Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Numbers staggering against Joker

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — The numbers against Joker Phillips keeping his coaching job at Kentucky are staggering — and Saturday’s 40-0 loss to Vanderbilt here certainly did not help.

That dropped UK’s record to 1-9 and was the team’s eighth straight loss. It meant UK has been outscored 78-8 the last two years by Vanderbilt. Kentucky has now lost 13 of its last 15 Southeastern Conference games and the average margin of defeat has been 26.9 points per game. Phillips is also just 12-25 since taking over a program from Rich Brooks that had been to four straight bowl games.

Worse yet, fans are staying away in record numbers. Attendance was announced at 44,902 but that more likely was empty seats than fans in the stands. That number was based on tickets sold and included anyone also working at the game. Actual attendance might have been less than 25,000.

“I get this business. I get the criticism,” said Phillips. “Nobody in this program wants this place to have success more than me. I understand this is a business that is based on results and we have not got results.”

He even acknowledged that he is “making it real tough on him” when asked about UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart obviously trying to find a way to keep his head coach for a fourth season. He again cited being “depleted” in the junior and senior classes — but remember Phillips was on the UK staff that brought the juniors and seniors into the program before he was head coach — and that Kentucky would win “when you have veterans at the top.”

Phillips’ postgame press conference was dominated by questions about his future rather than his team’s play. But that had to be expected.

Vanderbilt scored touchdowns on its first two possessions and had five touchdown drives of 59 or more yards on its first six series to take a 34-0 lead early in period three. Vanderbilt eventually won a SEC game by its largest margin since 1948 and got its first SEC shutout since a 6-0 win over UK in 1968.

Kentucky had just 260 yards of total offense and what scoring chances it had, it could not convert. The Cats were sloppy on special teams with five major mistakes and other than linebacker Avery Wiliamson (11 solo stops, nine assists, one forced fumble) way too lax on defense. Offensive coordinator Randy Sanders got so flustered with freshman quarterback Patrick Towles (8-for-23, 93 yards, one sack) that he walked away from him several times on the sideline rather than talk to him after the Cats were stopped.

So does Phillips thinks he even deserves another year even though he has two years left on his contract?

“That's not for me to decide, but we've tried to do this thing the right way. We've got to come up with ways of keeping our kids in our program. We've put together some things that allowed us to do that. There's a lot that's helped us to do that,” Phillips said. “Again, we have a lot of young kids in this program, but that's not for me to decide.

“The other thing, our last 12 (SEC) games, we've played a true freshmen at quarterback. There's no excuse. These are facts. I'm not making excuses. I'm giving you facts.”

So would he like to be back considering the team’s record, low attendance and overall negativity about the program?

“I'd love to. No doubt I would love to. It's not for me to decide. I understand Mitch's position and the things that go into,” Phillips said. “We've got some good young kids here that are hurting worse than any guy that is associated with this program. I'm talking about fans also. Those kids are hurting. They're hurting badly by the way we performed today.”

Phillips emphasized he did not want kids “to shoulder things coming at me” and that he wanted his players to continue to do the right things academically and socially, which he says they have been doing. He also said if Barnhart had reached a decision about his future, it would be announced.

“If there was a decision either way, I would think it would be important for me or Mitch to come out and make a decision, either way. Help get another guy or help us in recruiting. So, we have not talked. Again, it will be evaluated at the end of the season. That's all I know about it,” Phillips said.

If Barnhart doesn’t announce, he’s doing a disservice to the team, players and even Phillips and his staff. This team played like a team that had lost all hope for the most part. Not sure the coaches were not the same way. And obviously even many of the most die-hard fans have bailed on the team. It’s a lethal combination and one that won’t get better during a bye week or with the remaining games against Samford and Tennessee.

“There are some hurt young men in there right now. They are definitely not proud of the way we performed today. It was not a very good performance by us,” Phillips said. “What is kind of hurtful is how we played two weeks ago (in a loss to Georgia) and we haven’t gotten to that level the last couple of weeks.”

No, and that’s what it would have taken to save Phillips’ job. No way Kentucky can keep a coach that has lost by a combined score of 78-8 to Vanderbilt the last two years. This is Vandy, not Alabama. This is Vandy, not Florida or LSU. This is the same Vandy that lost 48-3 to Georgia, a team Kentucky had a chance to beat before losing 29-24 two weeks ago.

Towles said the players “love” Phillips and want to win for the coaching staff as well as each other and the fans.

“We are trying as hard as we can to put positive stuff up there, but we just aren’t doing that right now,” Towles said.

Not even close.

So what does Phillips’ gut tell him might happen with his job status in the next few days or weeks?

“My gut was that we'd win this game today, okay? That’s where my gut was. You can't go on your gut,” Phillips said.

