Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Howard Schnellenberger

Howard Schnellenberger has one strong recommendation for the University of Kentucky if it does decide to make a coaching change.

“If they do decide make change, they have to decide what they have done in the past will not get it done,” said Schnellenberger.

Kentucky fans certainly would agree with that based on the lack of consistent success UK has had in the Southeastern Conference. Schnellenberger is also someone who not only understands the UK program, but knows about success in difficult circumstances.

Schnellenberger, 78, is a Louisville native who earned All-American honors as an end at Kentucky in 1955. He worked two years under head coach Blanton Collier at UK. He also worked under his college coach, Paul “Bear” Bryant, as an offensive coordinator at Alabama and helped he Crimson Tide win three national titles before leaving for the NFL.

He guided Miami (Fla.) to the 1983 national championship and was head coach at Louisville from 1985-1994. His 1991 team beat Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl. He left Louisville for Oklahoma and ended his coaching career by starting the program at Florida Atlantic before retiring at the end of last season.

“Miami was going to drop to Division I-AA before I got there and it was about the same way at Louisville,” Schnellenberger said. “Both were on their last gasp. They both called a timeout and tried to analyze what to do and who to bring in. In both cases, they brought in somebody that was bigger than the job.

“That’s one part of the equation at Kentucky. Bring in someone with a proven track record and has a reason for wanting the job. If you give me 20 minutes with a coaching candidate, I can convince him why Kentucky is a good job.”

What? Kentucky, a lower level SEC team, a good job for a big-name team?

“Kentucky has every natural resource you need to be good,” Schnellenberger said. “There should be no inferiority complex at Kentucky. If the university will focus its resources financially, spiritually and psychologically for the development of a great football program with the right guy in charge that brings a lot of confidence with him and a lot of public awareness to the university, then they have a chance to succeed.

“The worst thing that can happen to a program is going 4-8, 6-6, 5-7, maybe 7-5. Just good enough to ever once in a while have a winning season. Those are the ones that limp along and there’s no way they will take the next leap up.”

Schnellenberger won’t buy the theory that Kentucky doesn’t produce enough Division I football players for the Cats to succeed. He noted that programs like West Virginia, Wisconsin and even Louisville face the same issues and win.

“Lexington is half a day’s drive from half the population in the United States. You just have to go out and get the kids. Louisville does that now and you can cherry pick from Chicago to Detroit to Pittsburgh to Cleveland to Atlanta to Memphis to Birmingham. They are all close enough to Kentucky to get kids to come if the right man is in charge,” Schnellenberger said.

What about facilities? Kentucky’s are not the equal to many in the SEC.

“Bull----. Facilities are the last thing you need. At Miami we had the worst facilities of any top 100 team in the country and we won the national championship. At Louisville, look at where we were before they got Papa John’s (Cardinal) Stadium and we beat Alabama,” Schnellenberger said.

“People make the difference. Kentucky is in the greatest conference in the world. It’s people that make a difference because you have the schedule to sell. But it is not just coaching. It takes the president, board of trustees, donors. They all have to be on board. They all have to get together and see what they want.”
    So how would Schnellenberger sell a top coach on coming to Kentucky?

“First, you are in the most productive, financially sound conference in all of them. The university is an outstanding academic institution. You are sitting in a great geographical area. And you are fortified by the best basketball team in America.”

What? Are you saying Kentucky basketball helps Kentucky football rather than hurts it as many always claim?

“At Louisville, I used the basketball program. Can you imagine bringing football players in from Florida and bringing them into Rupp Arena on any given game and see the pageantry and excitement and all that. That is a recruiting opportunity that is unprecedented. Only a few schools have that kind of stage. You have all kinds of stuff going at Kentucky.”

Except maybe the perception of UK football.

“Most people think Kentucky is about like Vanderbilt, Tulane. Maybe not quite like Georgia Tech,” Schnellenberger admitted. “Middle to lower division of SEC at best.”
    With social media that makes it easy to stay in touch with family members and faster travel, Schnellenberger says “any school in America has a legitimate chance to be the best team in America.”

Including Kentucky?

“I don’t see a drawback at all except the psychology of the university and the attitude toward football,” the former coach said. “It’s not hard to change. You have got to have leadership at the top. A couple of pied pipers and a music man. You can develop that.”

So if you makes a coaching change, what direction would he go?

“There are a lot of great coaches out there. There are some sitting out there that have some damage but most of the damages are not lethal. If they have got charisma and history, they can do quite well,” he said.

Sounds like Bobby Petrino and Jim Tressell, who were forced out at Arkansas and Ohio State for different reasons that probably will not ultimately be fatal to their coaching careers. The are big names, proven winners.

Schnellenberger still wonders what would have happened if his coach, Bryant, had not left UK for Texas A&M and then Alabama. “He took Kentucky to three major bowls when there were only six bowl games. He had it going so good,” Schnellenberger said. “Then he went to Texas A&M. When he went to Alabama, they had won one game in the two previous years even with (former NFL great) Bart Starr at quarterback. In four years, they won a national championship.

“It is people and attitudes. People that generate the attitude to make changes in the football culture. I never believed Kentucky could not be a great program. Believed that when I played there. Believed that when I coached against Kentucky. I believe that now, too. But you can’t just keep doing things the same way. You have to make changes in more than just the coach if you want that to happen.”
    Comments 31 Comments
      anderwt -
      Well well....a guy who built two programs says facilities aren't everything..interesting....
      UKHistory -
      Twice it sounds like Howard is a) wanting to help UK and b) asking to be a consultant. Howard's wisdom is beyond anyone at UK and he should be paid handsomely for his recommendations.

I didn't root for UofL ever in football but I sure love Howard. He is great and very true that UK's attitude of accepting mediocrity is one reason why we suck so damn bad today.

