Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Legacy come Along Win Stoops' Winning Ways

By: LONNY DEMAREE

There are glowing predictions on the University of Kentucky 2023 football season. At this writing there are 11-more days to kickoff! The UK nemesis Chris Doering that caught the winning pass in Commonwealth Stadium that completed a last second win for the Gators. For years in the eyes of Florida players and fans, UK was an after thought, so its easy to see why he has no jaundice in his eyes, given his 11-1 UK final season record. Some of the BBN would be happy but not satified because he picks the only loss being against Tennessee.

To that point, six years ago with some died-in-the-wool football fans of whom I often have breakfast with, were bitter and miffed a to why UK football wasn't getting more respect nationally? I informed them that the respect will not come unitl they start beating Louisville and Tennessee. Now that's happening although the Cats are 2-3 over the last five years, though looking at the two teams UK was the better team. Comperable records bear that out. But why Tennessee? OUCH!

Over the same stretch of time UK is becoming a legacy recruit school: Nikolas Hall son of Antonio Hall both offensive linemen; Dru Phillips dad Carlos Phillips; Dane Key father Donte Key; Jackson Smith father Chuck Smith; Committed Ty Bryant father Cisco Bryant. Ty Bryant could have been in this class but because of his age his father chose to hold him back another year. The day 4.2 GPA Bryant commited was the day he turned seventeen. The very next day against rival Bryan Station he had a 60-yard pic-6 for a touchdown that immediately legitimized commitment. Last Friday, again, against BS he turned a 79-yard titilating-punt return for a touchdown. Bryant plays both sides of the ball.

Then there is Jacob jones son of Pookie Jones. Depending on which publication you read Jones is listed 6-2, 6-1, or 6-0 200lbs. Never-the-less he is a great athlete and he has and offer from UK. In an opening season victory in which his West Jessamine team won (Jacob) Jones accounted for 527-yards - 372-yards running, and 185-passing. Jone's head coach said he has tremendous pocket presence and a cannon for an arm." He said a lot of people are missing in the kid. Will he be a legasy recruit? Only time will tell.

Throughout Stoops' tenure, he hasn't been given to hyperbole or unearned accolades. Until the last couple of years, he has done a 180-degree turn. Remember he came from Florida State where at the time talent was plentiful.

At the UK Kickoff Luncheon at Churchhill Downs yesterday, Louisville personality Fred Taylor interviewd Stoops where he was very positive about his teams upcoming season. I reviewed the tape that I recorded to rehear the hyperbole. I did a running count - Good or Very Good 13 times; Better 5-times; Great 7 times; Excited 4 times; Unbelievable 2 times; heck-a-team 1; Amazing 1; Superstar 1, and Perseverance 1. for a total over a Thirty four positive utterances over a forty-minute time period 34.

Thsi article is not to pump anybody up. I think Stoops is doing a good job of that. Not the gen-up ticket sales. season tickets are almost gone. I will be attending tomorrow's Longship Room's at Kroger Field kickoff luncheon where his coordinators will be present.
  • KSR Twitter Feed