Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• What to watch for in tonight's game

By: Tyler Adkins

Last week we watched as the Wildcats beat Northwood during the first exhibition game of the new season. Tonight the Wildcats will take on Transylvania in the final tune-up before playing Maryland on Friday. The young Cats did a lot of good things and some bad things during the first exhibition game, but nothing that is out of the ordinary for a young team. I have watched the game a few times and have come up with some things I will be looking for in terms of improvement in tonight’s game.

*Will Ryan Harrow play “tougher?”

Calipari has made it no secret that his thin point guard has to be more physical and the evidence was there in the first game suggesting he isn’t quite where he needs to be during the season. Harrow showed his speed and playmaking ability during the game when he was getting to the rim early in the game, but he needs to be able to absorb contact better and continue to be able to get by stronger defenders. He also seemed to have the ability to run the team; which is essential for the point guard of a young team. It will be interesting to see how he is able to compete tonight.

*The offensive games of Cauley-Stein and Noel.

Both big men showed why they can be so dominate on the defensive end last game and showed how athletic they are by getting lobs and put-backs. Now I am wanting to see if either, or both, are getting more comfortable with their backs to the basket. At some point they will both be threats down low to score on their own, and I am hoping we start at least seeing one of them be comfortable enough to make some offensive moves when they get the ball on the block. Whether the shots fall isn’t as important now as seeing them get the confidence to make the moves down low.

*What will Poythress do?

Poythress showed flashes of why he is viewed as a guy who can be a beast on the basketball court, but also showed at times why Calipari gets on him daily for not playing hard every possession. Poythress has all the tools to be a superstar for this team by scoring inside and out, but when that switch will flip and he begins competing every possession is the question. Once he learns to go hard at all times, he will be scary good.

*The Bench

We saw a limited rotation in the first game and there isn’t much evidence to suggest that Calipari will be willing to go more into his bench during this game early. Cauley-Stein and Mays played well off the bench but I am hoping at least one other guy can find his way into the rotation to add some depth. Hood or Beckham (when healthy) are the two I am looking to show the ability to get spot minutes and produce. If one or both can get in the rotation, this team becomes a much deeper team and one that can handle occasional foul trouble throughout the season.

*Wiltjer and Goodwin on offense

Goodwin showed that he is a real threat on this team to be the leading scorer and go off for big numbers any game. His desire to compete is off the charts and he has that scorer’s mentality that is hard to teach. Wiltjer was quiet for most of the game and seemed to have a hard time getting the ball in a spot where he could score. Wiltjer is a guy who can score inside and out, and is someone I think could challenge Goodwin for leading scorer. Seeing how the offense continues to get these guys shots will be interesting to watch.

These are a few of the many things I will be watching for in this game. I am certain this team will look more comfortable in this game than they did in last week’s game, and hopefully that will lead to less mistakes and a cleaner game.

In the forum let me know some of the things you will be watching for in this game.
    Comments 7 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      One thing I would mention is that Coach has been quoted that Harrow is not a "bulldog" and he has to play with a lot of energy all the time. I do not expect him to be real physical at the rim, but I want to see a smart energizer bunny.
      Doc -
      Thus far, albeit limited, I'm not as impressed with Poythress and Harrow. I expected more of both.
      tyleradkins -
      Harrow definitely is going to need to be a "slippery" point guard who can just slip by people as opposed to Teague who could bully people. And Doc I agree about Poythress to the extent of how hard he plays, expected him to be a motor guy.
      Padukacat -
      Poythress and harrow are the two I'm watching, they are keys to improve.
      Philly Cat -
      Poythress has such incredible, natural skills. He's a little too nice for my liking right now, though. We need to inject the warrior-attitude of a Victor Oladipo into Poythress.

Noel is going to "get it" around February, and it's going to be scary... and it's going to maddening every night until then.

Harrow-- I'm just not seeing it. At all.
      tyleradkins -
      The thing we need to remember with Harrow is he is going to be a guy who runs the team. He will never be a guy who just takes over games like Wall and Knight, and that is ok as long as he makes plays when they are there. I would really like to see his assists numbers be high, because I think that is what his game should be
      Darrell KSR -
      Agree on Harrow--if you get him to be about a 7 assist guy, that's what the team will need.

Knight averaged about 4 assists, Teague about 5, Wall about 6+. Get Harrow into Wall's range or better, and that will be fine with me.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post