Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Ryan Harrow

Question: What did you think of the team’s play against Northwood?
    Harrow: “I thought we did good. Coach (John Calipari) said we did better than what he expected, so that was good. That's what comes from the extra load of practices that we've been having and working hard.”

Question: What is it like when Calipari is using so many different combinations of players during a game?
    Harrow: “We've went through it in practice, so we've experienced it with the two bigs or with Kyle (Wiltjer), Willie (Cauley-Stein), and Nerlens (Noel) at the same time so we were kind of prepared for it. He let us know that he was going to be shuffling us around before the game.”

Question: Does that make it harder to get into a rhythm?
    Harrow: “No, because we play like that in practice. In four-minute increments you are with the same team and know what you are going to run with that team and what to expect out of that team and then when the next group of guys get in there, you know what you are going to do with them, too.

Question: How long does it take to gel with a young team like this?
    Harrow: “It's going to take some time because, you know, everybody was the best player on their high school team, and then you have me and Kyle coming back and I didn't play last year, so we are just trying to figure each other out. We all pretty much know what each person does best. ”

Question: Can you tell when things are not clicking quite right?
    Harrow: “Yeah, but it was our first game against somebody else and that is what Coach expected. He says you are going to be wrong 70 percent of the time, so just scramble and play basketball. That is what he brought us here for.

Question: Is there an upside to use so many different lineups?
    Harrow: “Just knowing that we have a lot of guys that can play together and we know what we are supposed to do with that group.”

Question: What was Calipari on you the most about?
    Harrow: “Just not to stop playing on defense. That was the biggest thing with me with defense. He’s not really concerned at the offensive side. He is more concerned with being energetic and never stopping on defense.”

Question: Since Calipari said he was testing players to see how much heat they could take from him during a game, how much heat do you feel he brought your way?
    Harrow: “He yells at me all the time. I have kind of gotten used to it. Him yelling is his regular talk for me now. It just happens.”

Question: Is the game yelling different from the practice yelling?
    Harrow: “No. If you saw the (ESPN) All-Access, he could be talking like this and then all of a sudden he could just go off. You just have to deal with it because he is trying to get the best out of you.”

Question: Any surprise that the third part of the All-Access show had a lot of him yelling at you in practice?
    Harrow: “Yeah, I am pretty sure that is right. He says he is not going to let up on me, and I understand it. He is just trying to get the best out of me. I appreciate that and just have to understand that his yelling is just regular talk I guess.”

Question: Did he do the same thing with Marquiss Teague last year?
    Harrow: “He didn’t yell at Marquis as much. They had a different approach to him. They knew Marquiss was a bulldog. Coach always tells me that I either have to be energetic or I have to be the bulldog and he says I am not the bulldog, so I have to be the energy guy.”

Question: How long did it take to adjust to Calipari’s demeanor?
    Harrow: “I think this week’s practice I have just been listening to him more. Instead of listening to the yelling, I have been taking it all in and able to take his coaching.”

Question: Is he a lot harder on you than last year when you were sitting out as a transfer?
    Harrow: “Well, he barely yelled at me last year so all this yelling kind of threw me for a loop but that is the kind of things you have to expect when you are the point guard of this team and the point guard of such young players. You have to command everybody. The (assistant) coaches tell me not to listen to how he is saying it, but what he is saying. Just take it in and go out there and play.”

Question: What does he mean when he says he wants you to play until the end of each possession?
    Harrow: “He is really just talking about defense with me. I will play good defense and then once the ball gets passed to another guy I just kind of die down. He just wants me to keep being energetic, bouncing and figuring out what is going to be the next play or the next pass.”

Question: Is it harder being the point guard than what you envisioned it would be a year ago?
    Harrow: “Yeah, it is harder than what you actually expected but when you came here the coaches told you it was going to be hard. You just have to take that in and know he is going to get you better and help you do it here and get to the next level.”

Question: What do you see on this team that makes you optimistic for the future?
    Harrow: “Just a lot of us stop playing like he (Calipari) said about me. If we keep playing, you can see how good we can be on defense because all we have to do is play our man and make them drive. If we make them drive, we have Willie down there blocking shots, Nerlens blocking shots, Alex blocking shots. All of them guys can help once they get to the basket.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      ukpumacat -
      Great interview Larry. You asked many of the exact same questions I wanted to know the answers to. Your question about Teague was very insightful as well. Part of me does wonder if Teague would answer that differently. Sometimes a player (Harrow) remembers what they saw toward the end of the year (Cal not yelling at Teague), and may forget how brutal it was at the beginning of the year. Of course, Cal always takes different approaches with different players. My guess is with Harrow, yelling is a way to toughen him and thicken his skin.
      It is very easy to forget that Wall had an awful time his first semester under Cal.
      badrose -
      Awesome stuff, Larry. You got answers we all wanted to know.
  • KSR Twitter Feed