Thanks Larry. This is an important read.

Howard is 100%. It is all about people.
      dan_bgblue -
      Get him on board to help do the search for a new coach and do it 2 weeks ago. He is not dead yet.
      cattails -
      How many times have I said Bobby Petrino? UK fans and AD need to get their nose out of the air and pitch to this man. At this point he is damaged goods, but how damaged? I think UK could get him and he would build a solid program. Put him under a contract that would hurt him to leave, lock him up, he is a proven winner and a face that is out there.
      MTcatfan -
      Ok, I think we just found the football equivalent of Mike Pratt during the last basketball hire. So lets get this thing rolling, Mitch needs to bleep or get off the pot, and ax Joker, get Howard to be in charge of the search, and then Mitch needs to roll out the red carpet sprinkled with as much green as needed once Howard makes his decision.
      UKHistory -
      The greatest football mind associated with UK is Howard. Bring him in and listen to what he says.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Think Mitch can set aside his ego and let the Stache find us a coach? Or is he butthurt over everyone knowing that Mike Pratt basically got Cal in the door and he isn't about to take a back seat again?
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
      Ok, I think we just found the football equivalent of Mike Pratt during the last basketball hire. So lets get this thing rolling, Mitch needs to bleep or get off the pot, and ax Joker, get Howard to be in charge of the search, and then Mitch needs to roll out the red carpet sprinkled with as much green as needed once Howard makes his decision.
      Agree 100%, but will Mitch do that?
      catmanjack -
      He sould have been the coach at UK when he tool the UL job.
      Still to this day do not understand that or why it didn't happen.
      Bet he could coach UK today and get wins.
      MTcatfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Agree 100%, but will Mitch do that?
      If he doesn't the fans need to make it clear to President C that it is also time to make a change at AD.
      suncat05 -
      This UK admin IS NOT going to do what needs to be done. And yes, HS is the only guy associated with Kentucky football, past or present, that really knows what needs to be done and could make it happen.
      But the UK admin will not do it. They don't care one iota about Kentucky football!
      We're beating our heads against a brick wall with this and we will not get any satisfaction from this admin. They just don't care!
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
      Think Mitch can set aside his ego and let the Stache find us a coach? Or is he butthurt over everyone knowing that Mike Pratt basically got Cal in the door and he isn't about to take a back seat again?
      Why do you care what Mitch thinks? I would tell him to get the hell out of the way while we bring some men in to fix this thing.
      MickintheHam -
      Larry, it's interesting to note that I have seen a lot of these same ideas on your blog and on this message board. They are sound ideas. Howard and the fans need to be heard.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Why do you care what Mitch thinks? I would tell him to get the hell out of the way while we bring some men in to fix this thing.
      This
      jazyd -
      Howard sure has me believing, think what he could do with a football guy. Just as Ole Miss put Archie in charge of hiring a football coach, UK needs to do the same and put Howard in charge. Just his attitude alone could win 4 games
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Howard sure has me believing, think what he could do with a football guy. Just as Ole Miss put Archie in charge of hiring a football coach, UK needs to do the same and put Howard in charge. Just his attitude alone could win 4 games
      It is exactly what needs to happen for Kentucky football, but it is not going to happen in the current climate. The UK admin & the UKAA will only at most put a band-aid on this hemorrhaging wound, just as has always been done, and in the end nothing will change.
      I really wish that I could feel more positively about this, but history is just not on the Kentucky football program's side.
      BigBluePappy -
      Gosh how I would have loved to have CHS here when Claiborne retired.
      Sigh.
      LarryVaught1 -
      And Howard would have kept talking. Spent about 45 minutes with him. REally interesting stuff
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Well well....a guy who built two programs says facilities aren't everything..interesting....
      Of course they aren't everything, but facilities are important. Also, there is no rule limiting how much you can spend on facilities which makes them an exploitable advantage. Why run a program on Vandy's level when you don't have to?

Schnellenberger said several interesting things, but I don't find his take on facilities particularly convincing. He cites Miami as an example, but Oregon is a great counter-example. Their second-to-none facilities have played a huge role in making them a perennial top-10 team. There's more than one way to build a winner and facilities certainly don't hurt.

More importantly, he's citing one-off examples to try and prove a rule. Sure, Louisville beat Alabama once even though Louisville had crappy facilities. Well, Chaminade beat Virginia once too, but I don't think anybody would realistically expect that result to repeat itself over time. Heck, UK beat LSU and look where that got us. Any team can win a given game -- even the team with worse facilities. That doesn't prove that facilities are irrelevant.
      UKHistory -
      To play devil's advocate and piggy back Barrister, Howard's success came from a different era when growing a program as an independent was a viable option.

It should be noted his brief stint at Oklahoma, the only major BCS school he coached with previous success, did not last long or end well.

Overall Howard's point is still correct. The leadership of the head coach and his assistants are critical. Get the right people in place and then facilities, players all of that can happen.

I find the most important comments Howard made to both Larry and Bozich was that UK had to have a come to Jesus experience understanding that our approach to football is as much a problem as anything.

Accepting and even wishing for mediocrity is a problem. The very fact that some at UK would use a 4-8 or or 5-7 record to justify bringing Joker back is a part of the problem.

Howard boasted of being on a collision course with a national championship--the only variable is time.

Maybe under Howard UofL would never reach that plateau. I have to say that I admire and respect the fact that people who played football at minor league baseball park believed they were heading down the glory road.

Meanwhile UK has this attitude of we are not Bama but we should Vandy--but we don't work for it. Now the rally cry is that we should beat Western and ACCEPT losing to UofL.

That is a problem.
  • KSR Twitter Feed