Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Phillips, Barnhart haven't addressed future

By LARRY VAUGHT

His job status has to be in jeopardy, but give Kentucky coach Joker Phillips credit for keeping his sense of humor.

At Monday’s weekly press conference, he was asked how he dealt with speculation that the Joker Phillips’ era at Kentucky is over after three years because of his team’s 1-8 record after Saturday’s loss at Missouri.

“I was coming over here today and got in car and my seat was hot. I looked up and hit my seat warmer,” Phillips laughed and said.

What about any talks with UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart about his future?

“I was going to tell you Mitch and I talked ... we talked about an extension. I was just kidding,” Phillips grinned and said. “No, it hasn’t changed. We haven’t talked. Just been small talk. Talking like friends do weekly.”

So no conversation about his future?

“No, we have not and it has been his policy to wait until the end of the year,” Phillips said

He says the speculation about his future has not changed the way UK recruits.

“I have had to recuit this way most of my career,” Phillips said. “I don’t think about the media or what you guys write or think. I think about what recruits are thinking. We sell what we do and have had success doing that.”

Phillips noted that while he worries about all his players, he wants none of them worrying about his future.

“They are 22 year olds. They need to have fun, go to school and play ball. That’s what they are here for. I never bring it up,” Phillips said.

Phillips said he often has friends and/or ex-UK players come to practice and talk about how “upbeat and energetic” the players are.

“I am so proud of how the veterans have handled this also,” Phillips said. “They have been good role models to these younger kids. The younger players came here with hopes of playing and they are getting to and it has really helped the way they prepare. These young kids are coming to practice every day ready to work.”

Phillips said he plans to start Jalen Whitlow at quarterback this week against Vanderbilt but will also have a “plan” to get freshman Patrick Towles in the game again. He did that after Whitlow led two successful drives to start the game at Missouri but Towles could not generate a first down in two series and UK’s offense was stagnant the rest of the game.

After the Missouri game, offensive coordinator Randy Sanders suggested he had second thoughts about sticking to the pregame plan. Phillips said he had no second thoughts.

So you and Sanders disagree?

“We don’t disagree. We both agree he (Towles) would go in the third series,” Phillips said. “Again, looking back probably shouldn’t (have changed quarterbacks) because it didn’t work out and get questions for you guys.”
    Comments 19 Comments
      LakeCat -
      Thanks Larry for the coverage. I would be in a good humor if I was making 1.8 million a year and if I get fired get a few million more. If true, the fact he and MB have had no serious conversations about the direction of this program is appalling and grossly incompetent managment, IMO.
      Darrell KSR -
      One of my pet peeves is for someone to respond with an answer that it is "policy."

Policy is fine. It is necessary for orderly conduct of an organization. But policy must not be the answer; it must be the culmination of an answer.

A man comes in to a restaurant and has no legs. The restaurant manager tells him he cannot be served there, because "no shoes, no service," because "that's our policy."

I know that's Joker relaying Mitch's policy, but Mitch needs to speak, regardless of his "policy."
      BigBlueBrock -
      Barnhart has demonstrated his spinelessness in the past, no one should be surprised by the fact he won't show his face or talk about any of this.
      KeithKSR -
      If Joker had discussions with Barnhart I would suspect that he would have enough class to not break the news in a weekly presser, that is Mitch's job.
      jazyd -
      My thoughts. This doesn't need to be public knowledge, but the conversations need to be taking place. But I do think MB needs to say that he and Joker will have their year end talk as soon as the season ends. Total silence is not golden.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      If Joker had discussions with Barnhart I would suspect that he would have enough class to not break the news in a weekly presser, that is Mitch's job.
      LarryVaught1 -
      mitch needs to talk
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
      Barnhart has demonstrated his spinelessness in the past, no one should be surprised by the fact he won't show his face or talk about any of this.
      "Shut up!!!" Not you, Brock. "Shut up" is all the Dinosaur has had to say to anyone about our coaching position. Has anyone seen MB lately?
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      "Has anyone seen MB lately?
      I saw him on the sideline in his "coaching attire" last game. Maybe he was to blame for the 2nd half.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      I saw him on the sideline in his "coaching attire" last game. Maybe he was to blame for the 2nd half.
      By extension, he's to blame for all the halves.
      BigBlueBrock -
      You know, I read the OP again and Joker's attitude in all this is kind of infuriating. I mean, he's sitting on a 1-8 season and he's hyucking it up like there's no issues? I'm about ready to run the man out on a rail, former UK player or not.
      LakeCat -
      You know, I read the OP again and Joker's attitude in all this is kind of infuriating. I mean, he's sitting on a 1-8 season and he's hyucking it up like there's no issues? I'm about ready to run the man out on a rail, former UK player or not.
      More I think about it, you are exactly right BBB. Joking about turning up his heated seat in his car. I am sure he drives a nice one on the 5 million to date he has made as head coach. That's 1.25 million for every SEC win. He ought to act as mad as the fan base but all is well with he and his buddy MB. Who is being the buddy to the fan base that picks up the bills for this garbage?
      CitizenBBN -
      IMO we need to not read much into Joker's sense of humor right now. I've been in situations so bad all you could do was laugh. It beats suicide. I can think of 2 or 3 professionally that were truly awful, and at some point you really do start to find the humor in it. Dark humor is pain looked at sideways and that's what he's doing.

