Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky women's 113-33 victory a silent warning to certain farm animals

It might be the first time in history that a basketball team has talked about dead chickens in its post-game press conference.

But that’s exactly what the UK Hoops team did, after they throttled Bellarmine in an exhibition game Monday night, 113-33.

Raising Cane’s, the popular chicken finger restaurant in Lexington, has a promotion that would give UK fans who attended a women’s game free food if the team scores 35 points in the first half. The Cats came close to doubling that in the first half last night, scoring 62 in the first 20 minutes of play and forcing 27 turnovers (46 for the game).

When asked about the Cane’s promotion, sophomore Bria Goss paused and said, “You know, there’s going to be a lot of dead chickens.”

And she’s right. This Kentucky team is fast and absolutely relentless – something that a 113-33 final score would indicate. Although this game was only an exhibition against a Division-II opponent, UK’s talent is obvious, and the style of play was exciting for the fans in attendance.

Whether it was freshman Janee Thompson, in her first college action, dishing out assists or Samarie Walker grabbing yet another steal (she finished with five), this UK team is undeniably exciting. They run. And run, and run, and run. Bellarmine was visibly fatigued late in the game, but the Cats would not relent. Even after they hit the century mark, Kentucky players were still diving to the floor for loose balls and getting low on defense to force steals.

Even with all that success, the team is not satisfied. After the game, Coach Matthew Mitchell conceded that this team isn’t where he wants it to be.

“Some plays we were able to make tonight just because we were physically more talented, and we have to sharpen those things up,” he said. “Very soon, we’ll be playing games where the talent level…there won’t be such great disparity.”

“We could be a lot better (on offense),” said senior A’dia Mathies. “We’ve got a lot of things still to work on.”

Poultry farms that supply to Raising Cane’s… be ready.
    Comments 6 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      35 points? Do they follow the women's team? Quicker to count how many games they don't score 35 in the 1st half at the speed they play.
      CatQuick -
      I don't know about dead chickens, could we substitute some cardinals?
      WoodstockCat -
      Qft!
      Quote Originally Posted by catquick View Post
      i don't know about dead chickens, could we substitute some cardinals?
      bluecat24 -
      I had to chance to see the game lastnight and this team is something else. It is 40 minutes of such a frantic pace, I was worn out watching the game. Other teams better be ready because if you are not in your best shape they will run you out of the gym.
      UKFlounder -
      I didn't know this board allowed fowl language...

Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
      I don't know about dead chickens, could we substitute some cardinals?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      I didn't know this board allowed fowl language...
      Groan.
  • KSR Twitter Feed