Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Joker: Mitch never said no

Joker Phillips emphasized again Tuesday that he never asked Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart for anything he did not get.

“And all I asked for was things that would help the players: Jeremy Jarmon’s position, everything I asked for as far as recruiting. Anything that would benefit the player, he never once said no,” said Phillips.

Phillips has no regrets about not asking for more, either.

“Bells and whistles don’t sell places. They don’t. They just don’t. They help a little bit, but they don’t sell places,” Phillips said. “I was at Notre Dame, and if you’d have seen the locker rooms and the meeting rooms, they weren’t there. And they’d won a few championships there.

“I don’t think the bells and whistles help. I think steady recruiting and, again, making sure that you have a guy (quarterback) that can pull the trigger here and then making sure you have your two upper-level (recruiting) classes stockpiled.”
    Comments 13 Comments
      UKHistory -
      There is a great deal of loyalty on display between Joker and Barnhart. A lot of feelings about Joker's tenure. Disapointed and saddend that it has come to this most of all.
      Catonahottinroof -
      Did he request a recruiting room? Others have and it didn't happen.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      Did he request a recruiting room? Others have and it didn't happen.
      The way this relationship comes off, Mitch probably sent Joker a list of things he could ask for and get. Appears a recruiting room wasn't on it.
      anderwt -
      Don't think I have seen a fan base so hung up on a "recruiting room"
      Catonahottinroof -
      We have the #13-14 recruiting room in the SEC helps pull in those #13-14 classes.
      Brooks cited this as necessity to compete. I would defer to his judgement.
      dan_bgblue -
      His reference to Notre Dame is not comparing apples to apples when it comes to the need for bells and whistles. The name ND recruits athletes and damn good athletes. Same can not be said for UK.
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      Phillips said. “I was at Notre Dame, and if you’d have seen the locker rooms and the meeting rooms, they weren’t there. And they’d won a few championships there.
      “I don’t think the bells and whistles help.”
      Yes, they've won championships. But when was the last one? They haven't upgraded and they've fallen behind, too, until recently.
      LakeCat -
      Don't buy Joker's if we could only get to 2013, we would really be good. His first year he had Hartline, Cobb, Locke and a very favorable schedule and had a losing season. Same system and much of same staff, the only difference was he was calling the shots as HC. Not piling on, just stating the obvious.
      Catonahottinroof -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thedonnie123 View Post
      Yes, they've won championships. But when was the last one? They haven't upgraded and they've fallen behind, too, until recently.
      1988 to be exact.
      TheFabFueder -
      If Mitch never said no, then Joker didn't ask for enough.
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      1988 to be exact.
      Bingo. Thank you for supporting my lazy browsing habits, sir.
      MickintheHam -
      Has anyone here worked for anyone who always says, "Yes"? Larry, you've got to be kidding. What kind of administrator do we have here? One who always says "Yes". One who tells the fans they are racist. One who hires drunks. One who wastes money on airplanes. One who tells fans to "shut up".

I wouldn't want to work for anybody like that and I don't want someone on my alma mater's payroll who behaves in that manner.
      lymand -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheFabFueder View Post
      If Mitch never said no, then Joker didn't ask for enough.
      Or didn't ask the right questions.
  • KSR Twitter Feed