Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• John Calipari Breaks his Team Down

John said he doesn’t know who will be in the starting lineup tomorrow night against Northwood. He said the things he has been tinkering with is combinations. He lamented the bad defensive play of this team. But as usual he said he likes his team. He said they have a chance to be good later in the season.

“Defensively we’re just awful right now,” Cal lamented. “We don’t stay in front of anybody; we’ve got guys stopping left and right and think it’s okay (it wasn’t my man). He said in watching the film on the Michigan State and Northwood game a good big ten team and a team that’s number one in the NAIA.

“The things that we are not doing well will be glaring. As much as I don’t like to play a team this good this early will be good for my team.

He said this team that they are playing tomorrow has all seniors and playing Maryland and Duke will exploit every weakness that they have. He said he will be play the two big men together some tomorrow and what he liked about them is they were talking together out there. “That’s what you want is people that will look out for one another and have each other back.

He again reiriiterates that he’s not concerned who starts the game; it’s who’s out there those last five to seven minutes. But he in essences said his team has a long way to go but he expects them to get there.
    Comments 7 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I believe him that we have a long way to go. I hope we start improving quickly.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I believe him that we have a long way to go. I hope we start improving quickly.
      This. We have the talent but they don't learn much about defense in AAU ball. I expect the ugliest defensive team we've seen under Cal, but I expect it to get fixed pretty quick too.
      Darryl -
      Calipari has never had a good team to start the season.....according to him.

He has the most talented team in the nation with the most projected NBA 1st rounders. Sorry, Cal, everyone knows I
      love ya, but at UK no "bridge years" are allowed.

Go get em.

Darryl
      CitizenBBN -
      True Darryl, but we've turned in some ugly early defensive efforts. That 2010 team was horrid their first few weeks.
      UKHistory -
      Defensively I am pretty worried about Duke. Northwood (I keep calling them Longwood) is a good NAIA team. This will be a "get your attention" kind of game most likely.

I really want to see Nerlens against someone other than Willie. More questions than I have had about UK in quite a while. This team could have used that Canada trip we took back in the fall of 2010.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Defensively I am pretty worried about Duke. Northwood (I keep calling them Longwood) is a good NAIA team. This will be a "get your attention" kind of game most likely.
      Agreed, but what I was thinking the other day was that Maryland would be an excellent preparatory game for Duke (and now that I know a little more about Northwood's experience and coaching, like you, I believe it's a nice first warm-up to get their heads on straight as it were).

Maryland, though not thought to be an upper echelon ACC team this year, is interesting to look at on the surface because they actually have a great deal of size in particular places and more than a little talent that could challenge UK's greatest strengths and demand some defensive intensity.

They also have a nice little recruiting class and I wondered if THOSE newbies would have a chip on their shoulders for not being rated as highly as UK's Freshmen (I believe Cleare, the biggest and best of their class, is at about #25 or something, but Sam Cassell Jr., if he is anything like his Dad for example, could bring some toughness to the table).

We have to defend the perimeter against Duke and, though I am no Plumlee "fan", Mason is easily the best of that bunch. I will also be interested to see if Coach Calipari puts WCS in to out-quick Ryan Kelly and keep him from firing threes while forcing him down low. Of course, I would LIKE to believe Kyle could stay on him. We shall see.
      Edward100 -
      I watched the game tonight and thought they played better than I thought they would, being their first game. They seemed to get better as the game wore on and the second half they were getting more comfortable with each other.
  • KSR Twitter Feed