Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky Baseball’s Mason Hazelwood to Return for Final Season

The left-hander has been one of Kentucky’s most successful pitchers over the past few seasons

LEXINGTON, Ky.– Kentucky left-handed pitcher Mason Hazelwood will return for the 2022 season, the senior announced on Thursday. He is the third experienced arm to return in the past two days, joining right-handers Sean Harney and Daniel Harper.

Hazelwood, from Salvisa, Kentucky, was off to a sensational start in 2021 before an elbow injury prematurely ended his campaign after five starts. He underwent Tommy John surgery in March and continues the rehabilitation process with an eye toward next spring.

“We’re thrilled Mason is returning,” UK coach Nick Mingione said. “He continues to put in the work it’s going to take to come back ready to help us next spring. He will bring a wealth of experience to the pitching staff.”

The 6-foot-5 lefty was 3-0 with a 2.13 earned run average in 2021, which included one relief appearance in addition to his starting assignments. He pitched 25.1 innings, allowing only six earned runs, striking out 32 and walking just nine while holding opponents to a .228 batting average. He recorded a career-high 12 strikeouts in 6.0 innings vs. Georgia State and holds a career strikeouts-per-nine innings rate of 10.0 per nine.

Hazelwood has been a model of development, adding strength and velocity to his frame since arriving on campus before the 2018 season. He has a 1.90 ERA over the past two seasons, has held opposing batters to a .204 average for his career and ranks third on the school’s career fewest hits allowed per nine innings rate of 6.67, just behind former teammate and first-round MLB draftee Zack Thompson. He’s allowed just 78 hits in 105.1 career innings.
    Comments 4 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      I hope he can return to effective action by mid year 2022. I seem to recall that he had the surgery in March of 2021.
      MickintheHam -
      He's taking some time off for a week's vacation. I'm sure he wanted to get the decision out of the way before he left town. This is the first good baseball news in 3 months. I hope this means one or two others who were thinking about leaving, will stay.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      He's taking some time off for a week's vacation. I'm sure he wanted to get the decision out of the way before he left town. This is the first good baseball news in 3 months. I hope this means one or two others who were thinking about leaving, will stay.
      http://www.kysportsreport.com/forums...ad.php?t=61609
      MickintheHam -
      Those are not the ones I am referencing. harney and Harper were in the fold 3 days ago. There are are 2 or3 that will require extra work to retain.
  • KSR Twitter Feed