Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Randy Sanders on UK's quarterbacks, youth

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Randy Sanders

The football situation in Lexington is getting stickier and stickier with each passing week.

The latest installment of 2012 disappointment came Saturday with a 40-0 blowout to Vanderbilt, the worst loss by the Cats to the Commodores since 1907. It’s the second shutout of the season that Kentucky has suffered (the first was to Florida), and the Cats’ offensive struggles since Max Smith went down to an ankle injury continue.

The coaching staff continued its plan of splitting snaps between freshmen Jalen Whitlow and Patrick Towles against Vanderbilt, again to no avail. Offensive coordinator Randy Sanders said that Whitlow played “his best game he’s played this year,” but wasn’t quite as complimentary with Towles.

“I told him (Towles) one time on the sideline, ‘You know, you’re a good thrower, but you’re not a very good passer right now.’ A passer completes passes,” Sanders said. “You throw pretty spirals but we’re not completing enough of them. One of the things we talked about with Max (Smith), Max was so much more accurate starting the season than he was last year because he was able to anticipate and know where the guy was and get his body in line so his mechanics were good. Right now, Patrick’s mechanics are everywhere.”

Sanders said Smith struggled with the same concepts last year when he was a freshman. The youth of Towles and Whitlow has continued to play a vital role in Kentucky’s 2012 football season. However, it is not just the two quarterbacks who are young and inexperienced; it is a huge portion of the team, especially on offense.

“We’ve got guys who’ve just started shaving; they’re still trying to figure out why the toilet paper doesn’t magically appear in the bathroom because their mom’s always put it there,” Sanders said. “They’ll grow up and they’ll mature. There’s no question we’ve got ability, we’ve got some talent. We’re just really young and we do some stupid things that young players do.”

With that immaturity comes losses such as the 40-0 one to Vanderbilt. And with the “young” mistakes comes annoyance from the coaching staff, at least according to Sanders.

“I think they (Whitlow and Towles) will probably like me a whole lot better in a year or two,” Sanders said. “I love them as kids, but sometimes on the field, they irritate me to death. So I’ll like them better as quarterbacks in a few years.”
    Comments 19 Comments
      Catonahottinroof -
      Anyone remember Woodson's first two years? Same issues, just happened to be Kurt Roper as his coach before Sanders has him.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Towles mechanics are pretty bad. Of course, if they had been working on them during the month and half they thought they were going to redshirt him and had him running the scout team they might be a lot better by now.

I mean, I always thougth that a redshirt year was to be used to get your techniques and mechanics down.
      BigBluePappy -
      "I mean, I always thougth that a redshirt year was to be used to get your techniques and mechanics down."

Good teams, they are.
      Catonahottinroof -
      A new coach inherits 3 QB's in the same class now....
      BigBluePappy -
      Be interesting when it comes down to markin' time.
      Ashley Scoby -
      Have to wonder how much burning Towles' redshirt this year will affect him in the future. Hope that UK didn't waste his talent this year, but it sure seems that way.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Scoby View Post
      Have to wonder how much burning Towles' redshirt this year will affect him in the future. Hope that UK didn't waste his talent this year, but it sure seems that way.
      It's what he wanted, but it's not what they should have done. Of course, they burned redshirts like no other staff I've ever heard about. Almost 50% of Jokers classes had their redshirts pulled. That's just awful.
      Terry Blue -
      If Max is well, he will be hard to beat out, unless we bring in a coach employing the option or veer, then Jalen will be the man
      KMSBball -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      A new coach inherits 3 QB's in the same class now....

My guess is that Whitlow will change positions.
      catmanjack -
      I bet a new coach will like Towles arm better then smith.
      Whitlow seems to be the one that will move to another position.
      Doc -
      Its amazing that one of the areas of note is inexperience at QB. Well he have a Sr QB on the roster, the one who came in as a highly rated prospect but the staff failed to develop into an SEC level QB. So while we are playing with an inexperienced QB, the reason isn't any injury to Max Smith, its the regression of Morgan Newton.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      I bet a new coach will like Towles arm better then smith.
      Whitlow seems to be the one that will move to another position.
      I believe it is a given he will like his arm. The question is whether he will like his head. There is a lot more to the position than having a canon for an arm It's great to have a strong arm, but it is not the most important factor, particularly if a coach runs a dink and dunk passing offense.
      TonyRay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Its amazing that one of the areas of note is inexperience at QB. Well he have a Sr QB on the roster, the one who came in as a highly rated prospect but the staff failed to develop into an SEC level QB. So while we are playing with an inexperienced QB, the reason isn't any injury to Max Smith, its the regression of Morgan Newton.
      If you are referring to Newton he is a senior now.
      catmanjack -
      Agree Mick, Look at the kid at A&M. Do not believe he pass the look of a true QB but he is a beast and plays the position top notch.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I believe it is a given he will like his arm. The question is whether he will like his head. There is a lot more to the position than having a canon for an arm It's great to have a strong arm, but it is not the most important factor, particularly if a coach runs a dink and dunk passing offense.
      Hopefully the playbook wont be advanced multi-variable calculus like the previous regime and can be learned in less than 4 years
      catmanjack -
      When you read comments like this from the coach why would you want to play for him and oh I bet Towles is thankful he wont have to play for him much longer.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      Hopefully the playbook wont be advanced multi-variable calculus like the previous regime and can be learned in less than 4 years
      I think Pitino helped them develop that play book!
      catmanjack -
      I just hope the next coach and coach like Cal in that he takes the kids strengths and uses them on the field.
      CitizenBBN -
      Contrast their "only knows 10% of the playbook" with Cal in All Access saying they need to teach them 3-4 things well and then go from there b/c they're so young.

Cal just shortens his playbook to what they can do right now and then it expands as it can.
  • KSR Twitter Feed