I do think he's probably buying into the excuses of injury and youth more than he should, but I don't think he is really flippant about the state of things. There's a point at which there isn't anything left to say but maybe a dark turn of humor on it.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      mitch needs to talk
      All he's doing is digging himself a deeper hole. As frustration mounts it makes it less likely the fans are satisfied with whatever hire he makes, makes them less likely to buy tickets, leaves them short tempered and impatient for the next coach.

"All is well" wont' work, but "you're right this stinks and we're going to try to fix it" would be useful. Wouldn't make everyone fall in love with him, but at the margin a lot of fans aren't breaking down each of his hires, they just want to know their frustrations are being felt and acted upon, and the powers that be agree this is unacceptable.
      millsforthree -
      I'm pretty sure CJP knows his fate, whether its announced publicly or not. Mitch needs to make an announcement during the off week so UK fans can turn out for the Samford game and show CJP some thanks (earned or not) for his time.
      BigBlueBrock -
      With how frustrated the fans are, laughing about it right now is not going to go over that well.
      Terry Blue -
      Has Tennessee, Auburn, or Arkansas fired their coach yet?
      CitizenBBN -
      With how frustrated the fans are, laughing about it right now is not going to go over that well.
      I understand that, and for public consumption he should probably not do it, but I don't think it indicates a lack of concern or frustration with the situation. It's just his way of handling what has to be a miserable experience of going to these pressers to talk about the many ways in which you stink at your job. that's emotionally crushing for anyone, and humor is one way to try to get through it.

It's easy to say "I'd be happy if I were making millions" and no doubt in the long run he's made millions and that sure is nice compared to us working stiffs, but in the here and now that money will do little to mitigate knowing people think you're bad at your job, letting down the program, costing the school millions, and then having to answer questions about.

Twice in my professional career I had projects blow up in my face. I did my best and have had many tougher ones do well, but these lined up for numerous reasons to fail badly. Some was under my control, some wasn't. Some that was under my control were employees not doing their jobs, but in the end I hired them and assigned them the job. It was pure hell trying to get through them and fix them and to stand before those to who I had to answer and tell them it was a disaster.

Mostly I should have seen how unlikely to succeed they were and never accepted the jobs, which is different than Joker b/c Brooks left things in reasonably good shape by UK standards. Both of mine were messes before I started on them at least.

Joker definitely cares about this program and while I wanted him gone last year and think he should resign himself if Mitch doesn't have the guts to act I won't be mad at him for his attitude about this mess. He's failed professionally in a big way, and I'm frustrated and angry it's come to this, but I don't doubt his desire to do a good job or the pain he feels having done a bad one.

Now, if he can't man up and see this isn't working and fights to stay on then I still may not be mad about his attitude but I will feel bad for him to be so deluded. I don't think that will happen, but we'll see.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Has Tennessee, Auburn, or Arkansas fired their coach yet?
      Arkansas does not have to fire their interim coach. He knew he had but one year. I don't think Tennessee has made a decision or is currently planning to do so.

The Auburn University president has publicly spoken to the issue of the football program to let alumni and fans know he is working the issue. He is not hiding under his desk.
      dtalbersjr -
      I'll show up for the Samford game if Joker is fired before that, but it sure won't be to show any appreciation or thanks for Joker. I have no sympathy at all, and I'll be thrilled to see him go. Whatever goodwill he had as a former player has been destroyed by what he's done the last 3 years.
  • KSR Twitter Feed