Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Saturdays Telling Scrimmage

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Throughout the spring and summer there have been many pre-conceiving notions mostly about the starting quarterback. Most of them were what was said out of the heart rather than the head.

As early as Monday of this week by a coach, it was a strong notion that Joey Gatewood would be the starter. After the five days of practice, Coach Vince Marrow said Tuesday that he saw some incredibly positive things from Will Levis.

“I like way the ball is coming out of his hand,” Marrow said. “He is making the right reads and showing timely progress.” He is more consistent than Joey Gatewood, Joey Gatewood and Beau Allen are still delivering some “WOW” moment’s.“ At quarterback all three of them are looking good.” The fact that he had a couple of years with the Nittany Lions that give him a head’s at studying the playbook. It was delivered to him long before he arrived at UK. Levis being the bright young man that he is, helps him to apply the playbook on the football field. Saturday’s scrimmage and the one the following Saturday will go a long way in determining the starter under center. We can rest assured that Gatewood is not going down without a fight because he showed lots in the spring to be the strong contender that he is.

Isn’t it strange that from the wide receiving of the game all the talk has been about Wan’Dale Robinson and the dynamic play he brings to the table? Not to diminish, one iota of that phenomenon, but all the talk since fan day and practices after, has been about walk-on receiver Rahsaan Lewis. The fantastic play of Lewis witnessed on fan-day is not a one-time thing. He did this in spring practice, too.

There was one such moment in a scrimmage that drew some fanfare from his teammates. “I was on a thirty-yard out route Beau (Allen) looked my way seeing I was double-covered, one underneath and one over the top.” Lewis explained. “He looked away and came back to me anyway trusting I would make the play. I went up in the air and made the grab between the two defenders.” Coach Liam Coen praised his ability to make plays saying he can really leap. He said to have a 45-inch vertical to go with his generous height measurement. You know I am a strickler for that.

The question is how did he make his way up to UK from Florida? The All-Pro Ray Lewis offspring had a connection to Coach Jovon Bouknight when he was at Utah State.

On another note, Michael Drennen ll has been move to the running back room. He beefed up to 200-pounds and in the recruiting-process was listed as an Athlete. Running back coach John Settle recruited as a running back at Wisconsin. Settle has the reputation of being the best running backs coach on the nation.

This move is a strong indication that buttresses Liam Coen notion that the running backs are going figure strong into the passing game. There will be times that three running backs will be in the formation. Seemingly, the way Coen’s off is going to function, Kentucky offense is going to be hard to gameplan against.

The move of Izayah Cummings to tight end is something that Marrow envisioned at Male High School. He has surprised Mark Stoops and his coaching staff at how well he is grasping the move. There seems to be a lot of excitement at the prospect of he “Nightmare-Mismatches he can present.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post