He’s right. Instead, you go on wins, overall play and attendance and that has to make this decision painfully obvious to everyone.
    Comments 13 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Larry Glover apparently tweeted the "in stadium" count as 19K, which like UK basketball (and everyone else) includes the workers, staff, everyone in the building.

Nice piece Larry. This has to end this next week, though I'll admit the dark side of me would like to see Mitch come out and announce his support for Joker just to see the train wreck.
      Catonahottinroof -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post

“My gut was that we'd win this game today, okay?
      I hate to single out this quote, but he had to be the only person that thought this. No one here was remotely confident we would win, even be in the game. His players didn't play that way either. It's been the recurring theme in his time as head coach.
      truecatsfan -
      Yes i attend the game. There was no way that there was more than 20,000 in the stands.
      dtalbersjr -
      12-23 overall
      4-19 in the SEC
      5-22 against BCS teams
      4-16 in our last 20 games
      1-9 in our last 10 games
      Lost 2 straight to average UofL teams
      Lost 2 straight to Vandy by a 78-8 margin
      Lost to WKU at home
      3rd best program in the state (not counting Trinity)
      Surpassed by 2 in state programs that hired their coaches at the same time we hired Joker
      Lost 49-7 to a 2-4 Arkansas game (that was shortened by 20 minutes)
      Worst UK loss to Vandy since 1916
      Vandy's first SEC shutout since 1968
      Lost by 23 to a Mizzou team that was winless in the SEC led by the worst QB I've ever seen
      Dominated by a Pitt team in Joker's first year that was without a coach

I suspected Joker was incompetent after the Ole Miss game his first year. I knew it for a fact after the Pitt and UT games his first year.

I knew Mitch would have to fire him after the UofL debacle last year. Mitch should have fired him after the Vandy debacle last year.

Joker is absolutely incompetent, and that has LONG been apparent to anyone not wearing blue tinted glasses.
      Doc -
      19K? Wow. Sad when a basketball game in Rupp outdraws a football game in Commonwealth Stadium
      dan_bgblue -
      “That's not for me to decide, but we've tried to do this thing the right way. We've got to come up with ways of keeping our kids in our program. We've put together some things that allowed us to do that. There's a lot that's helped us to do that,” Phillips said. “Again, we have a lot of young kids in this program, but that's not for me to decide.

I do believe he has done things the right way in terms of citizenship and I commend him for that.
      UKHistory -
      Honestly this needs to come to an end today.

But yeah, I kinda want the man that hired Billy Gillispie to draw not a line but a moat in the sand to see what happens.

Mitch's has made very poor personnel decisions without greater input from others.
      Catonahottinroof -
      We haven't kept kids in the program because CJP hasn't been fair with a good many that have left. The reason so much youth has seen the field is a result of the 2009 and 2010 classes walking over some issue with the staff.
      All teams have injuries in the big boy football league. Good teams have experience to full those slots when those injuries occur.
      Not at UK however.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I'll admit the dark side of me would like to see Mitch come out and announce his support for Joker just to see the train wreck.
      Talk about death sentence for the AD
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      19K? Wow. Sad when a basketball game in Rupp outdraws a football game in Commonwealth Stadium
      An exhibition game at that. The scrimmage game was close to outdrawing it.
      UKHistory -
      Aside from the woeful performance on the field, this reminds me of a real concern I had for Joker.

At Media Day in the fall of 2011, Rick Minter made a comment about how he had never heard of Rupp having 72,000 in attendance.

I found the comment to be misplaced and ill advised. Arrogance with no basis for fact and an inability of understanding who your enemies and allies are is a recipe for failure.

This was clear before the start of last year.

I want UK football to be better than good. I want the program to be great. And while I have no doubt there will be budget battles internally between football and basketball--those feuds and jabs should remain within the athletic department.

I do recall Denny Crum on the picket lines with other UofL employees because of budget decisions that benefitted Howard.

But I find it painfully ironic that we had so few people in attendance today when I think of Minter's comments before the start of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      An exhibition game at that. The scrimmage game was close to outdrawing it.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      I hate to single out this quote, but he had to be the only person that thought this. No one here was remotely confident we would win, even be in the game. His players didn't play that way either. It's been the recurring theme in his time as head coach.
      I went back and checked--although Kentucky was playing at home, against a mediocre Vanderbilt team, not a single KSR member picked Kentucky in their Stupid Underdog Pick entry this week.

I think that's more telling than some might think, and consistent with your comment that we didn't think we would win or be in the game. The SUP picks, at this point in the year, are all tough. A 7-point underdog, one lousy touchdown, and NO Kentucky fan thought enough of UK to take a swing with the Cats.
      bigronhahn1011 -
      I hate to see Joker's tenure at UK end this way. He really seems like a truly honest man with high morals, respect for the position that he holds, and wants the overall best for the football program. He really seems to be a nice guy...........and we all know what happens to nice guys.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post