Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Caliipari on Wiltjer

Kyle Wiltjer can make shots as he proved again here Thursday night against Northwood.

The Kentucky sophomore forward was 5-for-8 from the field, including 2-for-3 from 3-point range, and had 12 points in 23 minutes in the 93-61 exhibition victory. However, Wiltjer also had just one offensive rebound — and no defensive rebounds — and only one assist and that limited his playing time.

“I was on him because he's got to come up with balls. You can't play a game thinking, well, if I make shots, I play. My thing is you have no — we'll show them the tape. There were five or six balls that he could have gotten that he didn't. You must get those balls. There's not an option,” said Calipari.

The Kentucky coach doesn’t want to have Wiltjer’s playing time dictated by his shooting ability.

“Now all of a sudden if your game is predicated if he's making shots, do you really want to be that guy? If I don't make shots I play three minutes. If I'm making shots, good, I'll play 28, 30 minutes,” the Kentucky coach said. “Now all of a sudden the rim goes like that (showing how it gets smaller), you can't make shots.

“He is way better than he was (last year). Way more athletic than he was but still has to get in better shape and still anticipate things better. I keep telling him, you must anticipate. You have to see, force yourself, because if he anticipates he's close enough to the guy to guard him. If he doesn't anticipate, he tries to run and then they just run around him.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      bigsky -
      "He's got to come up with some balls". Nice quote. I think he showed gumption choosing UK knowing he'd be out athletic-ed. His challenge will be to fully embrace what Rock Oliver can do for him and then put in the work. That will meet the spirit of the quote as well.
      GhettoBird -
      Great point Sky.
  • KSR Twitter Feed