Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky Baseball Lands Top Ten Transfer Class

Baseball America ranks the Wildcats No. 6 in the country

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky baseball hit the transfer portal hard this offseason and scored big with a group ranked as the sixth-best transfer class in Division I baseball by Baseball America, one of the most respected authorities on amateur baseball.

The outlet said the class “provides a little bit of everything” and should help the Wildcats fill holes on the roster created through graduation and the Major League Baseball draft.

Subscribers can read the full transfer report at BaseballAmerica.com.

Outfielder Kendal Ewell follows the path paved by Daniel Harris IV and Darren Williams before him in moving a short distance across I-75 from Eastern Kentucky University to UK. Ewell was a Golden Spikes semifinalist last spring and has batted .333 in 111 career games with 21 doubles, 21 home runs and 13 stolen bases. He was First-Team All-Atlantic Sun Conference in 2022.

Experience also comes in the forms of first baseman Hunter Gilliam (.271, 20 HR, 104 RBI in his career), outfielder Jackson Gray (19 2B, 14 HR, 18 SB), infielder Grant Smith (.303 in 65 games), catcher Chase Stanke (22 2B, 15 HR in 128 games) and infielder Patrick Herrera (2nd Team All-Big Ten).

Also, the versatile Ryan Waldschmidt arrives from Charleston Southern, where he was one of the top freshmen in the country last spring when he stole 18 bases and had 16 extra-base hits.

On the mound, East Carolina’s Ryder Giles brings his side-winding style from the right side, where he had six saves in 84.2 career innings. He also is the ECU’s career leader in sacrifice bunts and can play anywhere in the infield.

Logan Martin, was the conference pitcher of the year at the University of the South and has strikeout rates similar to all-american Tyler Guilfoil did when he arrived. Seth Chavez (East Tennessee State) and Zach Hise (Missouri) are hard-throwing righties working their way back from injury.
    Comments 4 Comments
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      It's definitely interesting that Mingione has decided to become the king of the portal, having had success in it over the couple of seasons. It didn't yield a birth last year, but definitely did have a collection of wins that could rival anyone. It'll be interesting to see how the season shapes out.

I'm a very passive UK baseball observer. Never got into the sport at the collegiate level, but do enjoy keeping us as I can with the program.
      catmanjack -
      Thanks I had wondered how the team would reload
      Catfan73 -
      It sure would be nice to see them make some noise.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      It sure would be nice to see them make some noise.
      Well, they did last year in the SEC tournament and were better than the Aubie team that went to the CWS. Ole Miss proved that just about every SEC team should have been invited. We need an AD that will fight for the team to get in the tournament. I’m not a Mingione fan but for Gawd’s sake he needs an advocate.
  • KSR Twitter Feed