one-third of your football team. Perhaps, Stoops didn’t see this fiasco coming. The snapping, the holding, the kicking, an overall Grade F.
    There are four games left to improve the outlook and Stoops and Scangarello are waving the caution flag for the BBN not to take that leap. YEAHBUT, at this point generally you are what you are.
  • KSR Twitter Feed