Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• More Hood against Transy

Junior Jon Hood was coming off an 18-point performance in the Blue-White Game but he didn’t get into Thursday’s exhibition game until the final four minutes when Calipari brought him and Jarrod Polson into the game together. However, after the game Calipari vowed that Hood would play more in Monday’s exhibition against Transylvania.

Calipari said he wanted to see how his top seven players would mesh in this game before going to Hood or Polson, another junior.
    Now I've got to figure out if we can stick in Jon Hood, which I'm going to do against Transy. I told him and Jarrod (Polson) I've got to go with these seven, and I've got to go figure out stuff. We're so far behind,” Calipari said. “But I told him, now seeing that Alex (Poythress) just didn't have the energy to finish the game.

“That means that maybe we shove Jon Hood in there three or four minutes a half while we're playing and that's a rotation where he goes in, and we will look at that against Transy. And Jon Hood is way better, because he is playing within himself. He's playing the way coaches tell him to play and the way I know he should play. So he'll be fine.”

Calipari noted how he got a text earlier in the day from Eloy Vargas, who played sparingly on UK’s championship team last year but is now contemplating where to play professional basketball this year, wishing the Cats luck and thanking him for “everything” the coach had done for him. The text noted that he did not play a lot, but just being at UK “helped me to where I'm trying to go, and I just want to thank you.”

Calipari wants Hood to feel like that with his role.

“That means he (Vargas) knows, yes, I want him to play more, but we care about him, that this is more than just the guys who are playing. I want Jon Hood to feel that way. People around him might be mad he's not playing more. That's how it is. But I want him to know we care and that we're trying to make him better.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Larry, it sounds to me as though Cal may want to use Jon much the way he used Wiltjer last year.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Larry, it sounds to me as though Cal may want to use Jon much the way he used Wiltjer last year.
      The good point compliment right back at you Mick. That's a great analogy.

Larry, really glad you mentioned the Vargas story. I'd encourage you to make that a whole thread, I thought it was a really touching story and Cal seemed very sincere how much it meant to him.

I think the fans have a lot of appreciation, even more than in the past, for the guys on the roster who dont' play a lot of minutes with so much top talent coming in every year. In the past they would probably have played more as upperclassmen but with Cal bringing in such uber talent every year it's tough to get on the court even with the experience. It makes the job of giving 100% every day but not getting minutes even tougher, and I think the fans see that.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post